• Not my cup of tea

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • SUCKY... ABSOLUTELY SUCKY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hameed Catel

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Hey Guys,

So as i'm currently reading the Dresden files and there isn't a thread on it in the book club, i decided to make one. A place where anyone that has read the Harry Dresden books can come and rant.. appreciate and discuss the series :)

I'm currently reading Small Favor... just started so don't know how good it is yet but White Night was awesome, Proven Guilty was even better.

I'll start the thread of with a simple question... does anyone actually know how old Harry is?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm guessing mid to late 30s??

I voted 'pretty good' .. I read them on my kindle on my commute in and out of work, so only about 25 mins per day - they're kind of perfect for this as they're fairly easy reading, easy to pick up again after a few days off, and are short enough that I'm getting through them at a steady pace. Kind of the opposite of Malazan ..

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
I find the series absolutely great. It's not an epic or something world changing but from book 3 onwards it grows into a really cool story and I found myself really invested in the characters. Regarding Harry's age I'd also go with mid to late 30's.

Hameed Catel

.. I read them on my kindle on my commute in and out of work..
I absolutely agree, they're light and easy reading... like if i had just read a heavy and depressingly dark book like one of the black company's series.. i can always come back to the familiar world of Harry Dresden. It's like a having a favorite tv show, that you enjoy.. great but not epic or life changing. just like Joao said

Hameed Catel

Later on in the book harry gets these rings that store up a little energy every-time he moves his hand and he can release the energy whenever he wishes... doesn't it remind you guys of Sazed's metal arm bands from Mistborn

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Later on in the book harry gets these rings that store up a little energy every-time he moves his hand and he can release the energy whenever he wishes... doesn't it remind you guys of Sazed's metal arm bands from Mistborn
Yeah, I agree to a certain extent, yet Dresden was before this series.

I think he is portrayed as mid 30s, but I have a feeling he is older, because Wizards live longer?

Randal Doering

Possibly a Darkfriend
I read Storm Front a few years ago and enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was particularly innovative or clever. The writing was serviceable, the storytelling fun, but you can find a hundred other authors with similar skill sets and abilities. There are other books I wanted to read more, so I never picked up any further books in the series.

ReguIa

The writing was serviceable, the storytelling fun, but you can find a hundred other authors with similar skill sets and abilities
You can say that about the first book, but honestly when you look at what he's done with the series as a whole, not many others could have pulled that off. It's definitely one of the best ongoing series in fantasy.

Derk of Derkholm

I read Storm Front a few years ago and enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was particularly innovative or clever.
I had the same impression after reading the first book - actually, I found that it had a lot of shortcomings and was not planning to pick up another one - but I am quite happy that I still continued in the series and found that it improved considerably over time.

Peat

Yeah, I'm not a huge Storm Front fan either. I wish I could pick the exact book where I think the series really takes off to recommend to newcomers but for some reason I find it difficult to pinpoint where exactly. I do know its pretty common to think the first few books are okay and then really fall in love with the series though.

For me, the series is currently one of the best things for sheer entertainment value in fantasy today.

ReguIa

A big reason why I love it is because of how easy it is to relate to so much of it. Can't mention it because of spoilers but it's much about family, friends, love and all that normal stuff. Difficult choices and consequences that impact both Harry and the rest.

Another great thing about it is that while all the books are very fast paced and only span a few days, there's usually a 1 year gap between books. So I mean, the story so far has been going for 15 years I think? It has been a great way for Butcher to show how each story impacts everyone's lives. There's this interview I watched way back with Patrick Rothfuss and Jim and he brought up exactly that. Butcher said he spends a great deal of time between books thinking about how what has happened, choices and events, how that will impact the overall story going forward. Then he starts the next book a year later in the timeline.

Easy to relate to a lonely guy living in his basement barely making a living by trying his best to help people. As compared to big epics where the main characters are often emperor's and kings and all that.

So after a few books you've basically seen Harry's life change over the course of 5-10-15 years. After that much time you're really into the story, and events and choices will make you cry, yell and laugh :)

For me the series started becoming a favorite with Summer Knight.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not a huge Storm Front fan either. I wish I could pick the exact book where I think the series really takes off to recommend to newcomers.
Grave Peril, Book 3.

I introduced my friend about 2 years ago and he has read all the books now.

Theophania

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I read somewhere that Harry is about 24-ish in Storm Front. That makes a lot of sense: in a lot of ways, he's got the blithe arrogance of the young person who hasn't been kicked in the teeth by life enough times to lose it. Yet. So, given the timeline of the books, by Skin Game, he's probably 38-40-ish. Which is still 'young punk' in wizard terms...

it's much about family, friends, love and all that normal stuff. Difficult choices and consequences that impact both Harry and the rest.
This is one of the things I think sets Dresden Files apart from other urban fantasy series: the supporting cast. Dresden Files is the only one I can think of where the main character has so many well-written, well-rounded characters around him who all have their own part to play, and their own skills and strengths. For example, Murphy has been in it since Storm Front, and she's got skills and resources that Harry doesn't have - and she grows and changes as a character too. She doesn't just exist as some kind of slot-machine that Harry can put in a coin, press a button, and get the goods when he needs police input. It's interesting that the Dresden Files are one of the few, I think, where several of the secondary characters are well-rounded enough to have their own POV short stories.

Likewise, the bad guys all have their own reasons for doing things, which may or may not be obvious. And we have characters like Lara Raith, whose position on the good-versus-evil scale is ambiguous, to say the least. Or even Johnny Marcone.

Another thing that sets the Dresden Files apart is Butcher's planning. You don't see it unless you read most, or all, of the books, but Butcher sets stuff up in advance. Stuff happens in Book 3, for instance, that only becomes important several books later - and there are indications that we still haven't worked through everything Butcher set up. It's very gratifying when something happens, and you think, "So that's why that thing happened X books ago!"

Jim Butcher... one of my favourite authors. :)

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Jim Butcher is brilliant at pacing. I've read all of them and enjoyed them all. Harry's always got a bundle of problems to deal with all at once.

I was worried that the later books dealing with the Fae would get bogged down, but they didn't. Anxiously awaiting the next book.

Darth Tater

Anyone who is crazy about Dresden I highly recommend that you read the Bobbie Dollar series byTed Williams. Even if you don’t like his writing normally this is very different. It is very fast-paced, faster than Dresden, and also narrated by the main character It is an urban fantasy but much of the story takes place in heaven and hell as well.

Bierschneeman

Anyone who is crazy about Dresden I highly recommend that you read the Bobbie Dollar series byTed Williams. Even if you don’t like his writing normally this is very different. It is very fast-paced, faster than Dresden, and also narrated by the main character It is an urban fantasy but much of the story takes place in heaven and hell as well.
how many pages is it.

my thought is fast paced can be good, in "gravity" it s what kept you on your toes.

but if it's fast paced aannndd short it can be bad like so many recent Disney (disney proper, not roping in umbrellad companies like pixar) movies. look at princess and the frog. starts beautifully, slow , comprehensive, with some character development. then bam. put on high speed , cram in twelve more characters taking up time for multiple introductions and multiple resolutions, so there is no more time left for character development or actual plot. they need too many characters to write in, so they can sell toys, but they have a 90 minute restriction. fast and short not good... typically

Darth Tater

how many pages is it.

my thought is fast paced can be good, in "gravity" it s what kept you on your toes.

but if it's fast paced aannndd short it can be bad like so many recent Disney (disney proper, not roping in umbrellad companies like pixar) movies. look at princess and the frog. starts beautifully, slow , comprehensive, with some character development. then bam. put on high speed , cram in twelve more characters taking up time for multiple introductions and multiple resolutions, so there is no more time left for character development or actual plot. they need too many characters to write in, so they can sell toys, but they have a 90 minute restriction. fast and short not good... typically
No. It’s Tad Williams high quality. Each book 400-450 pages. He covered all the bases. I highlighted the pace because his books generally take a while to unwind and I wanted to differentiate this one from them. Some people do not like that. I have loved two of his other series, his short stories were good, and a standalone was great. I quit his Otherland series after one book. My goal was to point out how Dresden fans would love this.

I thought Dresden was good but I was not as crazy about it as most people. I liked this better but not nearly as much as MST and Shadowmarch. But urban fantasy is not my favorite.

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

400 pages. exactly what I want to hear. (adds to summit of TBR pile)

Derk of Derkholm

Have we had the reference to Richard Kadrey's "Sandman Slim" yet?
Might also work fine for Dresden fans...

Derk of Derkholm

Anyone who is crazy about Dresden I highly recommend that you read the Bobbie Dollar series byTed Williams.
Thanks for the suggestion, have started the first book and like it a lot :)