The Witcher books

Yeser

Possibly a Darkfriend
I finished all the books yesterday.

It's a masterpiece that cannot be compared to any other book. Please stop thinking and buy the books. Some of the books have not been officially translated yet, so you can free download the high quality fan translations.

Cheers :)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I thought I put here the reading order along with the direct download links for fan translations (in both kindle format and epub) from dropbox. Amazon links for official translations for kindle version, and kobobooks links for Epubs. Hope you find it useful.

1. The Last Wish (Witcher #1) | Kindle|Epub |
  2. The Sword of Destiny (Witcher #2) |Kindle|Epub |
  3. Blood of Elves (Witcher #3) | Kindle|Epub |
  4. Time of Contempt (Witcher #4) | Kindle|Epub |
  5. Baptism of Fire (Witcher #5) | Kindle|Epub |
  6. Tower of the Swallows (Witcher #6) | Kindle|Epub| fan translation
  7. The Lady of the Lake (Witcher #7) | Kindle|Epub | fan translation

Last edited:

Alucard

Staff member
I have good news Witcher fans. The guy who did the fan translations for the Witcher books is back and is also translating new Sapkowski's book Sezon Burz (Season of Storms). He translated up to chapter 3 right now. His last update has been on 28/07. The guy has kids now and as he said his time is not his time anymore so this might take a while. I don't know how many chapters it has but judging by other Sapkowski's books and the fact that this one is 404 pages, I'd say no less than 10 no more than 13 chapters. Anyway, here are the links for chapter 1&2. You can follow the updates on CD project forum for more news.
Season of Storms events happen before the Witcher saga books, basically around the events of short stories, so you can think of it as Witcher prequel or Witcher #0 in the saga order.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2

Alucard

Staff member
Today I finished these amazing books. All 7 of them. It was epic, it was exciting and it was wonderful.

Sapkowski could teach Martin how to write political intrigue and plots, because I did not see that culmination and resolution in the last book coming.
There were epic battles with mass troupe movements, sometimes it was overwhelming. I needed a map.
There were these amazing characters aside from Geralt, who I couldn't help but love and cheer for. Dandelion is not one of them lol. That guy is out of his gourd most of the time anyway. Poets. Can't live with them, can't....nah let's just leave it at that.
Aside from all the usual epic fantasy characteristics this series has, it also has a strong social commentary regrading poverty, class divided society, effect of wars, and believe it or not it makes ecology a question too.

This is my favorite fantasy series by far now.

Alucard

Staff member
I replaced the links for fan translations for kindle with working links (mediafire). The dropbox links were generating too much heat so they are suspended for the time.
I'll get around replacing epub links as well later.

Alucard

Staff member
Good news Witcher fans! I was surfing the interwebs today, and I've came across the webpage of the guy who translated Baptism of Fire, and he's currently translating book 2. Sword of Destiny which is due according to him early in 2015.

Better late then never Gollancz!
http://www.davidfrench.pl/

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
Well. The opinions here certainly have pushed the Witcher books up my to-read list. However I thought I'd share this sub 140 char review one of my pals did on twitter which (to my shame) has also helped me think I might enjoy them:
haven't played the games but bought the books it's based on. Three pages in; he's already had sex, killed 3 guys & done magic.
to be fair, they sound like they have a touch more depth than that, but it made me chuckle.

Alucard

Staff member
to be fair, they sound like they have a touch more depth than that, but it made me chuckle.
Me too :) Main depth as you call it lays in the political intrigue even GRRM would be proud to write, and character development of Ciri. Which I always repeat is the protagonist of these books. There's a slight chance that if you buy these books solely for Geralt as a game fan you will be disappointed.

wakarimasen

Never played the games, so no danger of that. Haven't played any games seriously for years now...
Of course, as soon as I finish my machine that crowbars an extra day into the each week of the space time continuum then I'll be all over them.
If only I had the time to finish that machine.

tom.pace.315

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I'm almost halfway through the last wish and I'm loving it allready. These were books before they were games weren't they? So far though I don't even know who ciri is

Alucard

Staff member
I'm almost halfway through the last wish and I'm loving it allready. These were books before they were games weren't they? So far though I don't even know who ciri is
Yes. The Last Wish is from 1993. It's a republishing of the book called Witcher from 1990 I think, with 2 new stories added.
Don't worry about Ciri, just make sure you read Sword of Destiny next and it will be clear to you.
I'm glad you are enjoying the books :)

tom.pace.315

Yes. The Last Wish is from 1993. It's a republishing of the book called Witcher from 1990 I think, with 2 new stories added.
Don't worry about Ciri, just make sure you read Sword of Destiny next and it will be clear to you.
Thanks for the help!! I'll make sure I do

tom.pace.315

Alucard. ... I just finished Sword of Destiny. It was incredible! ! So grateful to you for recommending this series because it is way more than I ever thought it would be. I also picked up the game for xbox 360 which is pretty bad ass also. I have a question for you. How many witcher books are there in total and how many can be purchased in English? I just read something about a book that comes after Baptism of fire but I can't seem to buy it in English.

Alucard

Staff member
Alucard. ... I just finished Sword of Destiny. It was incredible! ! So grateful to you for recommending this series because it is way more than I ever thought it would be. I also picked up the game for xbox 360 which is pretty bad ass also. I have a question for you. How many witcher books are there in total and how many can be purchased in English? I just read something about a book that comes after Baptism of fire but I can't seem to buy it in English.
I'm glad you enjoyed them :) Now, Blood of Elves will make much more sense to you as the first novel. I too enjoyed Sword of Destiny more than The Last Wish.
There are 7 books in total. 3 aren't translated officially. Last two books and Sword of Destiny you can't buy YET. But you can download fan translations of them. Refer to one of my previous posts for download links.
Sword of Destiny will probably come out by Gollancz next year.
Tower of Swallows comes after Baptism of Fire, but no ETA on publishing date for that one. I don't even think it's being currently translated. Same for The Lady of the Lake as the last book.
Don't let that detour you from reading the book though. The fan translators did a great job.

Alucard

Staff member
Just found out the best thing all day! Season of Storms (the prequel to the Witcher series) has been translated to Serbian. I better hit the book store soon :D

No progress on English translation though back at CD Project Red forums.

Derk of Derkholm

You mean Watch..er books :)

Alucard

Staff member
Guys, I have the best news for you English speaking folks :D
Gollancz will publish Sword of Destiny, ie book 2 (which they've skipped before) on May 21st this year. They are making a deliberate decision to coincide with the new game. They even put up a book page on their site:
https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781473211551

Hooray for that!
But it gets better, they also acquired rights to the last two books which will be published in 2016 and 2017, making The Witcher Saga completely translated in English by the end of 2017.
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/gollancz-acquires-three-more-witcher-series

Now isn't that wonderful? Don't I deserve a cookie now? :D

Last edited: