The Official Beer Thread, with your Host, Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
with representatives from most of the major Beer drinking countries in the world (I think no china, and russia?) im surprised this hasn't made it on here.
If theres a legal reason to remove this thread, I feel no ilk, and will not try it again.

BUT anyway, we have music threads, and manga forums, and viderogame... etc. why not beer. Im sure im not the only one on here who dedicates at least a moticum of time on libations. (Yes you can post on liquor, sake, cider, mead, etc.) this is where the literature meets the ethanol.

so what do you like, whats it like there (where you are). what was the last great beer you had/ the last bad beer. do you drink while you read, or do you follow the footsteps of faaaaar too many great authors and drink while you write.

-
-
-
-
-
on a final note, I am not encouraging underage drinking, problem drinking, or irresponsible drinking. if you have a problem , seek help. OR, if you just want to talk to someone about your potential problem, Im sure Im not the only one on here with an open ear....er...eye. I and many like me Im sure would be happy to talk about it.

Bierschneeman

I love beer, its my profession. today I was disappointed again, that our house Gose keg was kicked...AGAIN, and I will not be enjoying some when I get off in the morning heat. (im angry)

last week we finished up another round of our new Whitbeer (dryhopped), using the same wheat that Pierre Celis was using when he was still alive.
and earlier this year. and earlier this year we made a beautiful imperial black Ipa collaboration with Surly Brewing and three Floyds Brewing.

ohh and yesterday I was rather disappointed in a Special Bitter from England I had....it was all American hops, I definitely prefer the woody, musty english hops in my British Bitter styles. and keep my American Hops in American Beer Styles.

ofer

Favorite mass-produced global beer - Leffe

Favorite obscure local beers:
1. Beagle - South Argentine. Ask for the red type.
2. Vatnajokull - Iceland.
3. Beerlao - Laos

Best place for beer in the world - Hannoi, Vietnam. For 20,000 VND (around 1$) you get a 680 ml bottle of a fairly decent beer.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are we talking lager, or bitter, or both? I'm right in thinking that in the US beer is lager, and bitter is, erm, not drunk?

I tend to stick with lager or pale ales in the summer months, and nice local bitter or Guinness in the winter.

Derk of Derkholm

I like Budweiser ... but of course the real one ... Budvar from Ceske Budovice.
Not the American rinsing solution.

As far as "fancy" beers are concerned, I have enjoyed "Lindmans" peach/cherry/strawberry beers in Belgium, normally those are too sweet for me.

Need to give this more consideration, there are also some other nice beers out there.

Best regards,
Andy

sopranosfan

All of them! Seriously except for the cheap beer I don't think I have had one I didn't like and I tend to change with the season. But if you made me choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life it would be an American Pale Ale like Sierra Nevada.

Hand of Fear

I'm more of a cider person and I love Kopparberg pear cider, and Brothers toffee apple.

I like my ciders sweet.

There's also a banana flavoured ale sold over here in the UK but I can't remember the name.

Khartun

I love lots of beers. I usually drink Shiner or Dos Euis Ambar. One of my favorites I can't get here, Yuengling. I love a good Hef or a Black and Tan. About the only thing I don't like are IPAs.

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
What kind of education do you go through in america to get to brew beer?

In Denmark, becoming a brewer is a 10 yearish education all told. To be eligible you need a masterdegree in either chemistry, molecularbiology, medicine or something closely related. Then you can apply to become a student.

Sir Arthur

IMG_0072.JPG

I picked this one up on my ride home from work. Lagunitas, Dark ale, 65 IBU and 8.2% alc.. Not bad, but not great. Tonight I've got a Imperial Russian stout, from Stone Brewing.

Derk of Derkholm

Ah, one very special thing from the south of Germany that deserves mention: Bananenweizen.
Basically a mix of Wheat beer (white beer) and ... Banana juice. Hard to explain to people who have never tasted it, but actually quite nice.

I do like Radler (mix of beer and lemonade), and "Russen" ("Russian"), the same thing, but with wheat beer.

Best regards,
Andy

Griffin

I'm a big fan of Duvel and Stella Artois

Locally known beers I like are:
- Vlaamsche Leeuw
- Brugse Zot
- De Arend Tripel
- Delirium Tremens
- Ename Tripel
- Kapittel Watou

I don't like:
- Guinness
- Gueuze

I don't really drink a lot of outlandish beer, because 1)more often than not they don't sell it here 2) we have so many Belgian beers I want to try them first :D

sopranosfan

Is it true Germany makes the best beer ?
America does now. Sorry guys but it's true. Over the last 10 years the craft beer industry has exploded here. Germany and Belgium make some great beers, I'm partial to Belgium out of the two despite my German heritage, but there is every kind of beer you can imagine and some you can't imagine being brewed here now. Stone Brewing here makes better beers than any imported I have had. Now it is possible I haven't had the best imported but I have had some good(and expensive) imports and I still prefer American craft.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the beer made over in the U.K is pretty poor.
The problem over here is that 95% of all pubs sell nothing but mass produced crap. There are some cracking beers being made across the UK, but you've got to know where to go for it. The CAMRA beer festivals have some fantastic beers, but these invariably turn into massive piss ups and I can never remember what beers i tasted.

Sir Arthur

Over the last 10 years the craft beer industry has exploded here
It's true, it's a great time to be a beer fan in the US. The northwest region where I live is exceptionally good IMO. I live in a mid size town of about 70,ooo people, and I think we have we have 6 craft breweries within city limits, and another really good one a few miles out in the county. All but one have pubs to serve their beer with some pretty good pub fare.

We spend a lot of time on road trips, camping, trail runnung, and mountain biking throughout the northwest ( Washington, Oregon, and B.C. Canada ). Every little town we stop in has at least one brew pub with great craft beer, and often good food.

I've joked about writing a travel guide based around Trail running, mountain biking, beer, and yam fries.