The NEW BFB Members Rankings List

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Derk of Derkholm, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Arvin14

Arvin14 A Muggle

You're welcome

2. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Thank you, guys, for all the updates received directly in the thread and by email/conversation!

Biggest winner with the new rankings, is .... well deservedly ... Allan Batchelder's "Immortal Treacheries", who move from #85 earlier to now #34 !!!!

Congratulations, Allan, and thanks to everybody who put his vote in!!!

3. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Just wanted to give this thread a bump for all the new forum members. Have a look at the BFB Members ranked list on page 1 of this thread. It's very interesting and could be used as inspiration to select your next fantasy read.

4. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

I would love to provide a list, but I still feel I haven't read enough to provide a proper list

5. Silvion Night

Really? Note that it doesn't have to be a set number of books/series. What I've been doing these last months is send Andy grades for newly finished books. It's about the consolidated rating after all, not especially about the individual top 10s or top 25s (although these are also interesting to read).

6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Silvion's got it, Jakyro. I only submitted like 12 or 14 that I felt ought to make this particular list and I could rate.

7. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

If you guys (and girls) wish, I can add this to the main site as a graphical list -- it may make it much easier to see. And also, I can give the person managing the list access to the backend to update / manage the list.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  8. Silvion Night

Wow, that'd be awesome Ben. Let's hear what @Derk of Derkholm thinks about it. He's currently managing the list.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Hello all.

Hey Derk, I remember you, Sir. I've been gone forever. Life suddenly threw some heavy curves but I kept up my reading up as best as I could. I see you took over for Antoxx on the forum members lists. Admittedly, getting a members list going was my hidden agenda for joining initially but I waited a month or two after to suggest it. I still got a little flak at first but Antoxx took it and ran with it and developed it far far beyond my hopes and wildest expectations. He was my favorite member and I was really hoping to see him when I returned but I see his last activity was September 2014. I lost his email and I do pray all is well with him. A very good egg. I will have to see who has stuck around besides you.

Anyhow, It looks like you also are keeping remarkable statistics. In the first post in this thread I believe you offered to send any who requested a list their previous lists to them. I have so many too add if I can see where I left off I may be able to find most if not all. My lost was with the Antoxx emails and stuff that I lost. If you need my email I know Ben has it or send me a pm and I will happily give it to you.

Speaking of Ben...Ben, you are still remarkable and awesome. If you can find the time and energy to put it on the main site as a graphic that would be another spectacular feat to add to your ledger. I still have a terrific TBR list I work off of thanks a million times to you!! I don't know how you manage. Quality always.

Thanks!!
    ---D.T.---

10. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Hey DT :) You're a blast from the past .. Welcome back! I was only reading a bunch of your posts a couple days ago over in the Night Circus book thread and wondering where you'd gotten to.

Antoxx disappeared just as suddenly as you did .. here one minute gone the next. Derk has done a cracking job of keeping the list going though.

11. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

Thanks mate -- yes I'll make a point to create this list for the main site. The only thing I need to cough up is the text for each entry -- I'll see what I can do over the next month. Good to hear from you mate!

12. Darth Tater

Derk has been kind enough to allow me to redo my list. I have plenty of books that I read since I was last here.

OK so there are some books that are supposed to be funny or Kids books like the Wizard of Oz (I read all 14 in an omnibus). Some say there's one more but it's a long story to get into. But how do I rank a book like that? How do I rank out against the way of kings? Do you guys rank your books like what they're meant for (Conan, wizard of Oz, Howls Castle, etc. as compared to Martin & Sanderson? Or do you rank them as a great kids book that adults may enjoy? Same with books considered YA.

I keep going back-and-forth on this. Suggestions?

13. TomTB

I just rate based on what the book means to me. So if I thoroughly enjoy a YA fairy tale book, and if I thoroughly enjoy a gay vampire post apocalyptic comedy book, I'll give them the same (or very similar) ratings.

14. Silvion Night

I've been looking to extend my reading into this for me hitherto unexplored territory. Do you have some recommendations?

15. TomTB

Too many to mention @Silvion Night .... too many to mention.

16. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I was surprised to see Liveship Traders up so so high...that very well might be my favorite fantasy trilogy. I don't even think Stormlight Archive should even be eligible...it only has 2 books out in a 10 book series...a series should have to have at least HALF it's books out to be on a list like this. (to be fair though I haven't read them...I'm waiting till more come out. I don't like getting into a series and having to wait every 2 years to enjoy it again lol) I don't think I could ever make a list like this...novels aren't like movies...hour and half to 2 hours and then you can move on...you invest a lot more time into books and it's impossible to remember details in say something like Malazan as compared to a 2 hour movie. You are generally going to rate something higher that is fresher in your mind when it comes to reading.

17. Silvion Night

In my experience nostalgia is very powerful. Old series read during the teenage years feature pretty high on my personal list.

This is impossible to do, as for a lot of series it's not really clear how many books a series will have beforehand (asoiaf for example).

18. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I think The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman is underrated. I really enjoyed it anyway.

19. Darth Tater

I totally loved The Swans War which hasn't received three reviews yet. Same with Shadowmarch.

20. Darth Tater

It would also artificially inflate rankings on series. Some, if not most, readers put away a series if they aren't enjoying it. If those people couldn't rank that series it would likely receive pretty high marks. If four people if ten finished it and liked/loved it then it might get a 9.2 wheras it might get a 7.6 if everyone ranked it. Another book that all ten really liked but only a couple loved might only get an 8.5. It is an unexact science but I believe the mire input the more accurate the results.

I just reranked all my books and submitted my list to Derk a few days ago and if I did it today I would rank several differently. As long as we do our best I think it it comes out fairly accurately with fun and interesting data. It is a lot better than the public lists where some idiot has casted 18 positive votes for the Sword Of Truth!