The travel thread

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I can cook anything right? Like put a few frozen pies in the oven for the true aussie experience?
We talking bout one of them meat pies? :hungry:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Done! I love meat pies, but they're not available here in The Netherlands. Whenever I visit NZ or the UK I stuff myself with those suckers every day.

Sparrow

Journeyed there and back again
My fiancee and I decided to go to America for 3 weeks after our wedding :) We are very excited.

3 days in San Fran, 3 days in LA, 3 in Las Vegas, 9 in NY and 2 in Texas (why texas? because I want to). That's it! We are going start of April next year.

No-no-no... thankfully you have plenty of time to reconsider some of those destinations...
San Francisco... is awesome, my brother lived there for years and though I dislike him, I loved visiting because SF is a wonderful place to get lost in.
Los Angeles... I lived in Southern California for most of my life and in that time I avoided LA like the plague. Traffic is insane, and surprisingly not much to do there.
Las Vegas... is cheesy, cheap, and meant for asian tourists and Americans with no class.
Texas... is hot, spread out, flat, populated by assholes, and the only reason for being there is it's between you and a place worth visiting.
New York... is New York, everyone should visit NY at least once in their life.

Places you really ought to add to your vacation plans...
Washington DC... the Smithsonian, Air & Space Museum, Ford's Theatre, and it's close by NY and Boston so might as well go.
Key West... it's touristy but still very pleasant, and close enough to Orlando... so you can go to Disney World and Universal Studios!:)
Savannah and Charleston... very Southern, lots to do including nature hikes, visiting historical plantations, etc. True southern hospitality... everyone owns guns, but we don't shoot the tourists.:)

Last edited:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
No-no-no... thankfully you have plenty of time to reconsider some of those destinations...
San Francisco... is awesome, my brother lived there for years and though I dislike him, I loved visiting because SF is a wonderful place to get lost in.
Los Angeles... I lived in Southern California for most of my life and in that time I avoided LA like the plague. Traffic is insane, and surprisingly not much to do there.
Las Vegas... is cheesy, cheap, and meant for asian tourists and Americans with no class.
Texas... is hot, spread out, flat, populated by assholes, and the only reason for being there is it's between you and a place worth visiting.
New York... is New York, everyone should visit NY at least once in their life.

Places you really ought to add to your vacation plans...
Washington DC... the Smithsonian, Air & Space Museum, Ford's Theatre, and it's close by NY and Boston so might as well go.
Key West... it's touristy but still very pleasant, and close enough to Orlando... so you can go to Disney World and Universal Studios!:)
Savannah and Charleston... very Southern, lots to do including nature hikes, visiting historical plantations, etc. True southern hospitality... everyone owns guns, but we don't shoot the tourists.:)
Haha as you can see we are in LA and LV for 3 nights, not much time in either places, but enough to see universal studios and the Grand Canyon. Charleston sounds cool though!! I'll go google that! Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparrow

Haha as you can see we are in LA and LV for 3 nights, not much time in either places, but enough to see universal studios and the Grand Canyon. Charleston sounds cool though!! I'll go google that! Thanks.
If you decide to make a stop in Charleston, be sure to visit Magnolia Plantation and Gardens... it's hauntingly beautiful, historical, and there's a swamp you can walk around with real live alligators... and just a raised bank footpath between you and the gators. There is no fence.
http://www.magnoliaplantation.com

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Omg are you fucking for real??? I've watched swamp people why the duck would I do that??? Our crocodiles jump metres in the air, there is no way I'd go anywhere near 'just a raised bank

Sparrow

Apparently alligators are afraid of just about nothing, except an embankment of dirt... they can't climb up it. Plus, they're well fed and don't need to eat the tourists.:)

Sparrow

Wowza, that's just bizzare
America is very regional, I'd suggest you guys visit one place in each region to really get the lay of the land.

Here's a video taken at Magnolia Plantation by a visitor, you'll have an idea just how up-close-and-personal nature is on some of the nature walks...

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
One place in each region? How many regions would that be and how much time would I need in each? I'm not made it money :(

Sparrow

One place in each region? How many regions would that be and how much time would I need in each? I'm not made it money :(
Don't worry about that... you've already chosen places that cover most of the regions. I mentioned Charleston because you were missing a place in the Deep South.
This is a good article on vacationing, best places to go according to visitors... http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/best_usa_vacations/

You'll be glad to know most of the destinations you've already decided on are on the list; San Francisco, New York, Grand Canyon... Charleston is also high up on the list in the above mentioned article. I should also say, both listed in the article and a personal favorite of mine, is New Orleans! New Orleans is so much more fun and interesting than anywhere you'd want to go in Texas. Nowhere in Texas makes the top 20 list, that is no mere coincidence.:) Seriously, my best friend was born in Fort Worth and grew up in Texas (now lives in California), so I've been to Texas a handful of times in my life. There's no place that I've been in Texas that I would even put in the top 100 places to visit in the USA, much less the top 20. To tell you the truth, I would rather get a root canal then spend anymore time in Texas.;)