The Malice by Peter Newman

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
The Malice, sequel to The Vagrant -- my favorite Fantasy Book of 2015 -- is now out.

I'll reading it and will be posting my rating / review here in a week or so.

If you've read it or are reading, post your rating here.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I can't seem to find it on Amazon (unless I want to pre-order and wait 9 or 10 months). But AbeBooks has UK sellers willing to ship it to the US.

btkong

Staff member
Fantastic book. Does much of what the first did, but expands the world. Still creepy, grotesque and utterly fascinating. The author continues his strong word smithing -- the prose is a joy to read with powerful descriptions, weird personalities, and an overall enthralling bit of world building.

This is a novel that's more about the journey and the weird setting then any one character or destination. I feel like I'm reading a mishmash of Gormanghast and the Dark Tower part of the time.

I did prefer the first book more, probably because I identified with the characters more than the new ones in the sequel; I thought the first was a bit tighter of a story and things slowly unfurled as you went along, adding to the feeling of mystery and big revelations as things went on.

But, a strong book. And I look forward to more.

8.5/10.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member

What I liked about the first book was not in this book which made it a disappointment for me.

wakarimasen

Yeah - I liked this. It kept the malformed, nightmarish tone of the first but added more coherent world building. There was a danger that by doing that he might burst the bubble a bit but actually I felt it helped it grow in the right direction. Very enjoyable and looking forward to the next one, though I think he's going to find it tricky to get a goat into it.
4/5

wakarimasen

@Jon Snow what was missing for you? was it...

...the main protag not talking? I kind of missed that but don't think I could have taken a whole other book of it, it bordered on gimic last time. I'll call it a literary conceit instead (cos I liked it).

Or was it something else?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
We don't get this until March 7, almost a full year after you all.
I think you are a bit more attached to ebooks than I am. For this one, I ordered a physical copy from a UK-based seller through AbeBooks. If you are not tied to Kindle, you can get overseas print books when they are released instead of waiting.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
@Jon Snow what was missing for you? was it...

...the main protag not talking? I kind of missed that but don't think I could have taken a whole other book of it, it bordered on gimic last time. I'll call it a literary conceit instead (cos I liked it).

Or was it something else?
I think the Vagrant was weird and wonderful. I really liked the "gamer" feel of the book. While in heroic fantasy things "fall" into place, I just felt this one, everything was too convenient.

I think the non-talking hero was a factor in this book or in the Vagrant.

I think mostly, I had come with pre-conceived ideas about this book and I was really disappointed in the end.