The NEW BFB Members Rankings List

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Derk of Derkholm, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I agree. I absolutely love that series. Gerald Tarrant is a terrific character. It has one of the best explanations of how technology hasn't kept up in a world with magic.

2. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I've had that whole series (Swans War) on my phone forever and just keep passing it up for some reason. I need to start it soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Darth Tater, with your vote and the update I posted today, Shadowmarch finally is figured in the ranked list. Will take some more time for Swans war, I guess.

Best regards,
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Derk of Derkholm

With @Amaryllis ' comprehensive update and @Darth Tater 's revisions , we now have a lot more ranked books, and some new books in the list waiting to be ranked by readers.

Aaaaaand .... @ABatch 's "Immortal Treacheries" climbs to place 13, definitely the best position for an indie author on the list.....

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

Nice to see Dracula in the top 10. I wasn't expecting that! I can't believe Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell isn't ranked a lot higher. That's a fantasy novel that's actually rated well among literary critics.

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

So Dracula is not only considered fantasy but in the top ten? Too bad Frankenstein's probably considered more science fiction because I read it 2 or 3 years ago and it was one of the worst books ever. Some of the basic ideas were great but the writing was terrible, IMO. Quite boring and the monster kept popping up all over the world with no explanation.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Darth Tater

Can anyone please tell me where to find the list?

8. ABatch

ABatch Killed a Sandworm

Well, in fairness, Shelley wrote it in one draft, over a weekend. And she wasn't really a writer. The writing's not great, but the concept has changed everything!

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Darth Tater

Absolutely. Great concept as noted. But I'm surprised she spent an ENTIRE weekend on it. Looked more like a Friday evening to me. :p

10. Derk of Derkholm

While Dracula has only 5 votes, all the voters have given it quite high marks. It has actually the highest ranking of all the books in the list. If we did not have the "discount factor" that reduces the average for books that have only very few votes, it would be at the top of the list.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, on the other hand, seems to have infuriated two reviewers up to the point that they gave it a very bad "1" ranking, which brings down the overall score, as there are also not that many votes yet. With more votes, it will likely move up in the list.

It is interesting to observe that the 4 series at the top (The Way of Kings, A Game of Thrones, The Name of the Wind, Lord of the Rings) manage to combine lots of votes with the enthusiasm of most of the voters.

11. Darth Tater

Awesome list Derk!! You obviously put a great deal of effort into this and I'm guessing everyone else appreciates it as much as I do. The adjusted stats were a fantastic idea. Very interesting results. I was pretty close on most to where the majority was on all with the exception of around 3 to high and 3 too low. It was nice to see some of the oldies receive their due.

12. moonspawn

Interesting. These are two of the highest quality novels I've read, but one gets lucky and one doesn't. The same people who rated Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell low would probably rate Dracula the same.

Considering how popular Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is, that it had a very good BBC production based on the book, and that it's on the top 25 list on the main site I'm surprised that people seem to be actively avoiding it. Everyone who hasn't read it needs to drop whatever their reading and read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell!

13. Derk of Derkholm

Yes, I find that interesting as well.

I don't recall where I saw it, but think I remember reading some on the forum a less-than-glowing review or critique of "Jonathan Strange".

And looking at the reviews on goodreads, it seems that there are some readers who loathe the book with a vengeance and call it pretentious. The commenters typically either agree with them or wish them well for growing up at some point in time :D

14. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Ran bridges next to Kaladin

On Jonathon Strange - I think it's a real marmite book. I hated it, with a passion. Found it too slow, the characters not likeable enough to keep me reading. I put it down 150 pages in with relief. My husband, who is a more patient reader than me tried to, and got to about 250 pages. Now, it resides in the local train station library in the hope it will find a home with someone who loves it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Derk of Derkholm

How can you hate Marmite? You're a citizen of the United Kingdom, are you not????
    *** Oops, just noticed in time that you are in Northern Ireland ***

16. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Marmite is one of the greatest inventions of all time ... we devour it in our house .. my daughter loves it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  17. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

You've got to love the Brits' idiosyncrasy!
    To me Dracula is very overrated. I was happy to see in the list Fevre Dream, loved it. Mythago Wood cycle left me in a "in between Marmite state" There were aspects of the book which I adored but some others bored me...

18. Derk of Derkholm

Elvira, welcome to the forum!

Don't hesitate to provide your own ranking!!!
    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by PN!

• Like Like x 1
  19. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Ha! I am on that side of the little squiggly line on the map. Always a thorny one... :D

20. moonspawn

Those reviewer's who call it pretentious are wrong. It took the author something like ten years to write it and all the work and research she put into really shows in the in-depth details on fairy lore and the Napoleonic wars.

Sure it's slow but it's by no means a difficult book. The characters also become more likable as the book goes on and at 150 pages, well that's a bit too early to tell.