The Fifth Season by N.K Jemisin

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
I personally happen to like most of N.K Jemisin's books since they are curveballs in this somewhat predictable fantasy world.

This one is no exception. Strong female protagonists, a magic system based on manipulation of plate tectonics and geothermal energy and a post apocalyptic world which is continually subject to extinction-level disasters makes for an interesting read. The lore is also quite well done, and manages to not be too far-fetched.

The characters are quite unique and there are some gay and trans characters as well, but it is very subtly put across unlike RKM where it's practically shoved in your face.

On the cons side, I found this novel to be a little too heavy with the f-words and it's somehow jars the narrative.
Also this book is not a bundle of laughs. It's a post-apocalyptic tale in a post-apocalyptic world and is quite grim.

On the whole, a more or less excellent effort, with plenty left open for future books( I think it will be a series )

8/10

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Well, this book is a lot better than expected. There's a lot of mystery and intrigue in this world Jemisin created. It has splendid characterisation (the author's strongsuit), but unlike Dreamblood the setting is more original and even an inventive take on the magic.

The world is afflicted by world destroying "Seasons" of severe earthquakes, magma eruptions, sun-blotted months/years and overall destruction. The nuclei of humanity try to stand firm. Though many are forfeit, in recent times the mainland is more or less able to survive. There are remnants of the "deadcivs" - those who didn't survive the brazenly and obliterating Seasons - and appears to be linked with the roggas (less than human magic-afflicted persons). Throw in the stone-eaters we barely get any read on and readers are left wondering.

The three POVs are cleverly structured and intertwined in a surprising, yet good way. The characters have depth not many authors achieve. I did not care for the two lovemaking scenes though and in the latter part of the book the focus shouldn't have been so on the relations between Syenite, Alabaster and Innon.

I rate this book 8/10.