The Store

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
At the Top

upload_2016-1-5_16-16-54.png

You can see there is a store button. Click that.

What do you think of the what you can "purchase"

Also, how much do you think they should be worth?

sopranosfan

Journeyed there and back again
It reminds me of cable. I now have to pay to do what I used to be able to do for free.

Last edited:

Jon Snow

Staff member
It reminds me of cable. I now have to pay to do what I used to could do for free.
Some of them will be free. @btkong thinks everything should be paid for...

Some of things available for purchase will be amazon vouchers, steam games and other digital goodness that we can get our hands on.

sopranosfan

I don't see why I have to pay to get my books in my signature. We have been doing that since I got here. I think it is really handy to get advice on books that way.

Even listing books in the signature now costs? Keeping track of what everybody is reading is one of m favorite parts. It allows me to easily compare books and know who has read a book I may be thinking of buying. If this is where credits are going, I respectfully vote to just get rid of them.

Last edited:

Jon Snow

Staff member
I don't see why I have to pay to get my books in my signature. We have been doing that since I got here.
Yup. Voice any concerns you have. @btkong will view it. I think he's getting over excited ;)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with sopranosfan ... getting rid of the ability to do what can be done already then making us work to get that functionality back, seems kinda backward to me.

If I'm honest I don't think the credits function should relate to the functionality of the forum at all, rather things like entry into dedicated forum prize draws, badges to stick in your profile page. I'm sure I can think of more but I've literally just woken up ..

btkong

Staff member
All the stuff is just temporary here guys while we try and get this thing working proper. Whatever the case is, we wont' be reducing the current member's abilities to do stuff with their profiles and do on. If we do have credit purchase packs, it will apply to new members who just join. Also note, non of this stuff has been applied to any member yet or anything either. We are just testing this out with some test accounts to see if it's working (and it's not)

Additionally, all of you existing members who had points will end up with a bit of a booster starter point pack.

The goal here is to make it fun, not to punish members who have been around. There will be a decent amount of NON permission stuff (like amazon coupons, steam game coupons, ability to buy mod power, ability to make your post sticky for a temp period of time, etc). We are just playing around with the stuff.

So these products are just alpha and only for our testing and not the state of things.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I agree with Tom and sopranosfan. I wouldn't like to have to buy back any existing functionality. Chief of these being the signature function, which me and other members use a lot to browse for new books.

Also, I'd much rather see the store being used to purchase extra perks, such as the aforementioned badges, a custom sub-avatar name (for example, Tom has 'The Master Tweeter'. Sneaky has 'Crazy Cat Lady'. It'd be fun to be able to get your own custom name for your credits).

Above all I like the idea of having an inventory for each user. I've seen this on some other forums. Items can be bought for credits by forum users and placed in their inventory. Some items may be not for sale, but are instead gifted by staff or Ben/Jon. For example, each staff member is gifted with an item called 'The Ban Hammer' (+5 respect, +2 authority, -2 humour). Items can be given funky fantasy names. How cool would it be to be able to buy a wizard hat called 'The Sorting Hat' (and give it stats while you're at it. +2 magicka, -1 coolness. And a fun description). Or what about the One Ring? Or Logen's Axe!?

Hmm, maybe I'm getting a bit carried away here. It'd would be fun to have this though.

TL;DR:

1. I don't like the idea of using credits to purchase already existing forum functionality (especially not when it involves our signature).
2. I do like the idea of using credits to purchase additional fun stuff, such as badges (thanks Tom), custom sub-avatar names, and fantasy items for our inventory.

btkong

Staff member
Good ideas guys. For sure we won't be limiting existing functionality. Likely most of the existing products on the store will be canned -- they are just up there so we can test the functionality of this store.

Here's some of the ideas I'm thinking about putting on the store.

1) Amazon Gift Coupons
2) Steam Game Coupons
3) Kindle Prize
4) Special Badges
5) Custom Titles
6) Ability to Change Your User Name
7) Ability to Add Links (this is by default automatically enforced for new members anyways so they don't spam)
8) Ability to 'buy' a sticky post for a temporary duration
9) Ability to 'buy' mod powers -- either temporary or permanent

And the following are catered to the authors on the board (more than a few members who join are authors are trying to become writers):

10) Ability to buy DO FOLLOW links on your posts and signatures (normal users won't care at all about this, but marketers/authors probably will)
11) Ability to 'buy' a spot on the newsletter to promote your book
12) Ability to 'buy' some ad banner advertising on the blog by trading in credits
13) Ability to 'buy' a book review from the staff by trading in credits

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ability to 'buy' mod powers
Be careful with this one .. Can you imagine if @Sparrow became a Mod :eek::nailbiting: (I jest :happy:)

Seriously though, all of those are good ideas, especially those that might attract more self-published authors to the site to actually, you know, integrate, rather than just tirelessly self-promote.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
9) Ability to 'buy' mod powers -- either temporary or permanent
This could potentially end up bad with people doing whatever they 'think' is right, and then somebody would have to come and clean up the mess. Moderators imo, should always be appointed by administrator based on his judgment.
For sure we won't be limiting existing functionality.
This is great to hear. We do love our signatures :D I even made a tutorial on how to do it. http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/bfb-image-signature-using-goodreads.2394/

I like custom titles, name change, special badges, etc. Things that can be seen on the forum. I'm slightly worried about ability to buy things online like books and games. I mean if word gets around that you can buy real world stuff with fake internet points we are going to have a flood of new members, and I'm just worried if then this will be financially plausible.

Some forums also have VIP section, which you can enter either by having enough posts or buying access with credits. Otherwise it's hidden. Not sure what can we have in that VIP subforum, I would need to think on it more.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some forums also have VIP section
I like this idea .. like an invitation only online Soho Gentleman's Club (obviously without the sex restrictions :)) ... Certain 'things to buy' could only be available here too .. maybe ... OOH the possibilities !!!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Not sure what can we have in that VIP subforum, I would need to think on it more.
Adult content maybe? :oldman:

By the way, @TomTB and @Alucard, I see you both quoting Ben, but I can't read his post. Hmm, do I need to buy an upgrade for that in the Store? :p

Sparrow

Be careful with this one .. Can you imagine if @Sparrow became a Mod :eek::nailbiting: (I jest :happy:)

Ohhhhhhhh, if it were to be true.;)
I would rule with a velvet glove... subtly changing posts so that when a person logged back in they'd scratch their head... 'did I write that, I don't remember writing that'.
I would change Alucard's avatar to a Hello Kitty pic.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
:hilarious: We'll see old man
By the way, @TomTB and @Alucard, I see you both quating Ben, but I can't read his post. Hmm, do I need to buy an upgrade for that in the Store?
They are hidden from public. I see the posts awaiting moderation, but I didnt wanna touch them, cos maybe Ben wants them hidden.
I would change Alucard's avatar to a Hello Kitty pic.
I believe this is true 100%.

I was also thinking there might be an increase activity in spamming, providing opening new topics gives a decent amount of credits.

Anti_Quated

Additional content like sneak peeks and early previews of upcoming releases if you've got sufficient clout or goodwill from established authors might be a worthwhile product?

Or if one were sufficiently trusting, someone with commensurate credits could buy the option to dot he interview with a fantasy author for an upcoming release, thus fulfilling both the forum engagement factor and compelling the die-hards to pursue fandom even more fervently. I for one would appreciate picking a few brains here and there, and if credits were required to do so in an official capacity what better way to motivate the less frequent posters?

btkong

Staff member
Additional content like sneak peeks and early previews of upcoming releases if you've got sufficient clout or goodwill from established authors might be a worthwhile product?
This is an excellent idea. It would require hitting up some of the authors to see what could be done.

Part of the reason for the credit system is to:

1) entice new members to post more and become regular posters
2) reward the frequent posters with some cool stuff. I mean, what other forum gives out gift coupons and steam games for talking about fantasy?
3) entice some of the clueless new authors to actually become regular members, not create sock puppet accounts to promote their new book. Having some 'official' outlet where authors who post a lot here, over time, can use that to help promote their own works via a review, free advertising, DO FOLLOW links, ability to post more signature links, and whatnot may help cut down on the spam.

Anti_Quated

Oh. Free Advertising, follow links, promotional tools? Why Sir, if I were a southern belle on a plantation I'd be swooning, blushing, and fanning my face simultaneously.
But I'm ruinously ugly so you're spared that mental picture (unless.... ;))

btkong

Staff member
We are still sorting the store stuff -- I'm a bit busy trying to get the science fiction blog finalized, so I haven't finished setting up the store and testing it out.

All the permissions will be ENHANCEMENTS over what you guys have already. So we'll keep everything as is currently.

I'll play around with stuff for people who JUST join. 5 Posts before you can edit your signature (as it is now), 10 posts before you can post a link in it, 20 before 2 links, 30 before 3 links, 50 for unlimited -- something like this.

For the store purchases, we'll offer extra stuff.

For example, the ability to trade your credits in for bigger upload limits on your avatars, to buy a user name change, the ability to buy the customize of your user titles, custom badges, increased number of allowed usertagging in a thread, more conversation recipients, etc.

All this stuff is MORE than you guys have now.

Then there's some other cool things -- the ability to trade in for amazon coupons, steam game coupons, buy temp mod powers -- within reason, you won't be able to buy a mod power then cause havoc), the ability to buy a temp sticky on your post, ability to buy DO follow for any links you post (for SEO reasons), ability to buy a review by yours truly, blog advertising, and so on.

So should be pretty interesting. We'll see what happens anyways.

wakarimasen

I'm filled with equal parts greed and dread.

I'm sure it'll all be fine though. Change is good. Change is our friend.

If we're going to have virtual members club, resplendent in velour wallpaper and oak panelling, then I'm going to have to start using my computer in a smoking jacket.
:pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus::pompus: