The Value of signed books !!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Originally posted this on another thread, but thought I would bring it up here instead. I was in my local bookshop today and when I got inside Peter Brett was there signing his new book.

Now I haven't read any of his other books so didn't spend £15 on his new one, but are signed books more valuable than standard ones? Do people go out of their way to get books signed?

It doesn't bother me either way if truth be told, just wondered if it was important to anyone?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
yea they are worth more. How much more depends on how famous and how many copies are signed really. Wonder how it rocked up in your book store. I hear when Brandon Sanderson travels he randomly walks into book shops and signs his own books (so awesome).

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
yea they are worth more. How much more depends on how famous and how many copies are signed really. Wonder how it rocked up in your book store. I hear when Brandon Sanderson travels he randomly walks into book shops and signs his own books (so awesome).
Yeah, as far as I can tell, it's been coined "Brandalizing".

I highly doubt the Daylight War will gain any more value than the paper it's written on.
I would love a signed copy of the Painted man though.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I've always been, "meh," about signed copies. To me it's more about the experience of actually meeting the author you love in person rather then a signature and/or value of a book.

Though I must admit, Laurentius, that if this Brandalizing thing you are talking about is true; then I must admit that I'm both astonished and amazed at the same time. My mind would truly be blown with joy if that happened to me. Least to say, I have a newfound respect for Sanderson and any author that does that.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Well, you could always buy the "Daylight War" but then ask him to also sign "The Painted Man" for you.

I'm a bit ambivalent on the issue ... sure, it would be great to meet the author and have the book signed, but I read exclusively on my Kindle nowadays, hard to sign that...

Best regards,
Andy

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Feel the same as blitz, don't vare for the "value" of the book. I get my books signed more because of the experience. Got to meet Abercrombie on his red country tour, he was very cool. Took time to talk to everyone and everyone also got like a good 10-15 min conversation with him. the queue wasn't that long but still very nice experience. Would flip my shiet if Sanderson or Rothfuss ever came to Sweden. Sweden needs to be Brandalized!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Yeah, I wonder if book signatures would one day just devalue the book like they do in comics (unless validated).

I think I would agree that getting the signature/meeting the author is the purpose.

However when I bought Prince of Thorns, it had Mark Lawrence's signature already there, so that was a cool surprise, but I don't think I'd ever pay more for a copy just because there was a signature.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I recently bought some books from Subterranean press, they were obscenely expensive altogether and even more expensive to get here in Belgium (Customs does shit here you wouldn't believe 30,37 euros or something as per the 6percent import tax, but then they double that for 'Formalities')
Anyway, I don't really care for the signatures, I just want to have those awesome dustjackets and the leather hardcovers, so paying so much for something i don't really care about is kinda dumb
but I do supposed that if I ever tire of looking at them I can sell them for a nice profit.
I get that people might pay more for signatures but I'm more for how the books look.

Sucks that you can't really get them without the signature.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Anyway, I don't really care for the signatures, I just want to have those awesome dustjackets and the leather hardcovers,

That's why my bookshelf is so sexy ^_^

Riposte

If there is a writer I hold in the highest regard, I usually try to get at least one book signed by them.

I recently bought some books from Subterranean press

I splurge on their books occasionally, too. I just can't help myself. What did you order?

Lev Daert

If there is a writer I hold in the highest regard, I usually try to get at least one book signed by them.

I splurge on their books occasionally, too. I just can't help myself. What did you order?
I ordered and received:

TUM TUM TUM TUUUUUUM

-The Heroes (limited edition) which looks really nice, reading it now, and have to say, the depicted scenes (so far) are really cool
-The Steel remains (lettered edition)
-The Cold Commands (Lettered edition), both are letter X, which means that if I could order the last book when it comes out I'll have a XXX:p
the lettered editions are really nice, and the Leather covers... RRRRRRR:p
I'll be honest I bought them on the merit of their covers being absoluteley awesome.

I wish I could get some malazan editions, but with the first two being unavailable I don't think it's viable to purchase memories of ice, what with gardens and gates going for 800 dollars when somebody sells them (it's just a bit too much for me)

and What subterranean treasures are in your book shelves?

Riposte

I ordered and received:

TUM TUM TUM TUUUUUUM

-The Heroes (limited edition) which looks really nice, reading it now, and have to say, the depicted scenes (so far) are really cool
-The Steel remains (lettered edition)
-The Cold Commands (Lettered edition), both are letter X, which means that if I could order the last book when it comes out I'll have a XXX:p
the lettered editions are really nice, and the Leather covers... RRRRRRR:p
I'll be honest I bought them on the merit of their covers being absoluteley awesome.

I wish I could get some malazan editions, but with the first two being unavailable I don't think it's viable to purchase memories of ice, what with gardens and gates going for 800 dollars when somebody sells them (it's just a bit too much for me)

and What subterranean treasures are in your book shelves?
I just took a gander at those editions and they all look really nice! I haven't read any of those books yet, but Heroes is the next Abercrombie book on my pile.

I remember when Deadhouse Gates got released and I couldn't talk myself into forking over the cash. But those sample pictures on the site are incredible! The D'ivers and Coltane pictures, especially. I may have to take the leap when Midnight Tides is released since that is my other favorite Malazan book.

I also slept on the Ligotti reprints which is a bit foolish since those are all but guaranteed to go up in value, but I had most of those stories collected elsewhere (though they may still have Noctuary in stock, but not the signed edition).

I don't own any of their books that are over the top valuable (like the lettered editions) and tend to only buy stuff where Subterranean is the exclusive publisher and I can't get a cheap copy else where. So I've got The Dragon Griaule and Five Autobiographies by Lucius Shepard, The Janus Tree by Glen Hirshberg, Daniel Abraham's short story collection and a few Caitlin Kiernan short story collections as well as some other novellas and chapbooks.

Arya Stark

Where do you people live for authors to do book signings?!? No one ever comes to Florida :/ and when they do I always find out about it AFTER.

Arya Stark

Well that's cool! I'm not sure I care much for signature though. I just want to be a gushing fan girl! Thought about taking a trip to GRRMs movie theater he just purchased next summer once it's operational again. Might get a glimpse of the old man!

Arya Stark

^^grammar wise, that sentence was terrible. My apologies. I never proof read on my phone. Too much of a hassle. I'm sure you got what I meant though

sarumaniac

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I have a signed copy of White Wolf by David Gemmell which I consider special seems as he's no longer with us. Not really about the monetary value of the book for me.