This Thread Kills Fascists

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Music plays an important role in all of our lives. It's probably been a major facet of your lives at some point or another. Listening to music has been a constant for as long as I can remember.

I'd be very interested in discovering what music you all listen to. Artists/albums/songs you've loved in the past, continue to love now, and any new discoveries that you've been taken by. Definitely leave a link, if possible, so that we can all listen to a particular track. If you want to share playlists/mixtapes that you make, please feel free to post the youtube or download link.

I'll start off with a more recent band from Austin that I discovered in late 2007: "The Black Angels" with their album Passover. I was an instant fan. Felt a lot like Doors-tinged psychedelic rock.

I finally saw them live in Muenchen in 2009. Dark, subdued and brilliant.

I've always felt that the following tracks, especially The First Vietnamese War, would work very well as a soundtrack for scenes involving Lady Sharrow or Zakalwe.

Black Grease

The First Vietnamese War

Last edited:

ofer

Although I'm obviously still listening to music, most of it is from the time I grew up - say from the mid-80's to the mid-90's. Main names would be Oasis, Radiohead, Garbage, Pixies, REM, Blur, Nirvana, Joy Division, The Charlatans, Stone Roses, The The, Smiths, Nick Cave, etc.
Here is one of my favorites from that period:

The only band I picked during the recent years is Arctic Monkeys. Loved that clip:

The songs you picked are not half bad, though. You say Doors but I'm hearing a little bit of early Iggy Pop.

Hand of Fear

I don't really listen to a lot of music these days but when I was a teenager I listened to :

G n R
Aerosmith
Iron Maiden
Kiss
Megadeath
AC/DC

Now I listen to mainly the Foo Figthers or Kings of Leon. Going to see the FF is June next year !!

Sir Arthur

I always love 90s rock, heavy metal and classic rock, but over the years I've developed a taste for classical, and a wide range of music. I love music. I have a plane to catch in a couple hours, so I can't put much effort into this thread right now, but here are some of my favorite!

I'm a huge Enya fan. I like most Celtic music. Love violin and fiddle music.

This is a favorite of mine if I'm in the mood for something on the heavy side. Leaves' Eyes

I really like anything from Lindsey Stirling .

My favorite vocalist is by far Tarja Turunen. She's truly amazing! She use to front a metal band called Nightwish.

Boreas

Staff member
Oasis, Radiohead, Garbage, Pixies, REM, Blur, Nirvana, Joy Division, The Charlatans, Stone Roses, The The, Smiths, Nick Cave
I like them all, more or less, except for REM. The Charlatans, I'm not very familiar with outside of a few tracks. Joy Division and Pixies remain favourites. The Smiths I can only take in very small doses - Morrissey's voice has always annoyed me a little.

"I Wanna Be Adored" is a classic track on a great album, but I've always been partial to the closing number, "I Am the Resurrection". I have the first two Artic Monkeys albums and they're both great. Have you tried Alex Turner's other band, The Last Shadow Puppets? They put out just one album and you might find it interesting.
Favourite album and/or track?
I like most Celtic music.
One of my childhood favourites

One of the newer discoveries I made some years back

ofer

I like them all, more or less, except for REM.
REM became slightly boring after their big success. Always preferred their 1980's albums. Probably Green would be my favorite.
"I Wanna Be Adored" is a classic track on a great album, but I've always been partial to the closing number, "I Am the Resurrection".
I loved every song on that Album. If I had to take one album to Tom's Desert island, that would be it.
I have the first two Artic Monkeys albums and they're both great. Have you tried Alex Turner's other band, The Last Shadow Puppets? They put out just one album and you might find it interesting.
Thanks, will check it out.
Favourite album and/or track?
Don't know about HoF, but mine would be Appetite for Destruction and 3 or 4 tracks from Lies. After that, their music became less energetic. Appetite for Destruction had that chainsaw quality which said "I want to shoot you through the head and then write a song about it" ;)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Oh jeez I'm all over the place with my music. From British/Canadian punk and post punk bands, power pop, jazz bands and artists, Japanese pop and rock, New Wave in Yougoslavia, etc.
I need more time to set this up. I'll check in later.

Boreas

Staff member
Appetite for Destruction and 3 or 4 tracks from Lies
Same, but I still loved their Use Your Illusion I & II albums. Lies was great, but the only song I probably still really like listening to from that album is 'One in a Million'. Love the song, political correctness be damned. The song is pure rock 'n roll.

"I want to shoot you through the head and then write a song about it"
Lol, you mean like this (shit song and shit timing for a release):

Terry Reid is a fantastic and underappreciated artist. He would have been the singer of "Led Zeppelin" if he weren't busy touring at the time. Page wanted him, but Reid recommended Robert Plant instead, and the rest is history. Reid put out a number of excellent albums in the 70s, but he is most famous for his number 'Seed of Memory' off the Seed of Memory album. Instead of posting the album version of the song, I'll instead post the off-key way he plays it now in his old age in small clubs around the U.K.. I've always loved the song, but since I discovered this video on youtube, I'm beginning to prefer his off-key playing. The emotion is palpable. For me, a goose-bump giving performance. What a Legend.

I have always loved Americana music. Folk, bluegrass, blues, even some country and any combination of those with rock to gospel to whatever. One of the good musicians I've come across recently is John Fullbright. I bought his 2012 album From the Ground Up on the recommendation of a friend who told me to just go buy it ASAP, which I did, and without listening to any songs beforehand. It turned out to be one of the better albums I listened to in 2012, not the best, but definitely up there and a great debut. I love the sarcasm and veiled anger in the song. And I'm a sucker for songs steeped in religion, especially the Old Testament where all the action is. None of that newfangled feel good Jesus rock for me, thank you. I want fire and brimstone, with a large helping of moral conundrums (one of the many reasons I love Leonard Cohen). Stand out tracks from Fullbright's album for me were 'Gawd Above' and 'Satan and St. Paul'.

Last edited:

ofer

The song is pure rock 'n roll.
I have always loved Americana music. Folk, bluegrass, blues, even some country and any combination of those with rock to gospel to whatever.
You might like this one. Most people (well, those who's been around in the 80's) have heard of the band but not of this song. Lyrics and videoclip mocks advertising in that period and the tune is fast and catchy.

wakarimasen

I'm a child of the 80s but I hit adolescence in the 90s and it's fair to say I was a card carrying raver. Illegal dos. Thousands of kids with a generator in a disused quarry etc. I have snatches of memories like climbing a scaffold rig to bounce dangerously up and down on a cross beam above 15,000 people and a sea of lasers while Prodigy did one of their early live sets at airfield in 1992.
That means that dance music has been a constant for me, I always loved the electronica that it grew from- Art of Noise and stuff like that, and the wonderful (or shameful) thing is that dance music really hasn't progressed that much since the 90s so I listen to a lot of current mixes while I work. That said dance music is the constant above an ever shifting landscape. Indie kid, whisky soaked blues fan, classical concert goer, rock and roller and cheesy disco dancer. All of these paths light my fire.
But to give an example of what's in my ears as I work, it would have to be something like this right now;
http://www.mixcloud.com/Krafty_Kuts/krafty-kuts-radio-moscow-promo-dj-mix/

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just copy pasted this from another thread on music from a while back. Sums it up for me though .....

My 3 favourite albums are:

Elliott Smith - XO
Pearl Jam - Vs
Hell Is For Heroes - The Neon Handshake

Elliott Smith is my all time favourite artist. Like a lot of stuff similar to that, mainly American singer songwriters like Ryan Adams, Bright Eyes, Josh Rouse ... but grew up through the grunge phase and still listen to Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam ... and Britpop .. was a massive Oasis fan and loved bands like Longpigs, Mansun, Echobelly and Pulp.

Big music fan =) ... My first true passion!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I refuse to move away from physical copies of albums. I have 100s of CDs on a custom made shelf in my living room. Don't buy as many as I used to, but still go on CD buying binges every now and then.

ralfy

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
My favorites are a collection of songs performed by Bob Marley, Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez from a Decca album, and Britten's Curlew River.

Alucard

Staff member
I'll have to split my post because I cant post more than 5 videos in one post. So sorry for that.
Well lets start with my favorite band. Morphine. These Americans stole my heart and then totally crushed it when Mark Sandman died :(
Here's two of their songs. It's hard to choose, I love them all.

Next up. Wire. Brits from 1976, punk at it's best. Pink Flag album. Pink Flag song. This came out in 1977. Unbelievable imo.

Next, some more Americans. Fugazi. Post punk, hardcore. Call it whatever you like, they're one of a kind. This whole album is amazing.

Alucard

Staff member
For some alternative bands now if those above weren't alternative for you enough lol.
Shoegaze. They kinda made it popular, if you can call it that. Good Irish people, My Bloody Valentine.

Brits again. Portishead. You may have heard of them.

Next up punk/alternative band from USA, The Replacements. Love these guys. Here's them singing about gender equality in fucking 1984. If that isn't radical and revolutionary I don't know what it is. That's what good punk music does best. The whole album is amazing.

Alucard

Staff member
And now for the Power-pop bands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_pop
I'm just gonna add some bands I really like. Most of them are pretty unknown. But if you are interested give it a go and press play. Especially the first video. It's good representation of the power-pop. Also Pointed Sticks are my fav band from that genre. They're Canadian and that song is from 1980.

Alucard

Staff member
Now for some Japanese music I really love.
First up Yoko Kanno. Anything that woman touches turns into gold. I first got introduced with her music though anime. So...here we go, my fav tune of Cowboy Bebop. She made so much, I could go on with Ghost in the shell and other soundtrack. But I won't. The woman is a genius though.

Of course there's The Seatbelts. The woman jumping in red coat is Yoko Kanno :D

Next up Kalafina. Japanese pop band. You may think oh not one of those, but these girls are different.
They have substance, not just form. I don't like J-pop but I like them. I'll put lyrics so you know what they are singing about.
The song is 夏の林檎 (Natsu no Ringo/ Summer's Apple). It's beautiful.
upload_2015-1-20_12-28-51.png

And there's Nujabes. I discovered him through Samurai Champloo. He did instrumental music which is kind of a mix of hip hop and jazz. Great chill out sound. Died couple of years ago. Tragedy really, he was in his 30s I think.

There are more but let's move on. This is a long ass post as it is.
From classic rock, my favorite band of all times. Dire Straits. Love them so much.

Other artists I really like Blondie, Ramones, Guano Apes, RHCP, Miles Davis, John Coltrane.

I'll leave the music from Balkans for another post, this one is too long as it is. I hope you find some good bands among my favorites :)

Last edited:

Sir Arthur

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this video. Low budget, but it makes me think of Lady Envy from Malazan.The next video that comes up Over the Hills and Far Away, is a good one too.

Last edited:

moonspawn

I like all different kinds of music but progressive rock, alternative rock, fusion jazz, and violin music tends to be what I like best. For progressive rock The Mars Volta, The Flower Kings, King Crimson, Camel, Jethro Tull, Porcupine Tree and Yes are all awesome bands. Then for alternative rock I like Radiohead, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Muse, Soundgarden, and others. For fusion jazz I really like Larry Corryell, Al Di Meola, Return to Forever, Michael Urbniak, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, etc. Then for violin music Turtle Island Quartet is my favorite. In fact I even saw them live once.