too embarrassed

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by peterjack, Jul 14, 2017.

1. peterjack

peterjack Possibly a Darkfriend

I feel like I haven't read a good book in a couple of years. Fantasy is my favorite genre by far, but I have only read a bunch of decent books ("beginner's fantasy"). I was wondering if anyone could give a recommendation to me. I enjoy universes like the video game Dragon Age which has dragons, demons, and other creatures coupled with a very dark setting.

2. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Hi Peter,

There are so many books and series that fit your requirements! Have you checked out the lists on the main site?

The one that springs to mind immediately is a Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin. The series is unfinished (and a lot of people would argue that it will probably remain so, me included), but the first 3 books in the series are the best fantasy you'll find. Books 4 and 5 are less good, but still great.

Another one is Malazan Book of the Fallen. It is a humongous series -10 books of about 1000 pages each for the main 10-book series- but it is oh so rewarding.

If you feel you've had enough of beginner's fantasy and want to dive into the more epic stuff, these 2 series are a great start.

3. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Embarrassed? But why, sir? Allow us to shower you with recommendations.

Malazan
    Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series (it's German for 'the Hugh, the')
    First Law from Joe Abercrombie
    Mistborn from Sanderson (avoid his recent output though)

A lot of us in here write too so keep an eye out for threads about member works!

4. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Well you came to the right place!

My best recommendation for what you want is the Traitor Son series starting with The Red Knight. It's pretty much all dragons, demons and LOTS of other creatures, all the time. You get all that in every book of the series, which is four great books so far, with the finale coming out in November.

Also the Immortal Treachery series beginning with Blood, Steel & Fire has lots of creatures as well as a kick-ass story with the most badass but lovable anti-hero of all. The author, abatch, is a member here.

The Dread Empire series beginning with A Cruel Wind is great as well and you would love it.

5. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Lots of good suggestions up above. But don't be embarrassed. You're asking people for help who know how to give it and you want to branch out, unlike this dude I knew in grad school who thought of "Twilight" as fantasy.

6. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Twilight is fantasy ;)

7. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I just wanted to say welcome @peterjack
    You got some great recommendations already, but I will also give you one. Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski is pretty dark, with bunch of creatures (and dragons) and it has an added benefit of drawing from Slavic mythology. It's set in a war torn Poland like country from 12th century.

If you ever decide to read it, the most important thing is to get the order of the books right. So I'll leave the correct reading order here, in case you decide to give it a go.

1. The Last Wish (Witcher #1)
    2. The Sword of Destiny (Witcher #2)
    3. Blood of Elves (Witcher #3)
    4. Time of Contempt (Witcher #4)
    5. Baptism of Fire (Witcher #5)
    6. Tower of the Swallows (Witcher #6)
    7. The Lady of the Lake (Witcher #7)

Dragon Age is also in my top 5 favorite games, especially first Dragon Age game. Than there's Witcher games, Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate II :)

Welcome to BFB! No need to feel embarrassed.

8. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

If you like Dragon Age which has evil dark spawn and magic I would think Wheel of Time might be up your alley as well.