The Seven by Peter Newman

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
The final volume of The Vagrant trilogy, one of my favorite series ever (The Malice, book one in the series, was one of my favorite fantasy books).

Loves the first two, the final looks to be just as good. Will post a review here when I'm finished.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Awesome Ben! I've got the first book here on my shelf and I'll start it right after the one I'm reading now.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Oh, I ordered this from the UK and finished it awhile back.

At times I felt like I was reading the final battle in a Final Fantasy game (a sense I did not get with the first two) but I did like it, overall.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Just finished both the Malice and the Seven in consecutive order. Story-wise I think they were better than the Vagrant, but I liked the prose in part 1 better, which has to do with the fact that the main character didn't talk, yet the author managed to convey meaning very well through posture and gestured. Very well done in my opinion.

In any case, I think the story in book 2 and 3, which both focused on Vesper, was quite nice. The setting and world were again very imaginative. I also really liked the fact that in book 3 Newman worked with flashback scenes to explain how the world as we know it came to be.

It's a shame I didn't care for some characters in books 2 and 3. The character of Jem is an irritating, selfish coward and Vesper was a bit of an idiot for most of book 2. Luckily she grew in her role. My favorite characters were Samael, the man-shape, and of course the Vagrant.

All in all I must say I enjoyed the trilogy as a whole. The first book I rated with a 7/10. The second book gets a 7.2/10 and the third one a 7.8/10.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The character of Jem is an irritating, selfish coward
He (and his relationship with Vesper) seemed out of place to me in book 3.

While I liked book 3, it felt at times like I was reading a novelization of a Final Fantasy final battle -- disparate group of characters who have been collected from all over the place, floating sky palace, weapons with special abilities, even Samael and his dogspawn, etc.