The Showcase - Book display of our very own BFBF Indie Authors

Discussion in 'Fantasy Authors' started by Silvion Night, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Hi Gang,

Over the years I've seen a lot of forum members come and go. What quickly became apparent to me is that one of the driving forces of this Forum is the group of indie authors. Often they keep the discussions alive around here.

Also, whereas at first I was a bit skeptical about the writing prowess of our forum frequenters (had some negative experiences with indie books in the past), I had to ditch my doubts after reading some of their work. My reading experiences have invariably been positive.I know I (and a lot of other forum members with me) are planning on reading more books by our own indie authors in the future.

Therefore I thought it'd be a cool idea to have a dedicated thread where our very own BFBF indie authors can showcase their work. I'm thinking 1 post per indie author where they post a (clickable) thumbnail/image of the book(s) they want to display, along with a short description/blurb per book. And maybe something about the author. Kinda like how Alucard posts her recs or upcoming books:

upload_2016-12-9_13-19-54.png

Rules:
    - The thread is moderated by me (and the other mods if they like/wish/dare to get involved).
    - The definition of a BFBF indie author is ambiguous. Let's just say if you don't feel like you belong to that category, please don't post. If your post is not deleted you implicitly get my stamp of approval (so I don't want to see any false modesty from members like @Tanniel, @ABatch, @Matticus Primal etc. Please post your stuff).
    - Please limit yourself to 1 post, which can be edited if the need arises. See the post as your personal showcase/display cabinet.

Note: As self-promotion is generally frowned upon on this forum (but allowed if posted in the correct area) I realize this can be a bit tricky. However, if we can make this work I think it would be a cool addition to the forum. I think I could even make this a sticky so it appears on the top of the page if it turns out this idea is sound (in that case we can also do something about the thread title, which is not ideal, but the best I could come up with).

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Tanniel

Tanniel Became a Faceless Man

I don't even possess genuine modesty, and certainly not the false variety! I'll be happy to be a guinea pig and see if this thread works and draws any interest. Thanks for thinking this up, @Silvion Night.

[​IMG]
    Conflict is always lurking beneath the surface in the realms of Adalmearc. Power is scattered amongst many in its multiple forms: the authority of kings and noblemen, the military might of the knight order, the spiritual influence of the priesthoods, and the economic control of the guilds. With the death of a king, all are free to pursue their own agenda, and each is the hero of his or her own story. In the end, only one may remain: one winner, one hero, one story.

The Eagle's Flight can be downloaded for free from its website, which contains further information about the world as well as a highly detailed map, downloadable in high resolution. It is the first book in the series The Chronicles of Adalmearc. Influences upon the author for this series includes a love of history and attention to realistic details in a medieval-inspired fantasy setting, a fascination with languages and using the complex origins of English to build the cultures and myths of Adalmearc, and a Master's degree in Comparative Literature, which spawned a desire to write a new kind of story built on the foundation of epic fantasy: No prophecy, no quest, no pre-ordained hero, only characters each seeking to be the last one standing. History is written by the winner.​

• Like Like x 4
  3. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Ran bridges next to Kaladin

That's very kind of you, Silvion. :)

I've popped the link to my author's page, if that's okay, as I have a number of titles out and about (including short stories - one of which, in Malevolence, was an Ellen Datlow recommended read) and this has them all in one place.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jo-Zebedee/e/B00VM61TZG

My books: The Inheritance Trilogy, my Abendau books. A dark space opera, very character-led. What happens if you are the chosen one? What would it be like to have that destiny? It's a big, sprawling family dynasty story with multi-generational voices and a classic Space Opera feel.

My standalone: Inish Carraig. Set in post-alien invasion, dystopian, Belfast. John, a teenager on the streets, is fighting to survive. Henry is the cop who gets embroiled in John's life. When John is sent to Inish Carraig, a formidable alien prison, he unearths a truth that threatens what remains of Earth. He has to unveil it. First, he has to get out.

And coming next year, I have Waters and the Wild, a dark fantasy set in the Glens of Antrim. Do you believe in fairies? You might, after reading it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Knows Who John Uskglass Is

I too have never been accused of false modestly. Passive aggression, yes. But then I punched him in the face.

[​IMG]

A Gunpowder Fantasy re-imagining of the American Civil War, The Woven Ring pits muskets against magic, massive war machines against mind readers, and glass sabers against soldiers in psychic exoskeletons.

In exile since the civil war that tore the nation of Newfield apart, former spy and turncoat Marta Childress wants nothing more than to quietly live out her remaining days in the West. But then her manipulative brother arrives with one final mission: Transport the daughter of a hated inventor deep into the East. Forced to decide between safely delivering the girl and assassinating the inventor, Marta is torn between ensuring the fragile peace and sparking a second civil war.

Aided by an untrustworthy Dobra and his mysterious mute companion, Marta soon discovers that dark forces, human and perhaps the devil herself, seek to end her quest into the East.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Another great idea of yours, Silvion! I'm pretty sure we all root for them . This will also clue us in on their pen names. Wow. I had absolutely no clue that @jo zebedee was an author, let alone so many cool books! Other people too.

Hopefully you authors keep us posted on any recent or overall successes you've experienced. Advertised on Amazons page, great sales, positive reviews. Or even roadblocks. I cannot speak for everyone but I personally have always been VERY interested in how you guys were doing.

Today, I was really glad to see @Davis Ashura on Amazon's deals page. (Not the highlighted DAILY deal front page unfortunately, YET, but a few pages in where it will be there for a month). Had I seen THIS thread earlier today I wouldn't have started a new one asking my question.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Ran bridges next to Kaladin

:D Dang, I need to talk less and promo more ;) (Not!) :D

7. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Wait! Is this real? I got an email from Amazon promoting my books, but I didn't really it much attention. Guess I should have. I really wish I understood what sparked my success as an author. I think I have some idea for the audiobook market, but the ebookmarket remains an utter mystery to me.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Congratulations! Lucky I came across it then. If you haven't seen it you go to the main Amazon Daily Deal page and click on the science fiction/fantasy. I think it was four or five pages in but if it sells well relative to the others it will keep moving up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABatch

ABatch Killed a Sandworm

I think many of you know me and my books already, but it was recommended that I (re)post here, so this is my first book:

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Blood-...lood & fire&qid=1462334033&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It's a stand-alone, but my hope is you'll want to continue, as the characters have a lot more to accomplish before series' end. I think of the style as Grimdark, though, in my current job I do have to limit my nastiness.

Happy to answer any questions you might have (that aren't spoilers!),

Allan

• Like Like x 5
  10. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

Oh well, in for a penny . . .
    I had been thinking about giving up writing altogether, once I realised I needed either A) the sort of luck that leads to an agent , or B) to spend far more time on marketing (and self promotion in whatever forms I could bring myself to use) than I spent on all my hobbies put together (and writing only comes second!)
    Plus having a fundamental disagreement with my co-author . . . .

Then I found this thread . . .
    Oh well, 'Once more into the breach dear friends, once more, and close the wall up with our paragraphs d(r)ead.'
    Or something like that.
    I (that is, we) have four books set on Nuome (plus Graham has written some Roman stuff on his own). A suitable starting point would be Shades of Smoke
    Pause . . . Sorry, I tried inserting an image but it came up enormous! Never mind, its in my signature below, linked to our website and thence to Amazon or Smashwords. Sorry, it is currently electronic only.
    Details? Well, there are some reviews here (not written by friends) but basically it is a sort of mixed genre - crime, and a coming-of-age story in a world with magic - but not the 'wands and spells' magic of Harry Potter, this is a structured form of magic-with-rules. So much so that one of the chief protagonists in one of our other books would get angry at the word 'magic', and insist on calling it science. He's wrong, but that's his problem.
    As for style . . . I was aiming for something pretty light - not quite YA, but definitely not Grimdark, though there is a certain amount of violence (and a very small amount of sex).
    Go for it if you are interested. Reviews would be appreciated. Contact with an agent would be appreciated even more.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Olli Tooley

Olli Tooley Philosophizes with Kellhus

I like this idea, of course. I definitely suffer from modesty. Only others may judge if it is false or not.
    I have two series out but only one is remotely fantasy. The other is time travel and written for early readers and middle grade.
    My fantasy series began last year with "Children of the Wise Oak" and I am attempting to crowdfund the sequel right now.
    The Wise Oak series are historically grounded stories with fantasy elements, suitable for tweens upwards.
    Set in the 1st Century BCE it looks at history from the POV of the Celts.
    The fact that a very small number of people have magical powers, and there are dragons is never permitted to change the course of history itself.

"Children of the Wise Oak" begins with three young brothers in a 'coming of age' story, in which they visit Rome, guided by Gwenn, a warrior/mage.
    There is a prophecy but to avoid cliches, the prophecy might be a load of twaddle. :D
    It is available on Amazon Kindle and Paperback, and can also be ordered in any bookshop in the UK

http://myBook.to/CotWO Kindle
    CotWO-Cover-200.jpg
    http://mybook.to/CotWO-pb Paperback

"Women of the Wise Oak" will only be published if the crowdfunder hits target.
    I hesitate to include the full details and link, in case this is considered to be a step too far in self promotion.
    The story focuses, mainly, on Gwenn and her attempts to spy on a young Gaius Julius Caesar.
    Her character blossomed and even I was a bit surprised to find out she is a lesbian. :woot:

• Like Like x 3
  12. ABatch

ABatch Killed a Sandworm

I must say, I have been showered (but not, thank God, in the Trumpian sense) with love here at BFB and received a number of reviews from forum regulars. Believe it or not, though, they're a small percentage of members who've actually read my stuff. And so...I'm gonna beg, grovel, etc. for a few more reviews. They only take a minute or two on Amazon or Goodreads, and studies have shown reviews are far more impactful than advertising or social media when it comes to attracting and converting new fans! If you really want to do me -- and/or any BFB author -- a favor, write a quick review. Doesn't have to be wordy. And I'll be forever indebted to you, and isn't THAT awesome???

• Like Like x 3
  13. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I've neglected this long enough, so due credit to our benevolent @Silvion Night and the BFB community as a whole for facilitating plugs for our respective works. Mine is as follows.

[​IMG]

The reign of the Gods of Anaimon is sundered abruptly, when Propagatoris, ruler of Anaimon’s divine pantheon, casts himself into the twin suns of the world, obliterating him from existence and triggering a cataclysm that tears apart the Gods’ star-lit ethereal home. Their divine forms broken and ruined during the sudden, violent descent, the Gods fall and smash into the great cities of Cpharan and Cphesus, killing thousands, almost destroying with them their most beloved priestess, Burning Flower.

Amidst the desolation and chaos, the Gods utter a final pulse of communication, telling Burning Flower with their dying breath that Anaimon is but one world, and that other cycles of Anaimon exist beyond even the Gods’ reckoning. If Burning Flower can find the three sigils that lead the way through these worlds to ‘Horizon’, she may be able to restore Anaimon and the Gods, and undo the great calamity that has occurred.

Burning Flower is not alone in her search for the sigils, as a bestial enemy breaks free of their borders and begin to march across Anaimon; ravenous nightmares and misshapen hordes come to destroy all that Burning Flower and the Orders have fought for. Amidst such turmoil, the human enemies of the Order find new resolve; the nomadic, scattered tribes of the Iera who have been persecuted for their animistic beliefs and customs; the Aletheians, apostate criminals, smugglers, and exiles who value free will and their ‘ultimate truth’ above all else; and the Syndicals, rebellious heretics who have devolved into a broken people concerned only with survival in the bleak, barren emptiness of the world.

These factions and forces surge and swell even as the Orders slowly fray and tear themselves apart in the wake of the Gods’ death. Pursued relentlessly by friend and foe across their slowly dying world, Burning Flower and those survivors willing to restore Anaimon must journey across the lands in search of the sigils, to find their way to ‘Horizon’, and the enigmatic power that lay beyond.

I've a Blog here that has some background info, maps, character art, and other bits and pieces. I also had a hell of a lot of fun with a shoe-string budget book trailer that's on Youtube.
    Silvion's generous review is here, balanced by my Goodreads which aren't all generous - the axiom of one's inability to please all ringing ever so true. Like Alan, I'm looking for some more reviews and appraisals and hoping to spread the word, so I've 3 copies in Paperback, and 3 E-books (Kindle) to giveaway to any forum regulars interested in exploring my work - first in and all that when it comes to freebies. Just don't live in an isolated middle-of-nowhere island nation that will cost me hundreds in shipping to you, please? ;)
    If you want to financially support my hobby, it's available on Amazon, Book Depository, etc. Much appreciated again for the opportunity :)

• Like Like x 3