The NEW BFB Members Rankings List

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
So you will be either excited or scared by the fact that I've made the list even more bulgarialized( or burglarized if you wish).

While I was giving WoT 10/10 and ASOIAF an 8! ( yeah, I've done it, I really did!) I figured out that someone needs to get into my reading list with more determination and that someone is me. So many (rumoured to be) great series awaiting some attention.

And before someone gets to me about my 10 points for WoT( and 9 for Kingskiller) - I've decided to go with 'the most satisfying series get the most points" strategy and since I enjoy re-reading WoT and Kingskiller the most, I've given them the highest rates. But all other series have gotten between 7 and 8.7, so it's not that big of a deal I think. Usually I was 10-20% plus/minus from the average rates, so the standings should remain pretty much the same. :)
You.. you... MONSTER! :mad:

;)

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
I am happy to notice that the "Classics" seem to be in high demand recently.

Especially the Hobbit has been making quite a comeback.

And with ExTended's vote, Douglas Hulick's "Tales of the Kin" also makes the list.
Similar to "The Master and Margarita", it does not shoot immediately to the top of the list (although it was very highly rated by those who have provided a rating), due to the "discount factor" that we have put in to make books with only very few votes more comparable to the mainstream taste.

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

So, with the latest additions to the list (Update by Buffy V Slayer, new votes from Cyphon and Kalavan), with "Dracula", another "Classic" makes its entrance to the list and even jumps to the Top 30!

michaeljtobias

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
A question from a newbie: How can Stormlight Archives, a series 20% done, rank #1? Iirc, Sanderson has indicated there will be 10 books, yes? I understand ASOIAF, again, iirc, that one is down to one more book, yes? But the first one I don't get. I'm not arguing, I'm just curious as to how a series that isn't even halfway done can rank #1? And yes, I read the first two, though I must confess I wish I hadn't. I made that mistake with WoT and never finished it because I didn't want to re-read the first 6 books so I wouldn't be lost in book 7 when it finally dropped.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
A question from a newbie: How can Stormlight Archives, a series 20% done, rank #1? Iirc, Sanderson has indicated there will be 10 books, yes? I understand ASOIAF, again, iirc, that one is down to one more book, yes? But the first one I don't get. I'm not arguing, I'm just curious as to how a series that isn't even halfway done can rank #1? And yes, I read the first two, though I must confess I wish I hadn't. I made that mistake with WoT and never finished it because I didn't want to re-read the first 6 books so I wouldn't be lost in book 7 when it finally dropped.
The Stormlight Archives rates highest because it was rated highest by those who voted. All lists are subjective and the motivations for the different people who contributed to the list may be different, but the bottom-line is that this series got the highest rating by a large amount of forum members.

Now I'm loathe to speak for anyone else (and I didn't read the series so I didn't rate it at all), but from what I've seen a lot of forum members like the series because it's very well written, it has some amazing characters (Dalinar and Kalavan ended up very high in our 2015 Fantasy Character Elimination Competition), the story is interesting and the world and magic system are also very well thought out and cool. Furthermore, when Words of Radiance came out a lot of people liked that book even better than Way of Kings, suggesting that the series will get even better over time (it shows progress). I gathered this all from reading the posts of others, so you could say it's a meta-study of other people's opinions, but I think I'm not far off the mark.

Cyphon

Silvion covered it nicely but just for comparison sake:

Jim Butcher just put out Aeronaut's Windlass this year and I believe it should already have enough votes to be on the list but it just wasn't as well regarded as Stormlight by the people voting. Sometimes you could argue author popularity but I would say Sanderson and Butcher are both very widely read and respected for previous works so this seems like a fairly good comparison.

Point is, even only one book in Butcher could have just as easily been number 1 as anyone else. Stormlight is certainly near the top of the hype list though lol.

Darwin

I agree with the preceding two posts. I'll add that it's just not feasible to hold off judgment until a series is completed when that day may be 20 years away, or may never come at all. If book 3 is significantly worse than books 1 and 2, the rank of the series will suffer as people edit their lists.

Wheel of Time is going to get a 10 from some people and a 5 from others, and the same with Malazan, First Law, etc., but I haven't read a strongly dissatisfied review of Stormlight Archives yet. It's possible it's scoring so high without being many peoples' absolute favorite.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like the others said.

I'm completely with you though. I'm going no where near this series until it's nearing completion. Life's too short to spend countless days/months rereading epic tomes each time a new book in the series gets released.

YordanZh

A Poet of the Khaiem
@michaeljtobias and @TomTB most of the really popular series have summaries! I even have to re read what happened in books that come out a year previously!
Yeah, well, it's still annoying tho, having to go and reread some summaries to find out what it is you read X months/years ago. I too personally am a "binge-reader" just like I binge-watch TV shows and therefore I usually avoid unfinished series. Not always, but usually.

Kalavan

I understand ASOIAF, again, iirc, that one is down to one more book, yes?
Wish that would be the case! There should be at least another two books, at times I think that we'll probably see the end of The Stormlight Archives - at least the first quintet - before than ASOIAF's one :(

In some ways I agree with you - surely a final verdict could be made only on a finished series - but these ongoing series are out there, and they deserved to be discussed and evaluated as of today. If book 3 of SoA will be a disappointment, surely the ratings for this series will drop - as I presume happened with A Dance of Dragons for many ASOIAF fans.

Then again, I don't usually mind re-reading a book, especially after reading a couple of following ones, I often notice lots of details to which I didn't pay attention the first time

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
as I presume happened with A Dance of Dragons for many ASOIAF fans.
I thought Dance with Dragons was a solid book. Better than Feast for Crows. Especially the second half of the book was fast-paced and fun. Can't wait for the Winds of Winter.

Kalavan

I thought Dance with Dragons was a solid book. Better than Feast for Crows. Especially the second half of the book was fast-paced and fun. Can't wait for the Winds of Winter.
My fault, I was thinking ADwD was the 4th book - while not as good as the first three, I agree that it is quite a bit better thatn AFfC

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I've just sent mine in, @Derk of Derkholm . I assumed 1 was the lowest score I could give out, or I would have rated some things -10, like Tigana, right @Danica ?

I also added a new series that I think I may be the only person on the board has read, but it's entertaining. It's a 4 book series by Michael Stackpole, who wrote Talion: Revenant, which many people have read, called The DragonCrown War Cycle. It's entertaining, if not somewhat simple, and is a trilogy with a prequel written after.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Odd, I thought AFfC was better than ADwD.
"I'm looking for a highborn maid of three-and-ten, with a fair face and auburn hair..." x20. :(

Derk of Derkholm

Awesome! 3 new rankings (Darwin, Cyphon full list, L3Gacy), that I will add to the list shortly!!!

Cyphon

You read Feast twice?! Did you lose a bet or something? :D

Kidding, kidding. I just don't like rereading books in general, so it's always weird to me. Unless it's something funny like Pratchett or Adams. But to each his own, I guess. :)
I will most likely re-read any series I like at least twice in my lifetime. Between having a bad memory at times and the amount of books I have read, as well as the time in-between a re-read a lot of the stuff is all new to me again.

I read the first 4 ASoIaF books a long time ago and then when Dragons came out I read it all again to be ready for the release. May read them all again when the next book comes out.