Thinking of Writing a Fantasy Novel?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
But haven't started? What's preventing you?
Once I get past "It was a dark and stormy night" I'm out of material. That's why I'm so impressed that you actually wrote five books and completed a wonderful fantasy series. How long had you wanted to write a book? What got you started? And did you begin planning a series right away?

Cyphon

I am not a writer and never really necessarily wanted to be one but I do have ideas I would like to see come to life. So every once in a blue moon I will sit down and start writing something and then my interest just moves onto something else because I have the attention span of a goldfish. In an ideal world I could find a writer to do the heavy lifting if you will, while I took on the role of idea man/1 man focus group as the writing was happening.

ABatch

Once I get past "It was a dark and stormy night" I'm out of material. That's why I'm so impressed that you actually wrote five books and completed a wonderful fantasy series. How long had you wanted to write a book? What got you started? And did you begin planning a series right away?
I'd been writing short, satirical stuff for years. I'd also been playing RPGs for years and thought maybe I could tell as good a story as those my friends and I were playing. Well, it's harder than it looks -- as is so often the case. Especially that final chapter, as evidenced, once more, by the Rise of Skywalker. But, I have to say, I'm surprised by the apparent lack of interest in the series finale. That's life, I guess. On to the next project.

Maark Abbott

I already did, but the sequel is what's stymying me. Damn sieges are hard to write.

Olli Tooley

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Everybody can write, but most people are much better at doing other things.
Looking around at how very many "wannabe" authors there are, it seems the field is as flooded as it is in all the arts.
Hence the money being terrible for 99% of authors.
Many who do write and don't earn much are very good; which leads me to suggest that nobody should be encouraged to write if they are at all reluctant to start.

ABatch

Everybody can write, but most people are much better at doing other things.
Looking around at how very many "wannabe" authors there are, it seems the field is as flooded as it is in all the arts.
Hence the money being terrible for 99% of authors.
Many who do write and don't earn much are very good; which leads me to suggest that nobody should be encouraged to write if they are at all reluctant to start.
No, everyone should be tortured over an open fire until they're written the next War and Peace. Okay, maybe you're right.