The first book you read, or other significant hallmarks that may show your age.

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
I read Prince Valiant comics when I was 10-12 years old. LOVED THEM.
Me too. I used to read the comics section of the newspaper my father used to buy which had Prince Valiant running for a long time (but only weekly and in full colour). In my twenties, I tried to hunt down most of the large format paperbacks that Fantagraphics put out collecting Hal Foster's entire run. It's an epic series.

Bierschneeman

NOOOOOOO!!! N O NO NO NO!!!... THEY"RE CMING FOR Me,

make it stop make it stop
the music begins "We are the E E E E E.........."

AHHHHHHH!!!!

you are evil, the worse thing to happen to Star Wars before The Phantom Menace

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Me too. I used to read the comics section of the newspaper my father used to buy which had Prince Valiant running for a long time (but only weekly and in full colour). In my twenties, I tried to hunt down most of the large format paperbacks that Fantagraphics put out collecting Hal Foster's entire run. It's an epic series.
For me, then, there were these translated paperbacks I was reading. I didn't even know it was a newspaper comic until yesterday and checking out wikipedia. But those Fantagraphics sure look awesome, would love to have them :D

you are evil, the worse thing to happen to Star Wars before The Phantom Menace
Maybe from this perspective, but I loved that cartoon. Plus, I didn't see it in English, (they were synchronized) so no awful music :p. I was scared of these guys though

You can't blame me, I was around 6-7 then I think :p

João Ribeiro

So glad you loved The Mysterious Cities of Gold! Though most of the American and British cartoons were undoubtedly great, none came close to the epic story making that the French & Japanese accomplished with Cities of Gold! It's a shame that they never finished it with 39 episodes, but now some French production company (maybe the same that did the original, I don't really know) has picked up the cartoon and is continuing the story from the very moment where they left off with modern animation.
This is great news indeed. Time to grab insert the medallions in the flying condor once again!

Also here is one of my favorites at the time:

I

Ian Blackport

The first book I ever read on my own was a Goosebumps novel by RL Stine. Even only a few short years (and 30 some odd Goosebumps books) later I realized that series was pretty weak. But it got me into reading and that passion hasn't lapsed in the two decades since. I have fond memories of it for that reason alone.

Also, I was obsessed with COPS as a child. I still sometimes hum the theme song.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Also, I was obsessed with COPS as a child. I still sometimes hum the theme song.
Thanks a lot. Guess what's now running through my head?

(All kidding aside, welcome to the boards. Stick around and chat with everyone.)

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I'm surprised with some of the earlier posts about books that there weren't any Encyclopedia Brown. I read those as a youngster. I don't know the first book I ever read, but Where the Wild Things are might be the very first fantasy type book I ever read as a little guy. I read the Hobbit when I was 11 or so, but played video games for most of my childhood. I got an original NES with Super Mario Brothers and Double Dragon for Christmas when I was 5 or 6. I got back into fantasy in high school with David Eddings (Belgariad/Mallorean), Piers Anthony (Xanth mostly, but some other series) and Dragonlance Chronicles.

Darth Tater

You remember a hell of a lot more than I do, does anyone else remember the Gummy Bears or Teddy Ruxpin ?

Of course. Except I think I was around 16 when Gummi beats came out and around 30 with Teddy, IIRC. I remember a helluva lot more before that young whipper snapper!! :oldman:

I believe my first movie was Mary Poppins ( I still love it) when it first came out no less. Or perhaps Sound of Music if that came first.

First book would be Black Beauty a classic by Anna Sewell. I was like in the 2nd grade or so. Next was Tom Sawyer. I didn't read White Fang but I did read Jack London's Call of the Wild not long after that.

I used to read Archie comics at first but then moved on to Superman and a bunch of others.

Antoxx

Of course. Except I think I was around 16 when Gummi beats came out and around 30 with Teddy, IIRC. I remember a helluva lot more before that young whipper snapper!! :oldman:

I believe my first movie was Mary Poppins ( I still love it) when it first came out no less. Or perhaps Sound of Music if that came first.

First book would be Black Beauty a classic by Anna Sewell. I was like in the 2nd grade or so. Next was Tom Sawyer. I didn't read White Fang but I did read Jack London's Call of the Wild not long after that.

I used to read Archie comics at first but then moved on to Superman and a bunch of others.
Weren't you reading Shakespeare when he was still writing? ;)

The first books I remember reading were Ulysses and Jim Thorpe All American and the first movie I remember seeing was Sleeping Beauty when it came out in 1959. I was 6 at the time.

BobDaNob

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
I remember my first book quite well. Danny and the Dinosaur - a classic tale of cross-species love, the perils of exotic pets and one boy's tenuous grasp on post-WWII reality in the 50's.

I was but a 1st grade lad of maybe 6, possibly 7. It was the first book I'd ever read all by myself and boy was I proud. It sated the passions I had for both dinosaurs and ridiculous things. I wish I still had it, but after almost thirty years whatcha gonna do, eh?

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Somehow I have totally forgotten. I want to go back and look at my old bookshelf from home, but I know it's not there (also, it's a few hundred miles away).

I certainly remember Where the Wild Things Are but my father read me that one, I didn't read it for myself. For myself, probably Garfield. Lots of Garfield. Calvin and Hobbes came later.

I remember that there were Hardy Boys books available, but I don't think I read them. I vaguely recall some choose-your-own-adventure book, involving turning into different people/things. Some of the choices lead to your getting killed. I recall some children's mystery book with some dorky child detective. Nothing ever as dramatic as murder. Don't recall the name (I'm bad with names).

I'm looking now at Choose Your Own Adventure now on Wikipedia, and I see there were a lot of them spanning many years. I couldn't possibly pick out the one I read. Oh well.

Jack London, The Call of the Wild and White Fang. In there somewhere, early on. Perhaps in that order, but I wouldn't swear on it. Another book by this guy, about this kid, who shoots a deer (or doesn't shoot a deer?). Not much to go on there, I know. A kid, a deer, the woods (sounds like there should be a druid in there somewhere, but there wasn't). Minnesota author I wanna say. I can picture the cover, had a deer on it. I kept wanting to say Paulson or Paulsen, but I don't think that's it. Did I mention that I'm pretty bad with names?

That's all that's rattling around this rusty ol' memory of mine. Nothing more concrete than that.

(some of the mood icons are really dirty...)

sopranosfan

I don't remember a lot about my childhood. I remember reading a lot of Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Little House on the Prairie books though. Do Berenstein Bears books count? I remember a lot of those too.

guilty_as_charged

A farm boy with a sword
I'm pretty sure the first actual book I read, other than little kid books and such, was a book entitled Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I was wandering about a Barnes and Noble bookstore and had somehow gotten away from my mum. I found myself in the "big kid's section" and saw a stack of Harry Potter books in a display case. I picked it up eagerly, as it the brightly coloured cover seemed promising. I devoured the whole thing in just a few hours, (after begging to stay and finish, my mum wasn't a fan of the series, so she refused to buy the book, however she did let me stay and finish.) I was about five or six at the time. Since then I've read the entire series seven times over l. (I'm a big believer in re-reading things;) )

guilty_as_charged

Last edited:

wakarimasen

I've no idea what was my first book, but I remember my first sci-fi discovery. My 7 year old self was continually poking about in the half dozen book stacks off one corridor that made up my primary school's library and I found, in a section for the older kids, one of Brian Earnshaw's Dragonfall5 books.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfall_5
Basically these were the famous five in space and after solving a few sci-fi-crimes that was me hooked on the genre for life. I wish there were more, I wanted there to be a long running story arc about where their parents were and them finding them.

I believe my first movie was Mary Poppins ( I still love it)
Do you still love it after watching this though?