The Legend of Eli Monpress

SuperJudge

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Can anyone recommend this series? I saw the name is the most badass swordsman thread and never heard of it until tonight. And it just so happens I am looking for a new series to read while I wait for the First Law.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Uhhhh lets see....its quite entertaining tale if you've nothing else to read atm.

The magic is a "bit" different from what ur probably used to, the characters are nicely fleshed out with hidden pasts and all the rest. Storytelling is averagely good, there are a few really good scenes in all the books of the series.

Overall I would say...go read it. Its probably nowhere near the First Law and all but i for one found it thoroughly readable and quite enjoyed it too :D

SuperJudge

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
Amazon got the box set for first law in stock finally so I only have to wait a week or 2 now. :) But Maybe after that I will read this one. It sounds like it could have some humor in it, which would be a nice change from what I have been reading lately. Plus I have always liked mage/thieves or mage/assassins.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read the books in early january and wrote this in one of the posts on the forum. Just dug it out up:

Presently, I'm reading the Eli Monpress series by Rachel Aaron. On book 5 (the last book I think). Read the first 4 in a few days. Way too easy an un-memorable read. The series and story has potential, just not in Rachel Aarons hands. She's not very consistent about how her characters act, and the character which is fleshed out the most is NOT the maincharacter. The maincharacter, Eli Monpress is a boring mix of Tavi of Calderon and Locke Lamora. And he's not even the best character in the book.

The "magic" system is more or less the same as Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series mixed with Pokémon. Wizards "bind" spirits into gems, stones or other artifacts and can't do any magic themselves. They can however order their "spirits" to do magic for them, once they're outside their "pokeball".

It's better than Eragon and the rest of that pile of goo, but not by much. What got me to go for book 1 was the cover. It was pretty cool. Never judge a book by it's covers. But I always want to read those books with cool covers. Now I just want my money back. Any of you aussie-types taking a trip to Europe and my booksale soon? It'll be fairly expensive, as I want monies for more books!
If you havent read all of the top 25 series recommended on the frontpage, the other great recommended books and series, don't go for Eli Monpress. If you have read em, I will still not recommend this series. I'm getting cranky in my old age...

tychobrahe1

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
eli monpress

this is one of the best fantasy books ever written . its funny its end of the world themed it has an incredible thief. a very very good swordsman, an incredible magic system what can i say other than read it.

Personally I had not even heard about Eli before joining this forum couple days before.

However, I've seen many references to the series already here, so I suppose it must be worth checking out!

Or not!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Personally I had not even heard about Eli before joining this forum couple days before.

However, I've seen many references to the series already here, so I suppose it must be worth checking out!

Or not!
I'm pretty sure only two people on these forums have read it!

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Its not THAT bad. Compared to shit reads like Terry Brooks,Paolini(which are,quite honestly THAT bad ) this is practically ASoIaF material.

Granted the plot is kinda 1D and sometimes you feel like braining the characters with a cement block, it's not too bad.

But in the end, choice is yours :p