The Core by Peter V. Brett (Book 5 of The Demon Cycle)

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
So we finally got the closing book.....always a weird feeling for me to finish a series I enjoy.

I know a lot of people love the first book and anything after that kind of gets put to the side but I have never felt that way. The first book is definitely the best and certainly a fantastic book, but for me I liked it so much that I didn't mind the expansion of the world and getting more of the day to day stuff in the books leading up to the finale. Anyway, back to this book and what I thought about it.

Ultimately it finished well and in my opinion wrapped everything up nicely. There was a good balance between POV's, action, and pacing and finished with just enough promise for the potential of further exploration of this world in a future series. The one thing I found lacking was that there was no real wow factor. I have nothing in particular to complain about but just didn't get the final bang I had hoped for. To put it another way, let's say it is Christmas time and you are a kid who asked for 2 things; a PS4 and a shirt you really wanted. This book was getting the shirt. You wanted it but it isn't something crazy cool like the PS4 that you want to call all of your friends and tell them about.

8/10

At some point I will go back through the series and probably end up being more solid on a score for the final series but from what I remember I would probably go with 8 or 8.5/10

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I will probably read it eventually. I mean, I've made it this far already. And it *is* better than Sword of Truth.

I hated all the pseudo-Middle Eastern world-building stuff in books 2-4 so with that in mind, what do you think my chances are of enjoying the last one?

Khartun

Just finished The Core last week.
The only problem I had with it was:

The whole Ashia(sp?) section of her going to find Abban because Inevera told her the dice said he had some part yet to play. Then he didn't. Unless they were just talking about him having a mental fight with the mind demon but that's weak. Arlen would have killed him anyway. Just seemed like a lot of useless filler.

Other than that I enjoyed the last book quite a bit. I'll probably rank it 4 stars on GR.

Cyphon

I will probably read it eventually. I mean, I've made it this far already. And it *is* better than Sword of Truth.

I hated all the pseudo-Middle Eastern world-building stuff in books 2-4 so with that in mind, what do you think my chances are of enjoying the last one?
Yeah I think you can. There is a nice balance between a bunch of different POV's. There is still some stuff on the Krasian end of things but it doesn't dominate the story.

The layout of this one actually feels like the last Wheel of Time book.

Went and fixed the title for you @Cyphon
It was The Cord
lol
Thank you so much. It was driving me up a wall that I couldn't edit it.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I loved the previous books but gave up on the last one. I was so confused with all the same-named people that I couldn't get into it. But I wasn't as interested in the desert people. I wanted to get back to the village or the people in the fort. I was much more invested in them.