The Expanse

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Although I'm not that much into Science Fiction, especially Space Science Fiction I watched a few episodes. And what should I say, I'm overwhelmed. Very promissing plot, interesting characters and a high qualtity production.
I can only recommend you watch that show if your are into ScFi and even if you're not it's worth a look.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although I'm not that much into Science Fiction, especially Space Science Fiction I watched a few episodes. And what should I say, I'm overwhelmed. Very promissing plot, interesting characters and a high qualtity production.
I can only recommend you watch that show if you are into ScFi and even if you're not it's worth a look.
I don't watch a lot of TV, but I am tempted by this (they are some of the best SF books I've read!). I'll probably wait until the whole first series is released and then binge watch ...

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Visually stunning pilot, but I have major issues with the actors that played Jim Holden (Ice miner XO) and Detective Miller (Ceres station).

ReguIa

@Griffin Have you watched the rest? I've seen 4 episodes and like it alot, but at the same time I dislike it just as much. I really don't like that they added the Earth POV of things in this first season (Avasarala). So what I've heard is that season 1 ends somewhere around the 80% mark in the book. Had they stuck to the book and held of with the Earth stuff they could have done all of Leviathan Wakes in one season.

I also find it very confusing. I know a lot of people that only watch the show had trouble understanding what was going on. But I know the story, and it's still all over the place. I think I'm just finding it confusing because I'm trying to fit together everything in the show with the book, and while the major things are the same the details are not. Like reading subtitles that is wrongly translated and out of sync:D

And the crew are ready to kill each other in the show. Where's the loyalty and friendship that was in the book ... Guess the show's way adds more tension I suppose..

Griffin

I watched all of them. Some of the critique is correct. Story isn't that well established, but it gets better. Agree with the Earth POV. It doesn't at all that much, but it might be smart to have Avasarala established in preparation for the the next season(s). The last several episodes I liked a lot, but it's still a farcry from Battlestar Galactica. The crew is just being molded together I'm presuming. I don't think this is a bad choice. They don't really know eachother all that well and are put in a very stressful situation. Characterwise it's a logical evolution.

Ultimately, it's a better show than I expected from Syfy and I'll continue to watch it.

btkong

Staff member
One of the best shows for me this year on TV so far -- I'm definitely hooked, 10 episodes in. I'd actually say it's one of the best science fiction shows ever produced so far -- better than BSG, which was my former pick for a strong, plot driven show. I guess it helps having the strongly plotted book series to follow.

The only issue is the first few episodes are confusing -- trying to piece everything together, all the locations, all the players, all the narrative threads, is challenging for the viewer. But things start to click by episode 4. By episode 10, well, you are good and well hooked.

ReguIa

Guess I should continue then. It's just I already know the story, so I'm not too eager to see it. I'd rather read Abaddon's Gate to see what happens next.

I'd also like to give Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel a try, as well as The Magicians. Or perhaps read the books first.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm a bit late on the band-wagon, but I just started watching this show and I love it! Anyone else in the meantime started/finished this?

And how about the books? I haven't actually read them. Can anyone tell me a bit more about them? I believe @Sparrow read this series. Do I remember that correctly Sparrow? How did you find the book series?

ReguIa

I've only seen 5 episodes of the show but I've read the first 3 books in the series. Really liked books 1 and 2, book 3 didn't really grab me in the same way and that's why I haven't started the fourth yet. There are a few things in the show that annoyed me, things they changed. But that was just minor details. Over all they're following the material Game of Thrones style. Great series!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's the best sf series I've read by a long shot. Full of action, an element of horror in the early books, and absolutely fantastic characters. Book 4 was completely pointless in the context of the series (albeit a fun read nonetheless), but number 5 was the best since the 1st, and I'm eagerly awaiting book 6! :)

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Haven't read any of the books, I am ashamed to admit, but I have seen the first season and can add my voice to the chorus, some of the absolutely best sci-fi on TV right now. Every episode was pure delight to watch, and very unusually, I found myself intrigued by every plot thread going on.

Jakyro

I'm considering this series but I'm not sure if I should read the books first. Seeing the comments I'm pretty sure it will be good enough for me to like it, but my experience With GoT learned me that I'll probably enjoy the books less after watching the series first (saw s01 before reading the books of ASOIAF and it spoiled my reading of the first book a bit).

Anyone with the same issues ? Any opinions?

ReguIa

I say read the books, it's what I did. The series is a good adaptation but there are things missing. Also worth thinking about is there are 3 more books to come out, first of which in just 2 months or something.

Start with the TV show and you'll probably get through the first 3 seasons, then cave and read the books that might be finished by that time because waiting for the show will take years. So better start with the books from the get go :)

It's my 3rd favorite ongoing series too, after Stormlight and Dresden. Interesting characters, each book with it's own story + a series long arc.

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I read the books awhile ago but lost interest after the 4th book. The characters got stretched in ways that didn't appeal. I tried the series when it first came on Syfy. There is so much to look at and absorb in the first episode that, with commercials intruding, I was lost. I'm going to give it another try on Netflix.