The Liar's Key - Mark Lawrence

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Like I said in the other thread:

Just like in the previous book there's a lot of traveling, but unlike Prince of Fools other aspects take over halfway through the book. The second part of the book is without a doubt the most fun. Florence is the economic heart of the Broken Empire. There are as many debtors as there are conniving, rich brokers, and probably a lot more. Jalan's stance to all this is simple: he loves betting. That's where the only annoying thing surfaces. He starts making money way too easily. A tad unrealistic given his unsuccesful gambling history.

We start seeing some interesting character confrontations that give a great dynamic to this book. The addition of the Kara & Hennan purvey Jalan with great and subtle character growth in such a way you can really like the guy. He develops a caring persona for the child. Although he starts chasing Kara it doesn't overtake the story all that much. Kara rather manipulates our prince instead of vice versa.

Kara's witchery also gives the story our Lawrence-typical flashbacks. They gave us some much needed new perspectives and portrayed familiar characters in a surprising new and very interesting way. Lawrence prose is superb.

I give this book 8.5.

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
A little slow at times but the 2 main characters are good enough to help carry the weight when those times hit. Definitely got better in the last 3rd of the book and the ending was funny.

Not sure on a score but to this point I think I like his Thorns trilogy better.