The Dark Tower trailer

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I expected to be disappointed, but this trailer takes the cake. What the hell? Roland is a superhero? And what about the story? It appears it doesn't even resemble that of the books. And where is the rest of the ka-tet?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
And where is the rest of the ka-tet?
Well to be fair in that regard, Roland only gets them in the second book. I think this is centered around the first book for the most part.

The Gunslinger is definitely a hard book to adapt, being all atmosphere, little plot and overall a weird book. But what they did with it is typical Hollywood treatment. They don't know how to be subtle lol

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Well to be fair in that regard, Roland only gets them in the second book. I think this is centered around the first book for the most part.

The Gunslinger is definitely a hard book to adapt, being all atmosphere, little plot and overall a weird book. But what they did with it is typical Hollywood treatment. They don't know how to be subtle lol
Okay, I'm done with raging. I just read that the changes are attributable to an element in the Dark Tower book-series that I cannot divulge yet (it would be a major spoiler). It somewhat assuages my ire.

Matticus Primal

Journeyed there and back again
What did it for me, the line I couldn't cross, was when he reloaded by tossing the bullets in the air and catching them with his revolver. Seriously? That's some Fast and the Furious shit that doesn't belong here.

Mind you, spinning the cylinder and dropping them in was pretty cool.

Derk of Derkholm

Okay, I'm done with raging. I just read that the changes are attributable to an element in the Dark Tower book-series that I cannot divulge yet (it would be a major spoiler)
Well, put it in spoilers, for those who have also read the books already :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Well, put it in spoilers, for those who have also read the books already :)
King and the production company said that the movie is placed chronically after the book series. It's about Roland's final Dark Tower quest. In the movie he purportedly had the Horn of Eld for example. The fact that it is a subsequent run-through explains the differences in regard to the book series. It feels like a bit of an easy cop out for me. I think they used this excuse in order to not include certain characters and to slim down the big story so that it is manageable to be out in a movie format.

Matticus Primal

King and the production company said that the movie is placed chronically after the book series. It's about Roland's final Dark Tower quest. In the movie he purportedly had the Horn of Eld for example. The fact that it is a subsequent run-through explains the differences in regard to the book series. It feels like a bit of an easy cop out for me. I think they used this excuse in order to not include certain characters and to slim down the big story so that it is manageable to be out in a movie format.
You know, that is probably the best/ only thing that they could have said to placate me. It gives those unfamiliar with the franchise an easy access point, with the option of checking out the source material if they are intrigued, while also giving fans something new. Yeah, it can be seen as a bit of a cop out, but it is the simplest solution, which sort of makes it the best.

So now I'll just be pissed about the anime-esque action sequences.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
You know, that is probably the best/ only thing that they could have said to placate me. It gives those unfamiliar with the franchise an easy access point, with the option of checking out the source material if they are intrigued, while also giving fans something new. Yeah, it can be seen as a bit of a cop out, but it is the simplest solution, which sort of makes it the best.

So now I'll just be pissed about the anime-esque action sequences.
Haha, I know right! My rage has subsided now that I've heard the explanation. Too bad I probably won't see some of my favorite characters though.

Anyways, does anyone know it this will be a series or will it be a one-off thing?

Matticus Primal

Haha, I know right! My rage has subsided now that I've heard the explanation. Too bad I probably won't see some of my favorite characters though.

Anyways, does anyone know it this will be a series or will it be a one-off thing?
Years back, when Javier Bardiem (sic?) was supposed to be Roland, they had something like seven films planned with Ron Howard directing and a TV series supposedly tied in. Mind you, that was at the height of the Marvel-mimicry phase in Hollywood where everyone was trying to make their own interconnected universe. With most of those lesser universes imploding, they scaled back and gave us this single Gunslinger film, and I have not seen any mention in the trades about a sequel. Yet.

Because, as we all know, all it takes is one successful film for there to be a sequel. Seriously, there's even a sequel to Chinatown!

Sparrow

Yikes!
Dreadful!
If someone hadn't told be it was The Dark Tower, I would not of recognized any of the characters. Yet another movie adaption of Stephen King's work bites the dust.

Hand of Fear

I think I will read all the books first before I watch the film, every time I see a film before reading the books I can't get the mental images out of my head of the actors.

paul james

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I found the series kept getting better and better. I read Wind Through The Keyhole last but it can be read between Wizard and Glass and Wolves Of The Calla as this is where it occurs in the timeline. Also don't miss the short story The Little Sisters Of Eluria it is in the collection Everything's Eventual and features Roland. I cannot see me ever watching this film or films?, I would rather re-read this great series.

Derk of Derkholm

But .... But ....

What I outright hated about The Dark Tower was the end, when you are eager to find out how it ends and then
it basically just starts again, with the Man in Black fleeing through the desert, and Roland following him...which was actually the beginning of the first book, so not "an end" at all IMO, rather just a "round and round it goes" :mad:
.... so how does this then fit?

Or did I misunderstand anything?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
But .... But ....

What I outright hated about The Dark Tower was the end, when you are eager to find out how it ends and then
it basically just starts again, with the Man in Black fleeing through the desert, and Roland following him...which was actually the beginning of the first book, so not "an end" at all IMO, rather just a "round and round it goes" :mad:
.... so how does this then fit?

Or did I misunderstand anything?
They're saying the movie is basically the story of what happens after the very end.
which is the last run-through. The last Tower-quest.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might be in the minority here, but I liked the trailer.

Read the books and didnt love em. Didnt even like most of the books, but finished the series, only to be disappointed there as well. Theyve said theyre not making a straight adaptation, and even though it looks a bit simplistic, Ive always loved a western, which I hope this one turns out to be.

If nothing else, Im happy to get to experience the final quest.

S. K. Inkslinger

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
I do look forward to the film though. (Well, I'm getting a few free movie tickets around the time the movie came out, so there's that.) I guess we are forced to wait and see if this will flop or soar.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Well this came out and it's looking like it's gonna be a flop.
It has 35 on metacritic and 19% percent on rotten tomatoes.

Common critiques I have heard is that Elba did an ok job, but that McConaughey is a laughable villain and generally did a horrible job. I am very disappointed to hear this. I'll be honest, I didn't think of him as much of an actor, until first season of True Detective, where I just fell in love with his performance.
Regarding the movie itself, it's said that they introduced a lot of plot lines that led nowhere, didn't give characters enough time or development to make the audience care.

The biggest critique goes to horrible editing that resulted in choppy scenes and lack of flow, even for action scenes. That seems to be one objection even people who like the movie agree with.

Finally it is said that people who know nothing about the books would probably like this more and that fans of The Dark Tower series are more likely to leave the cinema disappointed.

It's also worth noting that the director http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1064048/ has way more credits as a screenplay writer than a director. And the movies he did direct are nothing I ever heard of. I mean he had no blockbusters or big successes.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-dark-tower

Guys will you go see this? Personally I think I'll wait until it comes on amazon prime.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Well this came out and it's looking like it's gonna be a flop.
It has 35 on metacritic and 19% percent on rotten tomatoes.

Common critiques I have heard is that Elba did an ok job, but that McConaughey is a laughable villain and generally did a horrible job. I am very disappointed to hear this. I'll be honest, I didn't think of him as much of an actor, until first season of True Detective, where I just fell in love with his performance.
Regarding the movie itself, it's said that they introduced a lot of plot lines that led nowhere, didn't give characters enough time or development to make the audience care.

The biggest critique goes to horrible editing that resulted in choppy scenes and lack of flow, even for action scenes. That seems to be one objection even people who like the movie agree with.

Finally it is said that people who know nothing about the books would probably like this more and that fans of The Dark Tower series are more likely to leave the cinema disappointed.

It's also worth noting that the director http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1064048/ has way more credits as a screenplay writer than a director. And the movies he did direct are nothing I ever heard of. I mean he had no blockbusters or big successes.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-dark-tower

Guys will you go see this? Personally I think I'll wait until it comes on amazon prime.
I'll wait until it comes on Netflix or Ziggo XL (movie and series subscription). Some friends of mine who have read the series says the movie sucks big time. It hardly bears any resemblance to the books, the lead actor is horribly miscast and the vilain (like you said) is laughable. Too bad, as I was really looking forward to this.