The Guns of Empire by Django wexler

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Another great entry to one of the better military fantasy series in the genre right now.

This one returns more to the roots of the series, bringing all characters back into the field for a military campaign. The novel mostly takes place on a military march as two armies collide.

The book wraps up a lot of the ongoing plot threads established over the last 2 books and moves the plot into a new direction. A lot of stuff happens.

I do have a few complaints in that some of the characters are a bit one dimensional and, as it turns out, overpowered. Most of the powerful characters also seem to be women, in a sort a gender role reversal. I'm not complaining about this, but I'd like to see a bit more balance (all the best fighters / magic users are always women and the poor men are mostly left behind).

Overall, a good continuation to the series with a lot of plot threads resolved with the characters and story now moving into a completely new direction. It will be interesting to see where things go in the next book.

I rate this one 8/10.

The series so far has been a solid 8/10 for me and I have enjoyed every book (other than Book 2) so far. It's about as good as the last book was, maybe a little bit better. The first book is still my favorite, but so far, the author has done a fantastic job at keeping the series going and moving into new territory each book.

Zyodes

Helped Logen count his fingers
I'm currently near the end of the book and I have to say I love it. Much better than the last one which was, up until the end, pretty much a fantasy version of the French Revolution with obvious stand-ins for Napoleon and Robespierre among others. This one is similar, in that it reflects Napoleons invasion of Russia, but has enough fantasy elements to make it stand out from it's historical counterpart. As a historian I like the historical inspiration but when it copies too much from reality it becomes too predictable. This one only uses history for inspiration rather than a template and as such I really like it. Marcus is finally getting somewhere with his family's mysterious death and the big bad seems to be rearing its head, and cracks seem to be appearing in what were up to now strong bonds.

Overal: 7.5/10

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Another solid entry in an excellent series, I didn’t really liked the first half of the book, but the second part, full of great battles and twists, was really exceptional - 8