The Heart of What was Lost - Tad Williams

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Huh. Must have been a slip of the finger. I'm on a smart phone so if I palm it to put it down who knows what links or buttons I'll accidentally push
That explains the "dumb" I got from you last week...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Ohh God I'm sorry, have I been handing out random gestures?

Have I mentioned I'm smart phone illiterate.
Tell me where I'll replace it
No big deal. I can't find it right now anyway. I figured it was a mistake because it struck me as a strange place for a rating of that sort.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK.. I dumbed you then meant to follow up with a witty comment, but my daughter fell over in the bath and I kinda lost the moment :(

But anyway, back on track, I really want to read this book but I'm definitely going to wait until the price drops. I imagine it will drop quite significantly approaching the time the first book in the new trilogy is released, in a few months time.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Yeah. I remember liking Williams stuff... but think I should reread Memory, Sorrow and Thorn before taking a gander at this (I assume it's linked). That volume of reread is almost a scary as tackling Malazan , which I've just begun.
Still - here's a piece in the mainstream press on Tad...
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...artins-favourite-fantasy-writers-tad-williams
Thanks for the link, waka. It's interesting that Martin was so profoundly affected and inspired by Williams. This alone will make me get back to Shadowmarch.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started this today, after it was reduced to 99p a couple weeks back. Nice to be back in Osten Ard.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great book! Really well written taking in both sides of the battle. I almost felt sympathetic for the Norns. Almost ...

The ending was great, and didn't focus so much on the end of the battle (which was the focus of the book), more so on two of the characters who were involved.

Williams packs a lot into 200 pages, and this has left me really looking forward to the next trilogy set in Osten Ard.

9/10