Top 25 Best Indie Fantasy -- New List

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
FYI, those quotation marks mean someone else said those words. If y'all need any help identifying the author(s) of the words you're so angry about, let me know.

btkong

Staff member
On the Top 25 Indie Public list, a lot of the books have been downvoted in a suspicious manner -- makes me think that some of the authors are trying to sabotage their competitors. I get with all the promise of an easy life making a killing as an indie fantasy author (as some have managed to do at this point) seems to be incentive enough for that sort of behavior.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Can it be tracked from your side who did the downvoting? Can you for example see their IPs?

btkong

Staff member
i can, with some effort, track the IPs of the voters, but it would be hard to tie that to someone specific

kenubrion

I've never voted and frankly wouldn't know how and wouldn't stoop to that in any event. Seems pointless. Of course, the hate for Mathias on display on the last page...

Travis

Warded demons with Arlen
I've never voted and frankly wouldn't know how and wouldn't stoop to that in any event. Seems pointless. Of course, the hate for Mathias on display on the last page...
So what are you insinuating exactly here? Are you implying that one of us is doing this? Maybe I am misunderstanding. I know you said that you don't normally pay attention to what authors comment so did you not look at those links Darwin posted and read all of stuff Mathias was saying? I don't think I've ever seen someone so full of himself. He actually claimed that he was better than Tolkien, Hobb, etc and the like. And he attacked people. I just don't know how you can defend the guy. And yes I know the quotations weren't your own words, I do know how quotations work. I wasn't responding to one specific post but rather your entire stance of defending this guy. How you can do that I just will never understand but I digress, I don't think anyone will be getting anything meaningful or helpful out of any more of this so I'll leave it at that.

Darwin

Anyways, there's two points of contention here:
1) The author is a douchebag
2) The books are bad

Evidence is very strong for point 1. See my previous links for the way the author conducts himself. He's not unique in this, nor would he be the first douchebag to write a great book. Card qualifies, I believe that Martin does as well, and some people feel the same way about Scalzi (I don't, but whatever).

Evidence for point 2 is pretty weak. "The Sword & The Dragon" might be the single least imaginative title I've ever seen, and there's a dragon on the cover. This reeks of low grade, knockoff fantasy. The amazon reviews are suspiciously abundant and positive, and there's some evidence among the poor reviews that the author uses fake accounts to harass negative reviewers, has bad reviews pulled, and might be writing the good reviews himself (or buying them). However, none of that involves actual analysis of the plot, the writing, or the characters. Most of the people in this thread put off by him haven't actually read the books, me included. It's recommended on the best indie list, kenubrion's standing up for him, and the indie list claims he's well reviewed by top fantasy book bloggers.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what are you insinuating exactly here? Are you implying that one of us is doing this?
I think you're pretty wide of the mark with this one. Most of the folk who vote in the main lists don't participate in the forum, and vice versa.

Darth Tater

@kenubrion

Seriously though, I was bored last night and was going through the "Post Your Top 25" thread and you and I loved a lot of the same stuff LOTR, The Hobbit, Swans War, Kingkiller, Dagger and Coin, and Stormlight.

But We disagre on Farseer (I would never argue it wasn't a great book, of course) and Man Of His word (that one bored me but that was just personal tastes). Most of the others I never read.

I HATED Chronicles Of Amber!! Maybe worse than Mathias' crap. But only because it was so long and drawn out and it took longer to read than Marhias' one book. That one I am willing to debate but only from the standpoint of how boring it was. Wardstone pales in comparison to those. I thought the editing sucked and the content was copied from other books, IMHO. It doesn't even belong in the same conversation.

But check it out, send the looney toon an email telling him someone is trashing him and his book. I already know how the conversation will unfold and could do an advance parody of it but why spoil it? He will love you for the information and maybe you two can establish an ongoing correspondence as you appear to be a huge fan!!

Last edited:

Darth Tater

Of course, the hate for Mathias on display on the last page...
I don't think anybody hates him. People posted examples of his irrational behavior. I don't think you can argue the guy is a TOOL. If you like his writing, you're entitled to your opinion. Others are entitled to their's and I'm not even sure anybody else read it and didn't like it but me. Ben really liked it so who am I to argue? However, I do not have to agree with him in this one isolated instance. I think Mathas is a joke. Nothing will change that.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
He comes across as a raving lunatic, that's for sure. For me, the only way I'd pick up a book of an Indie author is on the recommendation of those I trust or if I know the author (personally or via this forum for example). I'd never pick up Mathias's book now because of his bizarre online behaviour (Kenubrion, if you're secretly Mathias, please disregard the earlier sentences; I'd gladly read your books :p)

Darth Tater

He comes across as a raving lunatic, that's for sure. For me, the only way I'd pick up a book of an Indie author is on the recommendation of those I trust or if I know the author (personally or via this forum for example). I'd never pick up Mathias's book now because of his bizarre online behaviour (Kenubrion, if you're secretly Mathias, please disregard the earlier sentences; I'd gladly read your books :p)

Ok. Here is the thing.

If/when... No, WHEN, M.R.shows up he needs to sign in, correct? So, it would boil down to his promoting his own garb...err, books. So is he a member or is he a troll? I mean, I cannot refer to a member as a...well, Darwin put it best...as a douche bag to his face can I? :finger: I really didn't want to say he would show up earlier because I thought it might deter him but if he sees it he will bite regardless. Proverbial hook, line, and sinker. :cigar:

M. R. Mathias. M..R. Mathias Mathias Mathias Mathias Mathias

Ok, now I'm misbehaving. Sorry.:oops: Really, I don't care. I just hated his work and wanted to share that. I certainly defer to Ben and even Kenubrian on fantasy book matters. Just my humble opinion. I just don't see why we viewed it so differently??? I knew nothing about this guy until after I felt I couldn't stomach more and got curious. I saw a free book. The title and cover were lame but thought why not...I wanted to like it so much that I read past my 30 page barrier. The story was so-so. I felt it was all cliche, sophomoric, and stuff I've read earlier. Nothing new. The editing was awful and to his credit I think he went back and fixed it up some. Other than that I have nothing nice I can think to say.

Darwin

If M.R. Mathias and Michael Robb Mathias, Jr. show up, I'm certain they will be treated with the respect they deserve. After all, one of them writes the best fantasy books of all time, while the other runs an extremely prestigious and in no way ridiculous publishing company. They have been nothing but mature and respectful "#NAZI #NAZI for DAYS and DAYS and DAYS."

moonspawn

I just read a couple of samples of M.R. Mathias's writing. It looked bland and uninteresting. So this guy is a very poor writer and a major dick. Sometimes my first drafts look like his final but I always heavily edit my writing to make it significantly better. Most people including myself (a little bit) lack confidence in their own writing so I'm flabbergasted at this guy's arrogant attitude. I'd never give him a penny.

Darth Tater

Wow! Nazi? Ok. Now it's personal and I'm pizzed! :rage: Ben...if this is true please please please don't promote this guy any longer on this honorable and respected site. Ok. FWIW You're still my fanrasy book "maven" hero of the ages, Ben, even if you leave it. I fully understand.I want to vomit.

kenubrion

You will notice I have defended him not one whit. Just stated that I absolutely love The Wardstone Trilogy. His dragon series is written you young readers. Vanx Malik is too tongue in cheek. So Wardstone is the only thing I like.