The Listverse - Post a link to your list!

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
You can't be objective with something so personal. Every list, every book review is subjective =)
To a certain extent you certainly can be objective. If a book is ranked highly on a greatest list there should hopefully be a number of great things about it other than you just liked it or it was interesting. Obviously what the fantasy community in general says about these books also needs to be taken into account and that is partially objective.

I also had a comment about the forum ranked book lists..... yeah the top ten on that list actually has a lot more in common with the top ten at fantasybookreviews than the top ten here I think or at least it did (the list is constantly changing).

epicfantasyfreak

Yup it's funny because I think that if I read it now for the first time it wouldn't be as dear to me as it is. Since it was one of the first I read it has to be in the top 10... probably forever.

One does not simply take LOTR from the Top 10!
Oddly enough, one did, or would if I were to actually compile my own top-25 list like this. :angelic:

Tolkien has been overdone and outdone in every respect. The Hobbit is a great children's book and LOTR is a great YA book, but that's about it and I'm over it. I'm utterly sick of Tolkien-fantasy, have been for over a decade. Of course, I had also avoided reading his work for a long time because the same people that were constantly recommending D&D-literature to me were the ones recommending Tolkien to me, and I didn't really like the former though I'd read it from time to time, so I assumed I'd not like the latter, but in the end, when I finally did read Tolkien towards the end of high school, I found his work was light-years ahead of anything D&D-literature I'd had recommended to me and actually read, same as some of the stuff I'm reading now is light-years ahead of Tolkien. Perhaps if I'd read it when I was younger, I'd have been similarly affected...

LOTR is the best of the LOTR clones though, I'll give you that... :hilarious:

João Ribeiro

LOTR is the best of the LOTR clones though, I'll give you that...
Well let's look at it like this... if there hadn't been a LOTR probably there wouldn't have been any ASOIAF or MBotF or SA (that's Stormlight Archives :) )

At least not as popular anyway.

Griffin

Well let's look at it like this... if there hadn't been a LOTR probably there wouldn't have been any ASOIAF or MBotF or SA (that's Stormlight Archives )
That's true and fair, but that doesn't mean LoTR should be one of your favourite series. I respect Tolkien's legacy, but I love lots of fantasy books more than his.

João Ribeiro

That's true and fair, but that doesn't mean LoTR should be one of your favourite series. I respect Tolkien's legacy, but I love lots of fantasy books more than his.
I agree with you completely. It deserves a grandfatherly respect. However in my opinion it will always have a spot there because of the role it played in getting me into Fantasy. And how can I not love a book that sparked this in me?
Still it's just my opinion and, as such, only valid for me :)

Cheers

Griffin

I agree with you completely. It deserves a grandfatherly respect. However in my opinion it will always have a spot there because of the role it played in getting me into Fantasy. And how can I not love a book that sparked this in me?
Still it's just my opinion and, as such, only valid for me
I can totally understand that! It's why I have a similar relationship with Raymond E. Feist's novels. It's like agateway drug we've come to love :p

guilty_as_charged

A farm boy with a sword
I think it's great that you have your own opinion about the LOTR series, but I don't think you should go so far as to say that it shouldn't be someone's favorite series.

guilty_as_charged