The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I didn't think it was borderline YA, it's obvious that Staveley didn't intend that. But I do think Staveley is a mediocre writer who has absolutely no depth or complexity to his writing, which is why I compared it to a YA book where you wouldn't expect that.

I will take your word on that, Tom. I don't know that much about that stuff. I just know I love the writing of authors like Neil Gaiman, GGK, and Sean Williams. Whether they share something in common I couldn't say? They just seem deep and flow for me. Peak too. That is not to say I like all of their stuff (did not care much for Gormanghast and thought Otherworld was dumb) and my samples are somewhat limited. But just in my gut they pull me in. I thought Stavely was "OK" . It was more the way the story itself progressed and characters that that irked me.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will take your word on that, Tom. I don't know that much about that stuff. I just know I love the writing of authors like Neil Gaiman, GGK, and Sean Williams. Whether they share something in common I couldn't say? They just seem deep and flow for me. Peak too. That is not to say I like all of their stuff (did not care much for Gormanghast and thought Otherworld was dumb) and my samples are somewhat limited. But just in my gut they pull me in. I thought Stavely was "OK" . It was more the way the story itself progressed and characters that that irked me.
Sorry, I think mediocre was too strong a word to use (by me!). Yeah 'ok' is fitting .. certainly doesn't do much really wrong but is far from doing a lot of things really right! I wouldn't rush out to buy anything else he puts to print.

Red Lion

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
7.5/10 I just did not like how Valyn story ended up but again no fairy tales here and overall it was a good story Il def read more of his works

Zyodes

Helped Logen count his fingers
I made an account for the forums specifically to throw in my two cents about this series. This series in my opinion is the worst fantasy series I have ever finished. Every single character is an idiot. Almost all of the conflict between the three siblings is caused by them simply not talking, this has caused me to scream at them while I was reading. On another note, the endless string of people who are knocked unconcious without suffering anyting but a bump on the head is simply ridiculous. The only characters I could stand were the Redhead (I forgot her name) and the Flea. The rest are constantly at each others throats because the plot says so. I liked the worldbuilding in the series but the author is horrible at writing characters.

Overal: 3/10.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
This series in my opinion is the worst fantasy series I have ever finished.
You know what, I think I agree with you. I can't think of a fantasy series which I've finished that I felt was as poor as this one. I've started plenty of truly awful series (imo), which undoubtedly would've surpassed this one in terms of my dislike for them, but I actually saw this one out. More fool me.

Kalavan

Journeyed there and back again
Added a rating of 6,5 to my thoughts on this book