The first book you read, or other significant hallmarks that may show your age.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Do you remember the first chapter book you read cover to cover?

What about the first movie you saw in theatres (you may have to be told this) or if not that than the first movie you remember watching in theatres.

go ahead and fill in more questions of this sort of nostalgic nature or reminisce if you want.

Bierschneeman

the first chapter book I read cover to cover, was Young Indiana Jones and the Tomb of Terror. My dad got it for me for a long car ride, that I spent in the middle truck seat sharing with the stick shift. from there I read all the Young Indiana Jones I could find, the Indian in the Cupboard series, the Wind under the Door, and goosebumps (I got to old for the later fairly quick)

my first theatre movie was Land before time. but the first one I remember is either ferngully or Batman.

Boreas

Staff member
There are 3 possibilities for books: "Around the World in 80 Days" or "The Secret Garden" or "The Blue Fairy Book". I read them all around the same time, when I was 8, I think. I also read the Narnia books around that time, but I think it was after the above three books.

My first theater movie that I can recall is also the first Batman.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The first theater movie I remember was Return of the Jedi, which may or may not have been the first theater movie I actually saw.

First chapter book? I don't know. I read a lot of Nancy Drew books when I was 5 or 6. I suppose those count.

Boreas

Staff member
When I was 5 or 6, I was reading tons of Richie Rich and Casper, the Friendly Ghost, and Hot Stuff, the Little Devil, comics. Used to absolutely love them.

Aikura

Became a Faceless Man
First chapter book was The Iron Man by Ted Hughes - I was eight, and really proud.

Like @Bierschneeman , the first movie I saw at the theatre was The Land Before Time but I was very young and don't really remember it. :D

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have trouble remembering last Tuesday, let alone the mid 1980s. Was probably a Roald Dahl book though, possibly The Twits.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
ooh Chapter books. I think is was Tashi, but they have fake out chapters, so i don't count it. First actual chapter books would have the be Enid Blyton books I think.

Bierschneeman

I noticed theres a lot of us who got started on young adult mystery serials, or I guess young detective books at somewhere between 5-7
lets see we have Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Young Indiana Jones, My wife says she was reading the Famous Five (its a british series from the sixties I think) and when I ran out of books in my second year of reading my mom handed me all her old Alfred Hitchcock and the three Investigators books.

OHH any we are missing? anyone read young shelock holmes as a kid?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I was born in now no longer existing Yugoslavia in early 80s, so my experience will be totally different to yours. When I was a kid my dad took me to kid's theater shows and puppet shows more than cinema. But the first movie I remember was domestic one, starring then the biggest pop/folk music star Lepa Brena.
The movie was called "Hajde da se volimo" (Let's love each other) in 1987. It was basically a story about her.

As for the books, I really don't remember. I didn't like reading when I was 6-7, starting primary school. But when I was 9, I started really reading a lot, like everyday, because the war outside was raging on. I am from Bosnia so age 9-12 was basically spent inside, leaving only if it was safe enough to go out and get a book. That is, if they took a 5 min break from bombarding Sarajevo.
Anyway, I remember my first books were fairy tails. There were these collected volumes of fairy tails including: Russian fairy tails, North-America Indians fairy tails, Grimm fairy tails, Hans Christian Andersen fairy tails, you get the picture. :) I remember reading almost everything from the kids section and worrying what will I read next ^^

As for the books you may recognize I remember reading Jules Verne around 10-12 and I was hooked. My first book by him was 20.000 leagues under the sea. From there on read everything from him that was available in my little library.

It's funny to think that now I like reading fantasy the best, and even my beginnings in reading were fantasy books :) Guess things don't change much.

Khartun

Can't remember exactly. Would have probably been something like "Where the Red Fern Grows" or "Old Yeller." I remember reading a lot of Hardy Boys when I was younger also.

Don't remember the first movie I watched but I do remember going and seeing Jaws when I was pretty young. I still won't get in an ocean. Ha!

fbones24

Not sure if it was the first, but the first book I remember reading and leaving a lasting impression on me was White Fang by Jack London.

First movie I saw in the theater was Empire Strikes Back.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Boreas

Staff member
Other age showing hallmarks:

I got my Walkman when I was 9 and listened to my first tapes: Michael Jackson, Billy Joel (ugh), Dire Straits and even New Kids on the Block (shudder) & Phil Collins (puke). I used to make tons of mixtapes with my boombox (both from tape to tape and CD to tape).

My first CD buys were Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction" (I had started my thrash metal phase about a year before and had some Metallica and Testament and Megadeth tapes) and then Alice in Chain's "Dirt" (which opened up grunge music and that became the definitive music of my early teens) and Stone Temple Pilot's "Core", all in the same year. I remember waiting for the release of Soundgarden's "Superunknown" and buying it when it was out.

Got my first Discman in '93 (that was, without a doubt, the coolest and most precious thing I had ever bought up till that point. I had to save a lot of pocket money for the purchase. I remember all the deliberation between shock absorbing capabilities of different models and whether they had the programme function or not!).

I remember a friend of mine getting me into Offspring's "Ignition" album and then both of us waiting for Offspring's "Smash" to be released. Also remember the excitement at Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" release, buying the CD and listening to it for the first time with a friend.

I started watching WWF when Monday Night Raw started with the likes of Bret Hart and Razor Ramon and the Undertaker and when Yokozuna was champion. It was a phase that lasted about 2 years.

Used to love MTV's Liquid Television when it was on.

Cartoons can also be a good measure of age, right? I think I watched many of these when they aired (though I suppose some of them had to be reruns):

Danger Mouse
Count Duckula
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Defenders of the Earth
Dino Riders
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
Pole Position
Transformers
GoBots
Inspector Gadget
The Tick
Mysterious Cities of Gold