The Demon Cycle

Kevin O Donoghue

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Hey

I am just wondering if The Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett is interesting enough to get in to? I am at a lull in my reading and waiting for Grey Sister and Wrath of Empire to come out. Is this a series that is worth my time starting and finishing?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
I think the majority of people will tell you no but I will say yes. That being said, I will try to give you a fair evaluation for making your decision.

The first book is great. Should definitely rank up there with some of the better book 1's in fantasy. What happens after is where people start to fall away from the series. So in the first book it follows the MC who ultimately becomes the Warded Man. During this progression he travels and ends up in a place with Krasians (another group of people of a different race and belief system). In books 2 and 3 you get the Krasians viewpoints and some overlapping of story that you already got in book one. For me it wasn't a problem because I enjoyed the magic and setting so much that I didn't mind some revisiting along with the new stuff each book had to offer.

So I guess ultimately I would tell you to absolutely read book 1. If you love it give 2 a try and make your decision from there. My memory is a little foggy but I believe 2 and 3 are somewhat similar in that you get some overlapping and a little bit of stall in the plot progression.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Book one is absolutely great as Cyphon has already mentioned above.

For me the problem is the way the story progresses afterwards. It just doesn't make any sense. You are put into a very dynamic Medieval-European setting in the first book with a touch of Arabian world-building in just a few places in the story-line and you are like - OK, this is a very interesting world. And then in the next book the arabian setting completely takes over and almost drowns the theme of the first book and its world-building, you are presented with a bunch of character you don't give a **** about, because none of them is one of the original tree protagonists.

It's just a very poorly executed continuation of a very promising first book. The original protagonists, the original world-building, the original tone and conflict of the story are being smothered as the story progresses, and that's just a very stupid way of writing a story. You get absolutely no hints in the first book about where the story is about to go, it's basically two completely different stories sharing a conflict, and you get aware of the second only after you start the 2nd book, and the 2nd story is a complete bore. At least it was for me.

And I cannot remember for sure, but while reading the last book a year ago I was like... okay, was there as much sexual innuendos in the first four books? I've felt awkward with all the unfunny sexual jokes and musings in the 5th book - basically every consecutive book does its best to get away from the awesomeness of the first one, and that's just not OK at all.

I'd give the series something like 6.5/10 or 7/10 at most. The first book is 10/10, the last one could be 7.5/10 or even closer to 8/10, but 2 to 4 were either completely redundant or completely missing out on escalating the main conflict and character arcs to some at least mildly meaningful place.

I've actually listened to the first four books as Graphic Audios - it helps going through them faster and it helps in hiding some of the story's shortcoming by the more dynamic feel of the medium.

If I sound somewhat harsh and bitter, it's because I hate it when promising series totally derail into obscurity because of poor writing and plotting decisions. Peter V. Brett, Anthony Ryan and George R. R. Martin should probably gather once a week to an Anonymous Crappy Sequels Addiction meeting, to share their experience in ruining a 10/10 fantasy series with too much world-building non-sense.

Last edited:

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
Hey

I am just wondering if The Demon Cycle series by Peter V Brett is interesting enough to get in to? I am at a lull in my reading and waiting for Grey Sister and Wrath of Empire to come out. Is this a series that is worth my time starting and finishing?
I love the series. However, lots of members here don't care for it as was stated.