The travel thread

Nuomer1

Journeyed there and back again
Neither I'm afraid. I'm from a surrealistic place called Belgium (commonly mistaken for Brussels). I'm got bachelor of education at Artevelde College in Ghent (history and geography), and mastered in political sciences which I just finished.
No problems with Belgium - in fact if I were still of an age to worry about such things, I would be looking at your universities myself. Last I heard it was possible to find quite a few courses taught in English for less money than UK fees. Our government (successive governments, of all varieties) are quite remarkably short-sighted (and thick!)

Griffin

Last I heard it was possible to find quite a few courses taught in English for less money than UK fees
Quite true, although I won't vouch for the quality of our English-speaking professors. As for the fees, it's indeed peanuts in comparison with the UK (next year it will be about €800-850, up €200 as an austerity measure, although people with low-income have to pay way less).

Nuomer1

Quite true, although I won't vouch for the quality of our English-speaking professors. As for the fees, it's indeed peanuts in comparison with the UK (next year it will be about €800-850, up €200 as an austerity measure, although people with low-income have to pay way less).
Yes . . . I used to tutor for Open University, and occasionally do an odd day standing around in a shopping mall trying to raise public awareness (almost 'sales', but it was in a professional environment, and I was principally a tutor)
When OU fees went up by a factor of three or four, and at the same time I became aware of the continental universities tutoring in English I stood down from that aspect of OU work. A year later I retired entirely. OU is still the best offer in UK, but they don't offer good value - its just that unless you need something special/unusual, most of the UK alternatives are worse! I didn't call that a proper professional environment, and since I could afford to retire, I did.

Griffin

I think we could probably agree that governments are making a huge mistake. Human capital is the only resource we have left in Europe. We should invest in that.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Though I show you a bit of B&H. Been to these places in May this year. I'm not a good photographer so forgive me for that. I snap a few pics here and there, but my finger ends up on my iphone camera sometimes. Sorry! :D Going back to the waterfalls this month, for some swimming. I've linked all of the locations to english wiki if you wanna know more.

Blagaj

Počitelj

Waterfall Kravice

Prenj mountain

Jajce fortress
And because I didnt really snap a good outside picture, here's the fortress from the outside

And this is what the city of Jajce looks like with its famous waterfalls.

Alucard

Staff member
part two because this forum only lets you post 20 img

These are water mills on the river Pliva near Jajce and Plivska lake. They used to mill grains to get flour in the old days there. Now it's just an awesome picnic spot.

And in the end of course my cat who likes to sleep on suitcases and who had to stay with my mum for 3 days while I went galavanting around these places. He went on a 3 day hunger strike to show me what he thought about that.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a photo I took of Mrs TTB and Baby TTB on our recent holiday to Cornwall ... It's probably the best photo I've ever taken ... they're normally out of focus with my fat finger over the lens! :)
ps. that was taken at Tintagel Castle, where King Arthur used to live .. apparently :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Looks amazing @Alucard and @TomTB .

Seeing pics like that make me want to grab my suitcase and fly away.

Alucard

Staff member
I always wanted to visit UK and Ireland and hopefully someday I will. That's a great pic @TomTB
@Silvion Night show us some Netherland photos, I'm sure you guys have lots of amazing places. It could be from a while back, doesn't matter.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I always wanted to visit UK and Ireland and hopefully someday I will. That's a great pic @TomTB
@Silvion Night show us some Netherland photos, I'm sure you guys have lots of amazing places. It could be from a while back, doesn't matter.
I can show you some pictures of my home town. Well, home town... it only has 1800 inhabitants, so I guess the term 'village' better applies.

My home town is Marken. It's a small village, just a stone's throw from Amsterdam (about 20 km distance). It's a very old village, which has its roots in the 13th century. Marken is a former island (attached to the mainland by a levy which was finished in 1958). Marken resides in the big inland lake called 'Markermeer'. This was formerly a sea, but in 1932 it was closed of by a levy. Before the lake was closed off the tides had a big influence on Marken. It was largely isolated from the communities on the mainland. Because of that, the village retained its old characteristics. Several times a year, when the tides were high, Marken flooded. For this reason the houses were built on artificial knolls, called "terpen" in Dutch or "werven" in the local dialect. After the knolls got cluttered up with houses people started building their residences on big poles that were hammered into the ground. These characteristics (little wooden houses on artificial knolls and the houses built on poles) can still be seen throughout my home town.

In the 13th century Marken was first cultivated by Frisian monks. After about 100 years they left, but the village which had grown around the monastery remained. The locals became fishermen, which they remained until the Markermeer was closed of in 1932. Nowadays most people work in Amsterdam (like me) in various sectors. Most of our grandfathers were fishermen though. The sea, fishing, seafaring etc are still well respected on Marken. Most of the surnames of the inhabitants have to do with these nautical things. For example, my wife's last name is "Commandeur", which is a Dutch navy rank similar to "Commodore" in English. My best friend's last name is "Visser", which means "Fisherman". So you see, the Marker history still reverberates in our village society today.

So, that was a free history lesson on Marken (being a History mayor by education I just couldn't help myself). Please find some pictures of my picturesque village below.

And my house:

Griffin

Very nice pictures @Alucard and@TomTB. Also, what a lovely home and village @Silvion Night!

I'll post some pics from my weekend in Antwerpen (it has the third biggest port of Europe).

City Hall

Het Steen

Museum Aan De Stroom

The view from on top of the Museum Aan de Stroom

The Museum of Modern Arts (exhibition of Panamarenko, famous Belgian artist)

The Museum of Photography - really liked this museum (don't mind the girlfriend

And the house of Peter Paul Rubens - please excuse the quality of the photograph

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
@Silvion Night
very picturesque village! And you have a very nice house. One question, does it get cold in these wooden houses?
Thanks! Well, in the old days it was indeed pretty cold. Nowadays the houses have all been renovated and they're very well insulated.

Jakyro

Here's a photo I took of Mrs TTB and Baby TTB on our recent holiday to Cornwall ... It's probably the best photo I've ever taken ... they're normally out of focus with my fat finger over the lens! :)
nice pic
I've been to Cornwall the year my girlfriend lived in the UK (must have been May or June 2014). Really nice region to visit. We also had a lot of luck with the weather at the time ;)

Last edited:

Amaryllis

Temporarily left Washington and am currently in Zagreb, Croatia. Why, you ask? Why not? I reply deftly. Maybe I get some perverse thrill out of having people speak to me in Croatian because they assume I'm Croatian, only to have me gaze like a retard and not understand much of anything (I am, however, a beast at saying 'I don't understand Croatian' in Croatian). Honestly, it seems like a fun language, and I like the sound of it. I'd give a real shot at learning it if I had time to dedicate obsessively to it. But I'd be back in the states before I made much progress anyway.

Will be heading to Bosnia at some point in the next few weeks. That was originally where I was planning to go, but jesus are flights there ever expensive.