The Official Beer Thread, with your Host, Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
I can't get the images to work nor links.
Also I'm done debating this.

If you want more info just look up the BCCA website or one of its chapters will have some info not on the main website but maybe not the overall picture like they do. These are the foremost experts on the subject and are more likely to get it right than a magazine.

Edit: or myself for that matter

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Nuomer1

Steady, guys . . . I think this discussion is largely based on the old saying about England & America "Two countries separated by a common tongue"
Anyone using the terms 'tinned' or 'canned' (or any close relative of those) maybe needs to clarify - or say where he learned his English.
(PS I am English, and therefore represent the official version ;) )

Bierschneeman

I'm am taking the next 30 days off of beer.

No reason, just making so much progress on my other new years resolution s I figured I should focus on the weight loss one for a bit.

Bierschneeman

Drink up, today is national beer day in the US.
Contrary to popular opinion it is not the end of prohibition, (thats dec 5th, repeal day) it is however the first day you could drink beer legally, since the falstead act, as the cullen-harrison act came into effect. You could already drink wine legally if you could afford to be in a country club, and hard liquor wasn't legal until repeal day (or perhaps sometime after)

So it's beer day (3.2%or lower)

Peat

So. Three things. Four things!

The Southern Tier Thick Mint is abso-blinking-lutely fantastic. I don't know how many of those reading are likely to pass by it but if you do, get involved. I've found a few other real humdingers over here this trip but I can't remember them off the top of my head and am too lazy to look up my untapped. American Craft Beer is pretty dang awesome. Also I had a great brown ale flavoured with oats, cocoa, ginger and star anise the other day. That shouldn't work but does.

Also, I'm considering getting into home brew. Who can give me tips?

Also also, my new wife is a massive beer nerd and is likely to be moving to London soon. Do any of the industry people have tips on where to start looking if she wants to work for a brewery in a PR/sales type role? (Currently a bar manager, degree is PR/Communications but that was 10 years ago).

Also also also, I did just get married, and we had nine different beers and ciders there. Okay, three of them were Miller/Yuengling/Corona because you've got to look after the plebs, but we did have plenty of the good stuff. Too much of it really as we've still got lots left over! And we've also got some good stuff friends have given us to drink. And some stuff we took home from Florida. Our issue is we drink beer a lot slower than we like to buy it.

Matticus Primal

Our issue is we drink beer a lot slower than we like to buy it.
I can think of worse problems to have. I have the same issue with whiskey, which then inverts on occasion.

And, everyone, please congratulate Peat, who subtly slipped in the fact he just tied the knot in his response. Just one more step on his trudge towards respectability...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
So. Three things. Four things!

The Southern Tier Thick Mint is abso-blinking-lutely fantastic. I don't know how many of those reading are likely to pass by it but if you do, get involved. I've found a few other real humdingers over here this trip but I can't remember them off the top of my head and am too lazy to look up my untapped. American Craft Beer is pretty dang awesome. Also I had a great brown ale flavoured with oats, cocoa, ginger and star anise the other day. That shouldn't work but does.

Also also, my new wife is a massive beer nerd and is likely to be moving to London soon. Do any of the industry people have tips on where to start looking if she wants to work for a brewery in a PR/sales type role? (Currently a bar manager, degree is PR/Communications but that was 10 years ago).

Also also also, I did just get married, and we had nine different beers and ciders there. Okay, three of them were Miller/Yuengling/Corona because you've got to look after the plebs, but we did have plenty of the good stuff. Too much of it really as we've still got lots left over! And we've also got some good stuff friends have given us to drink. And some stuff we took home from Florida. Our issue is we drink beer a lot slower than we like to buy it.
Many congrats fella! If you need a hand getting through your beer backlog just let me know, more than happy to assist!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Congratulations Peat!

Nuomer1

As regards equipment, cleanliness is next to godliness - but that also includes purging the sulphur dioxide, bleach or other cleansing/sterilising agents before they contaminate the beer.

Bierschneeman

You get out of it, what you put in, with education, monetary investment, and dedication to procedure.

You can get a free pamphlet and spend $15 on equipment...it will be alcoholic.
Or you can spend $10000 on equipment and take college courses and work a side job at a local brewery....and every step in between.

I'm a fan of saving money, but doing things right. If this will be a light hobby like cooking with grandma, "the joy of homebrewing" ~Charlie papazian. Great book you can make great beers using this.
If you want to know more of the science behind brewing, a more advanced scientific approach with great equations. "How to brew" ~John Palmer.

For equipment you can get a gumbo pot and a Cajun burner for pretty cheap (for kettle) and get a plastic homebrew bucket (this will eventually become unusable for sanitary purposes, but you can then convert it as you advance, as a later tun, or hot liquor tank or grits case.

For that equipment you can easily buy a simple kit for your first brew, some people stop there, and just kit brew all the time...nithing wrong with that. If you want to advance you can move to mini mashing, then make or buy a later tun for all grain mashing.

You have any questions I'm here.

One last thing, the useful brewing quote is "sanitation, sanitation, sanitation." . My common phrase is "you cant sanitize what isnt clean"

Also also, my new wife

Also also also, I did just get married,
I saw that slide in , congrats... this could have been in it's own thread.
Miller/Yuengling/Corona because you've got to look after the plebs, but we did have plenty of the good stuff. Too much of it really as we've still got lots left over! And we've also got some good stuff friends have given us to drink. And some stuff we took home from Florida. Our issue is we drink beer a lot slower than we like to buy it.
Nothing wrong with those beers, there's a beer for everyone, we can't all drink one variety or brand.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

Bierschneeman

I basically pubbed 90% of my time in England.
soo many cask beers so little time.

also I have been identified as liking "old Man Beers" so what. I like a good Ale.

I did hike the Lakes (my wifes Ancestrial Home). Heard all sorts of stories from there including a whole line of personal accounts of Beatrix Potter (Peter Rabbit) as most of the family that was alive from that time knew here, worked for her, or had her as a regular customer.

I did hike most the York Walls too

and I did wander around Blackpool for a day (or we called it Sparkle City)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I basically pubbed 90% of my time in England.
soo many cask beers so little time.

also I have been identified as liking "old Man Beers" so what. I like a good Ale.

I did hike the Lakes (my wifes Ancestrial Home). Heard all sorts of stories from there including a whole line of personal accounts of Beatrix Potter (Peter Rabbit) as most of the family that was alive from that time knew here, worked for her, or had her as a regular customer.

I did hike most the York Walls too

and I did wander around Blackpool for a day (or we called it Sparkle City)
Sounds like you had a good time! I was in the Lakes a few weeks ago .. went to Beatrix Potter's house and also the World of Beatrix Potter. Daughter loved it!

Bierschneeman

some excellent news for the betterment of beer marketing practices in this country.

several yearsago millercoors applied for a trademark for "Stone" as an alternative for their keystone line. they were denied since stone brewing owns the trademark. it appears they don't care and think they have enough bulk to throw around they can ignore laws. they have now replaced their FB marketing as well as in stores in big stacks of boxes violating trademark laws.

they are now being rightfully sued.

me posting this is not me being petty, or hating on the big guys, I know a lot of millercoors guys, this is me appreciating the situation of a company (didnt matter who) being so big they dont think normal laws apply to them, and getting their due desserts.

I hope.