This Thread Kills Fascists

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Low budget, but it makes me think of Lady Envy from Malazan.
It might be low budget but it's very Malazany. I like it.
I'll look forward to it. I love to discover new music, and the best way to do that is often to listen to stuff from another culture.
Thanks man. I'll do my best to pick out some good ones. There's a lot.

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Well lets start with my favorite band. Morphine. These Americans stole my heart and then totally crushed it when Mark Sandman died
Nicesuuuu.....also one of my all time favourite bands! Saw them live in Boston (touring after their "Like Swimming" release) in the summer of 1997. Mark was really getting to be stressed out by then...always looked haggard with huge bags under his eyes and moody as hell. I was with two friends and we ended up chatting to Billy Conway for a while when he came to get a drink at the bar after they'd finished their set (I grew a beard whilst in Boston to be able to pass for over 21 with my fake ID). Colley also joined for a few minutes (it was a small venue), but Conway (a very nice, unpresumptuous guy) talked at length of their Treat Her Right days - in fact, Treat Her Right were active again and were also playing in Boston, but I wasn't able to catch them. Wish I could have seen Morphine one more time before Sandman croaked.

Seen them live twice. Once in London and then in Berlin during their "Third" album tour. Also seen Massive Attack (3 times) and Tricky, thus completing my concert viewing experience of the holy trinity of trip hop.

[As a side note, I only have Tom Waits left to see before I complete another holy trinity consisting of the aforesaid Waits, Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan. But Tom Waits is notoriously difficult to catch in concert - I've been waiting nearly 15 years for a chance.]

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Nicesuuuu.....also one of my all time favourite bands! Saw them live in Boston (touring after their "Like Swimming" release) in the summer of 1997. Mark was really getting to be stressed out by then...always looked haggard with huge bags under his eyes and moody as hell. I was with two friends and we ended up chatting to Billy Conway for a while when he came to get a drink at the bar after they'd finished their set (I grew a beard whilst in Boston to be able to pass for over 21 with my fake ID). Colley also joined for a few minutes (it was a small venue), but Conway (a very nice, unpresumptuous guy) talked at length of their Treat Her Right days - in fact, Treat Her Right were active again and were also playing in Boston, but I wasn't able to catch them. Wish I could have seen Morphine one more time before Sandman croaked.
What a great story, I'm jealous. 1997....jesus...I was 14, and on the other side of the world. I wouldn't discover them for a while yet. Sandman always had that look, no matter what picture/video of him I see, that's true.

I'm very sad sometimes I never have the chance to see many of the bands because most of them don't come here.

Boreas

Staff member
I like all different kinds of music but progressive rock, alternative rock, fusion jazz, and violin music tends to be what I like best. For progressive rock The Mars Volta, The Flower Kings, King Crimson, Camel, Jethro Tull, Porcupine Tree and Yes are all awesome bands. Then for alternative rock I like Radiohead, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Muse, Soundgarden, and others. For fusion jazz I really like Larry Corryell, Al Di Meola, Return to Forever, Michael Urbniak, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report, etc. Then for violin music Turtle Island Quartet is my favorite. In fact I even saw them live once.
Nice line up of bands. I don't know Camel and The Flower Kings and I never got into Yes. Jethro Tull I will always be fond of, especially his mid-period work (mostly the early-/mid-70s albums, starting with Aqualung) and I went through a massive Porcupine Tree phase when I was 22/23. Ian Anderson was in town about 1.5 years ago doing a solo gig and I REALLY wanted to see him (I'm sure that was my only chance to see the man before he, too, croaks), but the tickets were just too pricey (for Ian Anderson, at least, despite my love for Jethro Tull, which is essentially leftover nostalgia springing from my père's musical influence). I've flirted with various albums by The Mars Volta (even saw them when they came to Vienna), but what really got me into them was At the Drive-in's third album "Relationship of Command", which (from what I've listened to) they've never quite been able to top as The Mars Volta. Progressive rock-ish bands have always been hit-or-miss for me, never consistent.

In the fusion category, I'm particularly partial toward the Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin's solo work is also really impressive), though I also like some of Return to Forever's work. Not really familiar with the other names, though I've heard some Weather Report.

You should post links to tracks you like.

Last edited:

Boreas

Staff member
What a great story, I'm jealous. 1997....jesus...I was 14, and on the other side of the world. I wouldn't discover them for a while yet. Sandman always had that look, no matter what picture/video of him I see, that's true.

I'm very sad sometimes I never have the chance to see many of the bands because most of them don't come here.
Yeah, in hindsight, I was very lucky to catch them when I did. I had just turned 18 before I saw them that summer (literally, maybe 10-15 days before I saw them). It's a real treat to be able to meet the musicians you go see. It's a lot easier when they're relatively unknown (I met Amon Tobin like that). The only other time I've been able to meet a very famous band was The Fairport Convention at my university town. They're an uber-famous celtic-/folk-rock band from England from the 70s (my father used to play their album "Liege and Lief" very often). Met the whole band after the concert was done (there were about 8 or 9 of them with the extra session musicians, but sans Sandy Denny, of course, who died much too soon in the 70s). They stayed around to chat with fans, we all had a few beers, and I even got them all to sign the album I bought from their tour. It was hella fun. Those guys are damn funny.

EDIT: A good friend of mine saw Tricky in Toronto, then hung out with him and smoked a massive blunt (maybe there's some embellishment concerning the size of the blunt as he tells it, but I don't otherwise doubt the authenticity of the tale). And this was in the days when Tricky and Martina Topley-Bird (whom I've also seen, albeit solo) were still working together in Tricky's earlier albums and touring together. Would have loved to have been there and talked about the early trip hop days.

Last edited:

Sir Arthur

The new single from mt current favorite band, Nightwish.The rest of the new album is said to be much heavier, but this is a great song. Floor Jansen has a great voice!

Boreas

Staff member
In honour of Sarah Brightman going to space. I'm a slightly ambivalent towards this whole event. On the one hand, I hope she stays there and, then again, I admire her drive and the harmonious set of circumstances that have come together to make this happen for her. As for the song, it's great; Sarah Brightman, soprano, not so much.

wakarimasen

So this thread kills fascists... But has no problem with communists bankrolling conservative pinups.

That story is crazy. Who knew the future was going to be so weird?

Sir Arthur

Sarah Brightman, soprano, not so much.
I think Sarah has a nice soprano voice, but she doesn't always choose songs that really suit her. When she sings something well, she sings it really well. I love her Scarborough fair. I'm not really a fan of her, but I respect her career.

No big deal to me if she wants go visit the ISS. If I could, I think I would too.

Boreas

Staff member
So this thread kills fascists... But has no problem with communists bankrolling conservative pinups.

That story is crazy. Who knew the future was going to be so weird?
Posting her old song was a bit of a joke.
No big deal to me if she wants go visit the ISS. If I could, I think I would too.
Yes, but who's paying the 34 million? Certainly not her.

Boreas

Staff member
Amon Tobin has long been a favourite DJ and producer of mine. I bought his 1998 album "Permutation" sometime towards the end of 1999 and listened to it a few times and then put it away. Besides my regular rock listening, I was heavily into the French house scene at the time, still listening to some big beat acts (most notably "The Crystal Method") and also into Goa trance. The Goa trance phase was short lived, lasting less than a year. When I went back to university, I listened to the "Permutation" album again and bam! everything clicked, and I was obsessed with Amon Tobin's incredible production talent. I got his back catalogue of albums and even got a chance to see him live (he came to my university town) in a venue with less than 100 people in the audience. My Amon Tobin phase lasted a long time, and though it's been many years since I've listened to him regularly, I'll put on an album every once in a while. Here are a few examples of his overall work.

"Keep Your Distance"

"Bloodstone" (studio version)

"Warda's Whorehouse Inside Out Version" (A remix of a Philip Glass composition)

And some more:
"Reanimator"

"Sultan Drops"

"Bloodstone" (the orchestral version performed by the London Metropolitan Orchestra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDakpMOSbYQ

Last edited:

Boreas

Staff member
He's talented, but I find his compositions elicit a stressful feeling in me. I don't like it.
Agreed. I find the juxtaposition of stress/anxiety and sense of release in many of his songs to be to my liking. It can bring out some very complex emotions and I like the dark nature that his songs can elicit. "Bloodstone" in particular is very good at that. Have you heard his stuff before? Albums or just individual tracks?

For something more harmonious, you might prefer what I've been listening to lately on a regular basis. I've listened to the album "Devinire" around twice every day for the last 3-4 days.

"Devinire" (at around 1:55 notice the delight on the violinst's face when his favourite movement starts)

"Primavera" (probably one of my favourites from the album. this one in particular reminds me a lot of Yoko Kanno, mainly the haunting intensity of the beautiful violin section. gives me goosebumps just like Yoko Kanno's violins did)

Last edited:

Boreas

Staff member
Yes indeed! I love classical piano, and I love to see a musician enjoying themselves like that. Absolutely beautiful.
I know, right? I love it, too.

Piano and violin are my favourite instruments. I'm essentially a rock guy, so I listen to a lot of guitar music, but it's the piano that really takes my breath away. The violin I love both singly (as in with a concertmaster's performace) or in an orchestra. The violin is also very beautiful in Indian classical music - the only western instrument to have been fully adopted in the Indian classical style since the British introduced it, and is now a vital instrument in both north and south Indian classical traditions. However, the style of playing is completely different from the western tradition, and as impressive as anything that Ivry Gitlis could perform.

moonspawn

So I'm finally getting around to posting some songs I like. Here are some of the more epic ones.

Boreas

Staff member
I had a love affair with TV on the Radio for about 4 years from 2006-2010 which was especially intense for about 2 years. Saw them open for Massive Attack in 2006 (had never heard of them at the time, but they were the first act followed by DJ Shadow and finally Massive Attack) and remember thinking that I should get their album but never did. Then about half a year later, a friend was visiting me from Canada (via the U.K., where he was visiting family) and he brought me TV on the Radio's first album as a present. That kicked it off. My favourite album is their second, "Return to Cookie Mountain".

'Dreams' - off their first album "Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes" (2004). I've had this track on repeat umpteen times.

'Playhouses' - another one of my favourites, from their second album "Return to Cookie Mountain" (2006). I've seen them live 3 times, and the fuckers have NEVER played this track, goddammit. There isn't even a live/bootleg video of them playing this track.

'DLZ' - off their third album "Dear Science" (2008). I was less enthused with this album after their their first two, even though it's a solid piece of work. 'DLZ', however, crept up on me out of seemingly nowhere and gave me goosebumps and got my heart pumping (it starts out as quite a prosaic-like piece, so your guard is down). Saw them live for the second time on their "Dear Science" tour and they played this towards the end of their set, just when I was giving up hope! I saw them for a third time in 2009, but that was not for an album tour.

'Caffeinated Consciousness' - off their fourth album "Nine Types of Light" (2011). They took more of a funky turn on this album, almost flavouring it with Disco.

I don't want to post all their good songs in one go, need to ration them out. They are truly an excellent and talented band. Together with the psychedelic rock of The Black Angels, TV on the Radio with their post-punk sensibilities were one of my favourite discoveries during the latter half of the noughties. TVotR don't sound as good live as they do on their well-produced studio albums, but the intensity of their performance more than makes up for it. Each time I've seen them, they've looked liked they've given their all at the end of each set. If you ever get the chance, go see them.

Last edited:

Sir Arthur

This song pops into my head every night when my wife tells my daughter it's story time.We should put it on a timer so it'll play automatically at 7:30pm, and she would know it's time to start getting ready for bed!