The Novice by Taran Matharu

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Ok, dropped it at around 160 pages in, with 41% finished. It's fucking lame. Had some decent scenes here and there, but none of the characters are very interesting. The villains are puppy kickers in a very very unfunny comic relief sort of way. The heroes are very boring and borderline annoying outside of their own concepts(which was what kept me going for as long as I did.), and dare I say something that rarely bothers me....they came off as generic.

Here's a tip authors. When you have ME complaining about generic characters, you've done something very very wrong, because I'm very easy to pander to.

I should also say that most of what came after the first 25% of the book felt like it didn't even need to be there. Nice job doing that with a book that's only around 400 pages!

Really curious if anyone else has read it, and their thoughts on it.

Edit: Oh, and I give it a 3/10.

Last edited:

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
I checked this book on Goodreads because of this post. The book gets a surprisingly high score 4.16 (out of 5) with more than 700 ratings.
Did you like the genre? How do you mean generic? Every character was basically the same? They didn't have interesting background stories?

MorteTorment

I checked this book on Goodreads because of this post. The book gets a surprisingly high score 4.16 (out of 5) with more than 700 ratings.
Did you like the genre? How do you mean generic? Every character was basically the same? They didn't have interesting background stories?
Yeah, it's insanely popular. It got over 6 million views on wattpad.

Do I like the genre? Well it's several genres. Young Adult? Sure, that works as far as I can tell. I was in the mood for something lighthearted as well, and it provided that, even if it fucking blew.

No, every character wasn't the same, but they really feel like flat out bad versions of characters that I've seen in a lot of video games movies, and other books out there, and like I said they're boring outside of their concepts. The demons themselves are beyond forgettable. It's like they exist to attack, and nothing else. The demons are supposed to be inspired from the pokemon/digimon anime titles, yet there doesn't seem to be much to them.

Oh, and as for the background stories, I don't remember any background stories told outside of the main characters.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
So, a review of a book that you only read a part of. I don't think this is helpful.

MorteTorment

So, a review of a book that you only read a part of. I don't think this is helpful.
Also, please give it a rating even if you didn't finish the book. State that you didn't finish it and give it a rating and a reason why. I don't want to have a goodreads rating where every books is 3+ and most avg between 3.5 and 4.5