The NEW BFB Members Rankings List

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Detective, steampunk, future, grimdark, guns, con artists, female lead, multiple PoV, coming of age, politics, school, barbarian, gay, military, prophecy,
Imagine a combination of all these. Now that would be a great book!

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
I plan on starting to rate books which I have never really done. Which means it is time to go back to all of the series I have only read once and see how I feel about them now. Starting with Codex Alera by Jim Butcher.

Derk of Derkholm

So, the updated version is online!!!

See it in the first posts of the thread (I have updated those)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thanks Andy! This is a very interesting list. The top 25 resembles Ben's own.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
@Derk of Derkholm Great job, thank you for keeping us updated.

Im surprised Iron Druid is so low. So many people have read it. I guess the votes didnt come in yet.

And Uprooted is nowhere to be found, yet in the 2015 thread 8 people read it, 7 people rated it, and it's score from those 7 people is 8.28

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/uprooted-by-naomi-novik.2243/

I think it might be among top 3 highest rated books published in 2015 on this forum, if not maybe even no.1.

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

I am fully aware that some people will be surprised why a certain book, which they consider to be incredibly good, is not featured more prominently in the list.

One major reason for that is the change I have made to the "adjustment factor" that makes sure that books with only a few ratings do not shoot to the top of the list. A book with only 3 votes (like the Iron Druid Chronicles, or the Tales of the Ketty Jay, to give another example) only gets 75 % of the score that people have assigned to it. Once more votes come in, that number gets successively higher.

Uprooted is a relatively new addition to the database, and so far I only have received your vote for it.

Yes, I am aware that there is a sub-forum where people rate books, but so far I have not considered to actively take over these ratings into the database myself. I have so far relied exclusively on the ratings provided by people in their completeness, and not amended that information in any way.

Maybe that is something to consider for a future phase, but I was not sure so far whether the data from the subforum would be 100 % consistent with the ratings in the database.

Best regards,
Andy

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Yes, I am aware that there is a sub-forum where people rate books, but so far I have not considered to actively take over these ratings into the database myself. I have so far relied exclusively on the ratings provided by people in their completeness, and not amended that information in any way.
Maybe that is something to consider for a future phase, but I was not sure so far whether the data from the subforum would be 100 % consistent with the ratings in the database.
I don't think that would be a good idea to be honest. It would be too messy.

We might have to find a way to better facilitate future updates of our personal ratings. For example, I have now almost finished the Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfus and I'd like to adjust the rating for the Kingkiller Chronicles as a whole. It's quite a hassle to send you a new, updated list every time we want to adjust our ratings.

I know there's software available to facilitate this. For example, our company uses Sharepoint. Files can be updated and amended (depending on the type of authorizations a user has). It'd be very convenient if we could have the list on a simliar platform. You could then for example lock all columns, except for the personal rates column. People could amend and save their ratings at their leisure.

I don't know if this is a feasible option. I don't even know if there's free software available that has this functionality, but it might be worth looking into.

Derk of Derkholm

Hi silvion nights, you (and anybody else) can simply write me a forum pn or an email saying "please put x,xx as my rating for book y", and I can quickly update it.

For larger numbers of books, of course the excel format might be better suited ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hi silvion nights, you (and anybody else) can simply write me a forum pn or an email saying "please put x,xx as my rating for book y", and I can quickly update it.

For larger numbers of books, of course the excel format might be better suited ...

That would solve the problem. ☺ Thanks for going through the trouble.

Alucard

Staff member
I am fully aware that some people will be surprised why a certain book, which they consider to be incredibly good, is not featured more prominently in the list.
Oh I wouldn't consider Iron Druid incredibly good lol. They are just fun books. And I have this stupid hunch more than 3 members have read it.

Uprooted is a relatively new addition to the database, and so far I only have received your vote for it.
Come on people vote! :D

As you should imo. Maybe somebody has a change of heart and sends in a different rating and forgets to update 2015 thread.

Maybe. If we had a more interactive list. Where anyone could add any title in a simple way including newly published books.

I didn't mean to criticize you at all. Hope you didn't take it that way. I'm just surprised and a little sad that not a lot of people who are active members here actually voted now that they know you have taken over Antoxx.

Derk of Derkholm

Maybe. If we had a more interactive list. Where anyone could add any title in a simple way including newly published books.
I'd rather not have that.

Right now, we have about 350 books/series in the list (up from about 200), and whenever new ones are mentioned in a rating, I verify them, and add them.

Best regards,
Andy

Alucard

Staff member
I'd rather not have that.

Right now, we have about 350 books/series in the list (up from about 200), and whenever new ones are mentioned in a rating, I verify them, and add them.

Best regards,
Andy

You could have both.
There are sites out there where there is already a database of titles, so nobody can add duplicate. In case the title is not in the database, any member can add the title, but the admin has to verify it to be added into database. So you see one doesnt exclude the other.

Derk of Derkholm

Have updated the list with updates received from Jon Snow, Joao Ribeiro and Nikos4.
... and Silvion Nights new realizations after completing The Wise Man's Fear :D

No big changes, but a few more books made it up to the ranked version!

Last edited:

YordanZh

A Poet of the Khaiem
Aand I'm finally ready too! (Time for the M&M rating to plummet, muhaha! :cool: (we really need a :devil: emoticon :p ))

I've been postponing this for a while now, mainly because I thought it'd take me a long time - it really didn't. So if anyone else is procrastinating because it looks like a time-consuming operation - just do it. ;)

Derk of Derkholm

Well, thank you for your ratings, @YordanZh !!! (and @Fantam for your updates)
Have updated them.

Bulgakov moves from 30 to 50, aaaand, as you read it most likely in the original Russian version, I guess you are able to judge it.
(But then again, maybe you had to read it in highschool and are disgruntled because of that ;))

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:

YordanZh

A Poet of the Khaiem
Bulgakov moves from 30 to 50, aaaand, as you read it most likely in the original Russian version, I guess you are able to judge it.
(But then again, maybe you had to read it in highschool and are disgruntled because of that ;))
Bulgaria =/= Russia!!1! :p (Long nationalistic and anti-Russian rant, bla, bla, not really, I don't care about these things, don't worry. :D )
And no, I read it in Bulgarian in my Creative Writing classes in college. My low rating is not due to his writing, the guy is a literary genius, so by all means go ahead and read it if you're in the mood for a funny fantasy satire. My rating is due to purely subjective, personal preferences that I won't go into again because last time it didn't go well. :D

Anyway, thanks for the initiative, it was quite fun looking through the file, it reshuffled my TBR pile quite a bit. ;)

Derk of Derkholm

My rating is due to purely subjective, personal preferences that I won't go into again because last time it didn't go well
Ah, understand.

You're a godless communist and trying to drag a great and uplifting god-loving book into the mud.
I can understand that :D

ExTended

So you will be either excited or scared by the fact that I've made the list even more bulgarialized( or burglarized if you wish).

While I was giving WoT 10/10 and ASOIAF an 8! ( yeah, I've done it, I really did!) I figured out that someone needs to get into my reading list with more determination and that someone is me. So many (rumoured to be) great series awaiting some attention.

And before someone gets to me about my 10 points for WoT( and 9 for Kingskiller) - I've decided to go with 'the most satisfying series get the most points" strategy and since I enjoy re-reading WoT and Kingskiller the most, I've given them the highest rates. But all other series have gotten between 7 and 8.7, so it's not that big of a deal I think. Usually I was 10-20% plus/minus from the average rates, so the standings should remain pretty much the same. :)