The first book you read, or other significant hallmarks that may show your age.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
You remember a hell of a lot more than I do, does anyone else remember the Gummy Bears or Teddy Ruxpin ?
My younger brother had a Teddy Ruxpin (if that's the one that "talked" via audio cassettes you inserted into its back). We always enjoyed that one more when the batteries were running out and the speech slowed down and had a much deeper tone to it. Or, I could be thinking about something else. It's been a loooooong time.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
You remember a hell of a lot more than I do, does anyone else remember the Gummy Bears or Teddy Ruxpin ?
the candy?? yes. though the german company Haribo has replaced them. if there was a cartoon I didn't see it, though I did see the awful California Raisins tv show.
ohh teddy ruxpin. yeah I still remember the garage sale we sold him on.

Bierschneeman

Other age showing hallmarks:

I got my Walkman when I was 9 and listened to my first tapes: Michael Jackson, Billy Joel (ugh), Dire Straits and even New Kids on the Block (shudder) & Phil Collins (puke). I used to make tons of mixtapes with my boombox (both from tape to tape and CD to tape).

My first CD buys were Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction" (I had started my thrash metal phase about a year before and had some Metallica and Testament and Megadeth tapes) and then Alice in Chain's "Dirt" (which opened up grunge music and that became the definitive music of my early teens) and Stone Temple Pilot's "Core", all in the same year. I remember waiting for the release of Soundgarden's "Superunknown" and buying it when it was out.

Got my first Discman in '93 (that was, without a doubt, the coolest and most precious thing I had ever bought up till that point. I had to save a lot of pocket money for the purchase. I remember all the deliberation between shock absorbing capabilities of different models and whether they had the programme function or not!).

I remember a friend of mine getting me into Offspring's "Ignition" album and then both of us waiting for Offspring's "Smash" to be released. Also remember the excitement at Pantera's "Far Beyond Driven" release, buying the CD and listening to it for the first time with a friend.
my first tapes Beatles (it was a single with Baby's in Black on it, I remember this because the ultimate EVERY beatles song collection DOES NOT have Baby's in Black) King Crimson's Court of the Crimson King as well as poiseiden, Blue Oyster Cult (their first 5) the three most popular Pink Floyd albums a bunch of led zeppelin and two Black Sabbath Albums (all copies, no purchased tapes)

my first cd "I" purchased was the first three Metallica Albums, from there I got into Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails

Bierschneeman

Wait, you didn't watch TMNT? O_O
OHHH, I thought you meant, Missed, not Missed.....
yeah I was obsessed with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
But I thought Transformers was kind of Lame, and I got over He Man before I turned 6
it was around 89 or 90 I got into X-men on Sat. mornings

Derk of Derkholm

Haha, my first movie was "Mary Poppins"(filmed 1964), followed by "Herbie the Love Bug"(1968) and "Aristocats" (1970).
I clearly remember that as we did not have a cinema in the rural place where I spent my childhood, and we had to go to the big city (Vienna) to visit the movies.
But I must add, that I grew up in Austria, a small country that is more or less notorious for that it takes some years until major films make it to the local government-owned TV stations, and movies are also released later. So all those 3 must have been around 1975.

First book that I fondly remember was Richard Scarrys "Great Big Air Book".

Best regards,
Andy

Boreas

Staff member
But I thought Transformers was kind of Lame, and I got over He Man before I turned 6
it was around 89 or 90 I got into X-men on Sat. mornings
Me too, got over He Man really, really quickly. And anyway, I preferred Thundercats (which I also outgrew quickly, though it had one of the most badass villains in the character Mum-ra, the Ever Living) to He Man. After all these years, the cartoons that really stick out for me are Mysterious Cities of Gold, Prince Valiant and Spartakus and the Sun beneath the Sea (definitely a weird one). They also had great theme songs. And I loved the dry humour of Count Duckula, the vegetarian vampire who preferred ketchup over blood.

I got into Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails
I got into Nine Inch Nails in the mid-90's because the character of Lusipher from the comic "Poison Elves" (previously "I, Lusipher") by Drew Hayes was supposedly based on Trent Reznor (not looks, more the destructive attitude), which made me want to listen to NIN.

I also bought an autographed VHS copy of "The Crow" in '95. I was so happy with it, since I was a fan of the comics. Still got it somewhere.

Last edited:

ofer

I'm pretty sure my parents took me to the movies to see disney films (fantasia?) but the first "grown-up" movie I saw was Tron. I remember reading an article about it in the paper and the idea of someone's getting inside a computer game sounded so cool I just had to see it.

First book? probably one of Enid Blayton's.

I also remember being hooked to a British spy tv show called The Sandbaggers

João Ribeiro

Great list @Boreas
Comments inline

Danger Mouse
Count Duckula (check and it was cool)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (The original show was awesome)
Defenders of the Earth(I still watch the intro in youtube now and then)
Dino Riders(Didn't catch this one)
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors(Cheesy but made me learn English)
Pole Position (Didn't catch this one)
Transformers(First gen was the best)
GoBots (Didn't catch this one)
Inspector Gadget (timeless)
The Tick (Didn't catch this one)
Mysterious Cities of Gold (So so good, I have it for my kid to watch some day)
Spartakus and the Sun beneath the Sea (Didn't catch this one)
He Man (Again cheesy but great)
Thundercats(Originals all the way)
Rugrats (was a bit past my time)
Duck Tales(The laughs, oh the laugs)
Chip and Dale, Rescue Rangers (see previous)
Batman (Didn't catch this one)
Prince Valiant (Didn't catch this one)
X-Men (So badass)
Dogtanian(Another one stored for my kid to watch)
Dungeons and Dragons (Didn't catch this one)
Bravestarr (Didn't catch this one)
Fraggle Rock(I preferred the Muppets)
The Real Ghostbusters(So much fun)
Bananaman(The good ol' days
Thomas the Tank (Didn't catch this one)
Care Bears(A bit girly :D)
Smurfs (I remember these but not by much)
Ren and Stimpy (Not for kids :D )
Johnny Bravo (Not my cup of tea)
Powerpuff Girls (See previous)
The list could go on a bit further.

And now replying to the thread. I don't remember my first book. I know it was with my nanny's husband who reads a lot and he got me into reading.

I do remember going by a bookstore and asking my older sister for a book. It was Pinnochio and she told me (literally) it had to many letters for me and I should pick something with images... thanks sis, oh and by the way I'm going through tens of thousands of Malazan pages this year so... I finally defeated your argument.

Derk of Derkholm

OK ... additional list item:

What was the first fantasy book that you read?

For me, it was "The Hobbit", because I was playing the adventure game on my Commodore 64 and could not get past the trolls (very early in the game), so I got the book from the library for tips. Next was "The Lord of the Rings", and then "The Silmarillion", as JRR Tolkien was more or less what was commercially available in the fantasy area at that point in time (circa 1983).

Best regards,
Andy

João Ribeiro

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Gordon Shumway

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

For me, it was "The Hobbit", because I was playing the adventure game on my Commodore 64 and could not get past the trolls (very early in the game), so I got the book from the library for tips. Next was "The Lord of the Rings", and then "The Silmarillion", as JRR Tolkien was more or less what was commercially available in the fantasy area at that point in time (circa 1983).

Best regards,
Andy
That's harder for me. I think we read the first Narnia book in elementary school. Back before I understood all the religious symbolism. (I have never been to church, so I was a bit slow to understand these things during childhood. There's probably still a lot I don't catch.)

Antoxx

Best regards,
Andy
I think mine was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. After that probably the Belgariad. My memory is a bit pants.

Boreas

Staff member
I think my first ever fantasy book might have been "The BFG" by Roald Dahl (I just can't seem to remember exactly when I read it, but it must have been very early on). Then came Lewis' Narnia books. I LOVED my Commodore 64! The other console I absolutely loved was my Sega Genesis. Sooo much better than Nintendo.

Great list @Boreas
Comments inline
There's no "past [your] time" when it comes to cartoons. I still like to watch cartoons and watched them regularly when I was a kid and when I was in my mid/late teens and twenties (less regularly, to be sure).

The two 'girly' cartoons that I sometimes watched were Care Bears and even My Little Pony because my sister was obsessed with them when she was 2 or 3 or 4 years old and my younger brother and I would also watch them with her (looking back, there were a couple of seriously freaky Care Bear episodes - as much as I can recall, and I recall only the feeling, not the stories or visuals - though, my first true hallucinogenic experience was when 'Dumbo' (poor Jumbo Jr.) and the mouse got drunk off a barrel of ale...now that was some freaky shit for a 3 or 4 year old to watch). Dumbo is still one of my favourite Disney movies, along with Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood.

So glad you loved The Mysterious Cities of Gold! Though most of the American and British cartoons were undoubtedly great, none came close to the epic story making that the French & Japanese accomplished with Cities of Gold! It's a shame that they never finished it with 39 episodes, but now some French production company (maybe the same that did the original, I don't really know) has picked up the cartoon and is continuing the story from the very moment where they left off with modern animation.

Spartakus and the Sun beneath the Sea was another great French/Japanese series. This was a weird one, part science fiction, part fantasy. Had a fantastic theme song, though.

I also really recommend The Legend of Prince Valiant for your kids. Two seasons with a total of 65 episodes. Mostly in single story format with over arching story lines (more often, stories revolving around a central, grand theme) that slowly develop in the beginning and really start to come to fruition, especially, in the episodes of season 2. The 3 main characters (Valiant and his two friends) are voiced by Americans, but the pretty much all-British supporting cast (Merlin, Arthur, Morgana, etc) are fantastic. Great stories about the ideals of Camelot with all the opposition this ideal faces as Arthur tries to spread this message and Camelot's example throughout the 'British' countryside - the cartoon highlights the merits of diplomacy and cooperation against armed conflict (many times spearheaded by ignorance), though there are often scenes where violent conflict is depicted. Many good lessons for kids.

For example, I recall one episode where Valiant scoffs at some beggar during a visit to some area or the other (he IS a bit of a twat on numerous occasions), loses all his things, is stuck where he is where no one recognises him for a noble-born and is forced to learn the beggar's trade to survive, whereby changing his opinion of the unfortunate lot he previously disdained. There are many great episodes and story lines dealing with the Scots, the Welsh, remaining Roman frontiers and the general chaos/violence in rural 'Britain' against the spreading light of Camelot. And Prince Valiant also had one of the best theme songs.

And Dungeons and Dragons! Awesome fantasy show based on the role-playing game.

Powerpuff Girls are awesome! I don't understand how you didn't like them. What about Dexter's Laboratory or Pinky and the Brain (from Animaniacs)?

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

Best regards,
Andy
ohh FANTASY, im assuming you mean that young Indiana jones are fiction but not fantasy as we see it here on BFB, if im wrong, then my apologies and those still remain my answers

but the first big fantasy was The Hobbit as well I was 7 or 8, I still remember getting teased for reading it on the bus, and the bully who snatched it from me... I missed my stop once because of that book. I think the next book I read was "A Wrinkle in Time"

João Ribeiro

There's no "past [your] time" when it comes to cartoons. I still like to watch cartoons and watched them regularly when I was a kid and when I was in my mid/late teens and twenties (less regularly, to be sure).
I explained myself poorly. I meant it was in that period of time when I stopped watching cartoons and before I came back to it (with anime).

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
lol, yeah...
I don't think I ever got over that, there was just new material to watch and I moved on. But He-Man. TMNT and Transfomers are still very dear to me.

Anybody remember this:

Ewoks :D

I read Prince Valiant comics when I was 10-12 years old. LOVED THEM. :joyful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Valiant