The first book you read, or other significant hallmarks that may show your age.

Goldensun

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
I wish I could remember, but the first series I ever completed was the tripod series. I read all four in the fifth grade... I certainly read more books before then but that was the first science fiction series I completed.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Winnie the Pooh for me. My girls have this book as well. First movie was Herbie goes Bananas.
Antoxx, awesome - seems our parents did have a similar taste (although possibly at different times). My SECOND ever movie (first was "Mary Poppins") was "The Love Bug", the first movie in the series. My father was an avid Volkswagen beetle owner, driver, and mechanic, so this was what he deemed important for my future education.

I have to add that I was born and spent my childhood in Austria, where the German translations of US movies typically took a long time to make it to the market. So I maybe saw that movie around 1974 (it was made in 1969).

First book I read from cover to cover (about a hundred times) was Richard Scarry's "Great Big Air book" ... http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-Great-Big-Book/dp/039482167X

Still have that one, and my kids loved it as well.

Best regards,
Andy

Antoxx

Antoxx, awesome - seems our parents did have a similar taste (although possibly at different times). My SECOND ever movie (first was "Mary Poppins") was "The Love Bug", the first movie in the series. My father was an avid Volkswagen beetle owner, driver, and mechanic, so this was what he deemed important for my future education.

I have to add that I was born and spent my childhood in Austria, where the German translations of US movies typically took a long time to make it to the market. So I maybe saw that movie around 1974 (it was made in 1969).

First book I read from cover to cover (about a hundred times) was Richard Scarry's "Great Big Air book" ... http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Scarrys-Great-Big-Book/dp/039482167X

Still have that one, and my kids loved it as well.

Best regards,
Andy
Well cool- I didn't think anybody would know Herbie. I also remember Richard Scarry too. Ahhh, the memories!

Derk of Derkholm

Off-topic: I must add when I mention that my father was an avid beetle owner and mechanic, I am talking 20+ vehicles of that particular model in various stages of repair or scavenging for parts in our garden, at any given time during my childhood :)
So I saw all the Herbie movies (I even saw the new one made in this millennium :) )
Best regards,
Andy

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
My first book was the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I got sick in 3rd grade and it was given to me to keep me quiet. Boy did it ever. I think the book is in a box somewhere in the basement.

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
This is kind of sad, I have no idea what the first chapter book I read was. I started reading at a very early age because my parents had a subscription to that Dr. Seuss book club thing. I was reading chapter books by the time I was in kindergarten. Of course, they were super kiddy books and not very memorable. I believe the first one I actually remember would be The Secret Garden followed by The Diary Of Anne Frank when I was about 7.

The first movie I saw in theaters was The Lion King.

And one more fun one: I remember the very first episode of Spongebob airing when I was in elementary school and being REALLY excited for it.

Boreas

Staff member
I thought of another age marker: when I was 13 years old, I had to learn how to use DOS at school.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I thought of another age marker: when I was 13 years old, I had to learn how to use DOS at school.
Haha me too! Except I was 14, and it was 1st year of high school. ( I started school one year earlier then normal)
I enjoyed it tremendously too.

I think my first book was "Inkheart" when I was 13. And yes I started very late with reading^^ And the first movie I wachted was "The Iron Giant" if I'm not completely wrong. At the end I cried like a little baby but I have to say back then I was 5 years old. So nearly a baby.

Did I hear Herbie? I loved the movies! Has someone seen the latest movie: "Herbie: Folly Loaded"? I know I've watched all except that one, so should I watch it or better stay away from the remake?

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Haha me too! Except I was 14, and it was 1st year of high school. ( I started school one year earlier then normal)
I enjoyed it tremendously too.
Same for me, but I was a dork so I already knew everything they tried to teach. I even knew how to change my prompt to something other than C:\> so I had it as something inappropriate most of the time. I had to get really fast at typing prompt $p$g enter cls enter to get my "Fuck poop>" prompts off the screen when the teacher walked by though.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
We lived in a school district that was all Apple. By the time I started high school (fall 1992), we had early Macs. I have still never used DOS more than 1 or 2 commands during grad school when trying to get scientific equipment talking to the computer meant to control it. Unix and Linux and Windows, yes, but not DOS.

Derk of Derkholm

Ms-Dos on a 6-Mhz IBM PC XT with monochrome monitor ... Those were the days!

Best regards,
Andy

wakarimasen

It was all about Basic on the Commodore Vic 20 for me. Though I used Dos a lot once I got to a-levels (16/17). Seem to remember an Atomic Banana game where you tried to toss bananas between two gorillas and destroy buildings, you set angle and power and it tracked out each shot.

Boreas

Staff member
We lived in a school district that was all Apple. By the time I started high school (fall 1992), we had early Macs. I have still never used DOS more than 1 or 2 commands during grad school when trying to get scientific equipment talking to the computer meant to control it. Unix and Linux and Windows, yes, but not DOS.
My parents got a Macintosh in 1991 (or maybe early 1992?) and I loved it for two main reasons, those being Where in the World Are You, Carmen Sandiego? and SimEarth. I played them to death, especially SimEarth - it was the game that introduced me to words like Eukaryotes/Prokaryotes, biome, extinction event, Gaia and even the Monolith! way before I ever saw 2001 (I was playing this when I was 11). I don't think I ever remember using the Mac for much of anything else. I must have, but I can't remember. I remember enjoying learning to use DOS when I was in 9th grade (also started in 1992).
Commodore 64 for me. Played a lot of Donkey Kong and Wonder Boy.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did anyone have an Acorn Electron? That was my first computer, before Santa bought me a BBC in about 1990 with about a gazillion floppy (proper floppy) discs.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Where in the World Are You, Carmen Sandiego?
Had this on Apple IIc -- it was pretty primitive. But I will forever remember the capital of Mali because of that game. We also had an Oregon Trail game on Apple IIc (but not, apparently, the version with the line "you have died of dysentery"). Although I can imagine that might not have been too popular/relevant/whatever outside the US. With the Macs in school, we used to carry around floppy disks holding shareware games (naturally, no one paid the fees) and played them when we were supposed to be doing work in class.

Boreas

Staff member
But I will forever remember the capital of Mali because of that game.
For me it was discovering the city-state of San Marino within Italy. And I was off by a year, my parents got the Macintosh sometime in 1990 (maybe towards the end). Loved both the games, but I think SimEarth taught me more.

Derk of Derkholm

With the Macs in school, we used to carry around floppy disks holding shareware games (naturally, no one paid the fees) and played them when we were supposed to be doing work in class.
If I remember correctly, the concept of "shareware" was how we explained to our parents the regular software swapping sessions. I am, however, not entirely sure whether software companies would have agreed with the concept how we applied it then (or at least, to which software titles we applied it).

Who else remembers TurboTape on the Commodore 64 with the venerable 1530 "Datasette" :)