This Thread Kills Fascists

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
I used to like listening to Tracy Chapman as I fell asleep when I was a child. I almost always played her eponymous debut (1988). When I was older, the last album of hers I bought and listened to was "New Beginning" (1995) which became my favourite. I haven't ever bought any of her albums after that, even though I know she's released quite a few. She mostly went back to her folk roots with "New Beginning" and it's a fantastic album from beginning to end. I had different songs off of it that were favourites at different times, but the one that most/still endures for me is the low-key and emotionally subtle 'Remember the Tinman'. The last time I went through a small Tracy Chapman phase was during the winter of 2001/2002, when I relistened to all her albums that I had, but especially "New Beginning" - haven't put on any of her albums since.

Last edited:

Boreas

Staff member
I really like metal, but I've usually stayed away from death metal. The only such metal band that I enjoy listening to is France's Gojira, albeit in small doses, and I need something lighter afterwards to mitigate its somber effects. Heavy and melodic at the same time, and technically highly proficient. Their last album was 2012's "L'Enfant Sauvage" from which are the following numbers:

The titular track

'Explosia'

Sir Arthur

I really like metal, but I've usually stayed away from death metal.
Same for me. I'm rarely in the mood for death metal. Often the bands are really good, but the growling style of singing puts me off.

Another good one is the German band Atrocity. They also perform as Leaves' Eyes with Liv Kristine on vocals. I prefer the latter. Still heavy, but Liv has an impressive voice.

Atrocity

Leaves' Eyes

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Just recently discovered The Broken Social Scene,kicking myself that they've been around for some time and only now getting into them. They have a nice chilled out,atmospheric indie sound..great when I want to declutter my brain

Boreas

Staff member
Just recently discovered The Broken Social Scene,kicking myself that they've been around for some time and only now getting into them. They have a nice chilled out,atmospheric indie sound..great when I want to declutter my brain
Their second album "Let the People In" (2002) is my favourite, and it was also the first I listened to. The song from that album that really got to me was 'Cause = Time'. In never saw the video for it until now. I never did end up listening to their last album either, which is supposed to be excellent. This collective also introduced me to Feist.

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Their second album "Let the People In" (2002) is my favourite, and it was also the first I listened to. The song from that album that really got to me was 'Cause = Time'. In never saw the video for it until now. I never did end up listening to their last album either, which is supposed to be excellent. This collective also introduced me to Feist.

Aah yes..saw the video for Cause=time,recently as well and still mulling over it,could end up as a unwritten essay in my head,terrific song and that opening! Going to check out Feist,heard wonderful things..so much music and so little time. My playlists are starting to look like a musical version,of a rag and bone store

wakarimasen

I have trouble listening to any metal with a growling vocal without thinking of pirate metal
Consequently I find all of it a bit silly.

Griffin

I like quite a lot of different music genres like (progressive) rock, jazz, post rock, drone, IBM, metal, (neo)classical and contemporary classical music, certain innovative forms of pop rock, indie, folk, and stuff from the older decades (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac..).

Metal has a special place in my heart. I grew up with it and still listen to it quite often.

This is a guilty pleasure of mine:

ofer

Here is something that I heard today after a long, long time. My favorite song from the guy who used to be called The Prince of Darkness of rock music.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is something that I heard today after a long, long time. My favorite song from the guy who used to be called The Prince of Darkness of rock music.

One of my mates in High School was infatuated with Nick Cave. His voice just annoyed me!

I listen to everything from the most brutal of metal to the soft tones of Chopin. I'm usually listening to bands in phases, like right now I'm currently in an early Within Temptation and Paradise Lost Phase.

Some more general stuff that I can listen to any time:
etc.

I'm a gigantic music nerd, so feel free to discuss the matter with me :D

Anti_Quated

They also perform as Leaves' Eyes with Liv Kristine on vocals. I prefer the latter. Still heavy, but Liv has an impressive voice.
Heart palpitations. Norwegian Lovesong is a cherished tune that always gets a few spins whenever I go for a pack march around the bluffs.

Ben Howard's Oats in the Water. I know it's hearkening back aways to dear old Hershel, but it's a great song nonetheless. And anything that reminds me of the Walking Dead is a welcome addition.

Sir Arthur

I like Within Temptation, and Slayer brings back memories. I just saw Nightwish with Delain, and Sabaton. Sabaton really blew me away live. What an amazing opening act! Nightwish with Floor Jansen was on hell of a show.

Last edited:
I like Within Temptation, and Slayer brings back memories. I just saw Nightwish with Delain, and Sabaton. Sabaton really blew me away live. What an amazing opening act! Nightwish with Floor Jansen was on hell of a show.
I'd basically give anything to see Nightwish, I listened to them a lot during the Tarja era and Floor Jansen is just awesome. Same for Within Temptation. I've seen (and heard) Sabaton a couple of times since I usually work at their annual festival, it's simply insane how much fireworks and other pyrotechnics they use!

Sparrow

... what's up with folks digging Nightwish?.. the music is pretentious melodrama by a band that takes itself way too seriously. Imo.:)

Now, for some real music... Jon Anderson (of Yes fame) with Vangelis, The Friends of Mr. Cairo...