The travel thread

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
Anchorage. Second time, we had a family cruise there a few years ago. It was a lot less cold than I expected at the time (had cliched expectations of snowstorms and abomonible snowmen), but it was summer after all, haha.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
I've been living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for 2 years now, and it is a very nice place.

Having an English history, you could describe it as "Asia light", as you will be able to go to most places and make yourself understood if you speak English (at least in the capital, in the countryside it can be a little bit more difficult).

So I just traveled to Vienna, Austria, which is my hometown, for the holidays.
As usual, when you spend time with your family, you don't get to see so many sights, but we went to the nearby mountains for a bit of hiking a few times, and I could introduce my kids to some of the sights of Vienna.

Best regards,
Andy

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Anchorage. Second time, we had a family cruise there a few years ago. It was a lot less cold than I expected at the time (had cliched expectations of snowstorms and abomonible snowmen), but it was summer after all, haha.
I had a friend in grad school from Alaska. He never had a snow day in all his years of schooling there (or in New York when he was at West Point) until he came to get his master's degree at Georgia Tech. (Granted, that's not because they don't have snow in Alaska -- it's because they know how to drive in it and the municipalities have the appropriate equipment for road clearing.)

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I had a friend in grad school from Alaska. He never had a snow day in all his years of schooling there (or in New York when he was at West Point) until he came to get his master's degree at Georgia Tech. (Granted, that's not because they don't have snow in Alaska -- it's because they know how to drive in it and the municipalities have the appropriate equipment for road clearing.)
I love snow, but certainly fall in the camp of those who prefer not to drive in it :)

Any possible recommendations for tourists who would like to visit?
Hopefully you aren't asking me! I am an Alaska newbie. But I will say the cruise we took through there was great. We did some kayaking, went on a zipline through one of the forrests, and saw a glacier. If you have a chance to try those things, you should!

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
I'm going to be traveling to South Dakota to go camping for a week in a few days. Nothing fancy or anything and I've been there before. It's just going to be really nice to have an extended period of time away from everything in Indiana.

Buuut!
Possibly this winter or next year, depending on what is eventually chosen, I plan to travel to somewhere in the Caribbean or New Zealand. :D:D
Or London for New Years. Also a possibility. The firework show is badass.

I've had my passport for two years now and I wanna use it!

Sparrow

I'm going to be traveling to South Dakota to go camping for a week in a few days. Nothing fancy or anything and I've been there before. It's just going to be really nice to have an extended period of time away from everything in Indiana.

Buuut!
Possibly this winter or next year, depending on what is eventually chosen, I plan to travel to somewhere in the Caribbean or New Zealand. :D:D
Or London for New Years. Also a possibility. The firework show is badass.

I've had my passport for two years now and I wanna use it!

London is great for New Years... but Edinburgh is even better, more intimate... but the food sucks.:)

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
but Edinburgh is even better
Hm..I'd have never even considered that.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and why does the food suck?

Sparrow

Hm..I'd have never even considered that.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, and why does the food suck?

When one of the national dishes is 'porridge', and another is 'kippers'... you can expect it only goes down hill from there.
The food is horribly bland in Scotland.:)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
My fiancee and I decided to go to America for 3 weeks after our wedding :) We are very excited.
We honeymooned in America. When are you getting married? If September October time I'd highly recommend New England; it was beautiful and such a fantastic experience.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Thanks @Griffin

3 days in San Fran, 3 days in LA, 3 in Las Vegas, 9 in NY and 2 in Texas (why texas? because I want to). That's it! We are going start of April next year.

Griffin

2 in Texas (why texas? because I want to)
And right you are. I hardly think the southern westcoast (throwing Las Vegas in with this bunch) and the northern eastcoast are the only places worth visiting in the USA ;)
Anyway, hope it's the trip of your life!

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
if we had the time we would go everywhere! but we don't have the time or the money :(

Here is an idea! We should start a bfb backpacking group haha. You supply the couches/spare beds and I'll get extra time off!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
if we had the time we would go everywhere! but we don't have the time or the money :(

Here is an idea! We should start a bfb backpacking group haha. You supply the couches/spare beds and I'll get extra time off!
It could be called airbfb. :)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Hah! Deal! I've got an old Dutch sleeping closet (I don't think there's a translation for it. We call it "bedstee"). You and your husband-to-be are more than welcome to crash for a day or two if the need ever arises. I ask only 1 thing in return: a home-cooked meal.