Top ten characters

Dale

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Of all the series' you guys have read, who are your 10 favourite characters? For me, they would have to be:

1. Karsa Orlong (Malazan)
2. Tehol Beddict (Malazan)
3. Tyrion Lannister (Song of Ice and Fire)
4. Rand Al'Thor (Wheel of Time)
5. Kruppe (Malazan)
6. Mat Cauthon (Wheel of Time)
7. Breeze (Mistborn)
8. Severus Snape (Harry Potter)
9. The Weasley twins (Harry Potter) (I count them as one)
10. Vin (Mistborn)

They're not in any particular order but I'm fairly certain these are 10 of the best characters I've encountered in books.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
edit your post and tell us where they are from if you don't mind :) . i'll post mine when i have a bit more of a think

1. Gandalf the Gray, aka Gandalf the White, aka Mithrandir (LoTR) - Okay, so sue me, this is a bit cliche but I loved the character. He was supposedly this powerful Wizard who was the wisest of his kind and waged a personal battle with the Dark Lord Sauron, but if he had his way he'd just hang out drinking ale, shooting off fireworks and laughing with hobbits. Come on, that's simply too cool.

2. Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit) - I read this story when I was very young and it left an indelible impression. I always cherished Bilbo and wished he had a larger role in the trilogy. But it was cool the way Tolkien let him go out somewhat gracefully.

3. Tasslehoff Burrfoot (DragonLance) - Again, sue me. So the original DragonLance series was a bit cheesy and formulaic. But I read this too when I was younger and I couldn't get enough of the irrepressable Kender.

4. Aragorn, aka Strider (LoTR) - He was a King who didn't mind gettin' his hands dirty and was willing to give his life to insure the safety of some small, insignificant Hobbits. Because of his honor, heroism and loyalty, this Lord among men should probably be at the top of my list, and would be if he'd just told a joke or two sometimes.

5. Eowyn, Lady of Rohan (LoTR) - Ahhh, the first maiden to make the list. But she should never be underestimated as her brother, her King and the Witch King Lord of the Nazgul found out. The scene where she defends her dying uncle against the Witch King as seen through Merry's point of view still gives me chills to this day.

My screen is doing that shaking thing, driving me nuts, so I'll post my next five later.

6. Raistlin Majere, aka The Master of Past and Present, (DragonLance) - Riastlin was cool. He looked cool, he acted cool and and he eventually overcame that hacking cough to be one serious badass wizard. Not too bad for a little skinny kid who nobody wanted to play with.

7. Anomander Rake (Malazan) - What's not to like? He's big, he's bad, he can turn into a dragon and his sword is as tall as most NBA post players. Plus, I love the scene where he offers to be somebody's second in a duel. This is the kind of guy you want to have 'your back'.

8. Peregrin Took, aka Pippin, (LoTR) - I know I am really favoring Tolkien's characters, but that's what I grew up with. I loved Pippin's unassailable curiosity that usually got him into trouble. He reminded me of myself when I was a kid.

9. Moiraine Damodred (WoT) - Call me crazy, but I thought Moiraine was cool. She was a bit cold, sure, telling Rand one time that she would most certainly sacrifice him to stop the Forsaken, or something like that. But she could be compassionate and was certainly loyal. Besides, I always imagined her as really HOT.

10. Matthew Mantrell (Her Majesty's Wizard) - This is a silly little book that I read years ago, and I absolutely loved it. A college student from our world crosses dimensions into an alternate European-style reality with magic that only works through the incantation of poetical verse. He is totally a 'fish out of water' but his novice skills as a poet allow him to become a great and powerful wizard, or close to it. Plus, he wins the heart of the princess in the end. Ehhh, predictable but exciting and heartwarming, or so I thought when I was twelve years old.

There are plenty of others as well. I was surprised to note I had none of Martin's characters on my list, but that's 'cause he has so many they're just hard to choose from. Of course, as I read more and more fantasy, I am sure my list will need to be updated.

Dale

Hey Elliot thanks for contributing. I always like it how your posts are quite descriptive as to why you like something/someone, keep it up.

Oh and I really wanted to fit Anomander Rake on my list as well, but there wasn't enough room. Moirane is definitely the best female character in the Wheel of Time, the ultimate Aes Sedai in my opinion.

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Top 10? Hmmm... I'm not sure I can think of ten characters who I'm that crazy about, but I'll give it a shot. Let's see how many I end up with. Warning: This is gonna be a long one.

1. Sand dan Glokta (The First Law) - One of the POVs in Joe Abercrombie's excellent trilogy, Glokta is all kinds of awesome. Once a dashing, cocky, talented young swordsman and Colonel with a bright future, he gets captured and brutally tortured for two years by the Gurkish. Where once he was admired -- men wanted to be like him, women wanted to be with him -- he now inspires disgust and scorn, leaving him a broken, bitter shell of the man he used to be. Clever and witty (in a dark, angsty sort of way), Glokta lives a miserable life where even the simple act of climbing stairs or getting out of bed is an excercise in frustration and embarrassment. Now a torturer himself, Inquisitor Glokta is more than up to the task of sharing some of his pain with others. If only there weren't so many darned steps...

2. Logen Ninefingers/The Bloody-Nine (The First Law) - The most feared man in the North, Logen is a barbarian who has killed more people than he cares to remember. Both friends and foes have fallen to his blade. Ironically, he really doesn't care much for fighting. Once the right-hand man of King Bethod, Logen is now Enemy Numero Uno, all because he wants to be a better person. "A man can change," he tells himself. A simple and uncultured man, who nonetheless possesses more wisdom and intelligence than he gives himself credit for, Logen is on the run from Bethod and his cronies. More importantly, he's on the run from himself and his past. Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he rocks.

3. Aragorn II (The Lord of the Rings) - The self-exiled heir to the throne of Gondor, Aragorn has chosen to stay away from his rightful place, fearing that he would turn into the same weak-willed traitor who let the Ring control him as his ancestor, Isildur. Strong of heart, mind and body, Aragorn is an honorable man who always chooses to do the right thing, be it difficult, painful, or to his detriment (like his willingness to break from Arwen to prevent her from giving up her immortality for him). Instrumental in the success of the War of the Ring, Aragorn is the epitome of the heroic figure. Modern Fantasy tend to have less heroic heroes, focussing more on shades of gray, an effort I do certainly appreciate. But whenever I think of a true Fantasy Hero, I think of Aragorn.

4. Roland Deschain (The Dark Tower) - A gunslinger of unparalleled skill, Roland is the descendant of Arthur Eld, this world's equivalent of King Arthur. With exceptionally powerful guns made from the melted down metal of Excalibur, Roland is obsessed with reaching The Dark Tower. Nothing -- not foe, nor even his friends -- will stand in his relentless pursuit. Viewed as being cold-hearted for using anyone and everyone on his way for his quest, Roland cares for his ka-tet more than he lets on. Ultimately, while Roland thinks of little other than the Tower, his own true quest, unknown even to him, is one of redemption. While many have criticised Stephen King for his handling of the later novels in the series (and indeed, books 5 and 6 are mediocre, at best) I feel the ending was, in fact, appropriate and very fitting for Roland and his obsession. Perhaps there is hope for him, yet.

There they stood, ranged along the hill-sides, met
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.''

5. Kelsier (Mistborn) - The man who had the most daring plan anyone in Luthadel could think of: overthrow the Lord Ruler. A Mistborn of exceptional skill, Kelsier's true strength lies in his force of personality. Ever the optimist, he never let setbacks and disappointments slow him down. With a willing smile and positive attitude, Kelsier was the Energizer Bunny of the skaa - never say die. He laughs in the face of death, not because he's cold, but because he laughs in defiance. In a world of misery, slavery and injustice, he showed the rebels that their true defeat would be in letting the world force them to give up. "I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try," the Survivor tells the Lord Ruler. "I am Hope."

Those are the ones that really stand out for me, so far. I'll think about it some more, and post if I can think of five more to round out the Ten.

I have other favorites that would make this list, but I will limit it to fantasy. Tough to do this off the top of my head, but I will try.

10. Tavi - Codex of Alera by Jim Butcher - Typical formula of boy who becomes prince, but done very well.

9. Harry Dresden - Dresden Files Series by Jim Butcher. The wise cracking wizard detective, kind of like the old Spider-man personality. Making jokes in life and death situations.

8. Glotka - The First Law by Abercrombie - Deformed and crippled former master swordsman, turned spymaster who beats opponents with his mind.

7. Bloody Nine or Logen Ninefingers - See above description by Afa.

6. Druss- The Legend and other books by David Gemmell. Old warrior who is never beaten. Carries an enchanted battle axe.

5. Skilgannon - The Swords of Night and Day and other books by David Gemmell - Master swordsman and pragmatist personality.

4. Wesley Twins sp? from Harry Potter - Very good comic relief.

3. Kvothe - The Name of the Wind

2. Arlen - The Warded Man

1. Dumbledore - from Harry Potter - Perhaps the greatest literary character of our time. Could the movies have been worse?

Dale

Thanks guys, I know it's a bit of a hard one that requires some thinking.

Keizer said:
1. Dumbledore - from Harry Potter - Perhaps the greatest literary character of our time. Could the movies have been worse?
I thought Dumbledore in the first two movies was perfect but the new (not really new anymore) Dumbledore is a bit to tense and grumpy for my liking.

Honorable mention off the top of my head:

The old lady who was the town doctor/herb gatherer in The Warded Man (cant remember her name off top of my head)
Locke Lamora from Lies of Locke Lamora
The girl/princess who brought back dragons in Song of Ice and Fire (I cant remember her name anymore)
Vin and Kelsier from Mistborn
The Fool from multiple Robin Hobb books.
The Dog or Wolf guy from Codex of Alera (cant remember his name anymore) Targ?
Waylander - from Waylander by David Gemmell - I really like Gemmells lead character warriors. The only ones who write them better are historical fiction writers and they are cheating.
FitzChivalry from Robin Hobb books.
The twin brother from Song of Ice and Fire who was a great swordsman and lost his hand also the father of his sisters kids . (I cant remember his name anymore either - I suck at remembering names).
Haggrid from Harry Potter
Helikaon from Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell

Dale said:
Thanks guys, I know it's a bit of a hard one that requires some thinking.

Keizer said:
I thought Dumbledore in the first two movies was perfect but the new (not really new anymore) Dumbledore is a bit to tense and grumpy for my liking.
He was physically short, lacked confidence, snapped at the kids, he projected no quiet power or authority, a total mis-casting for the role. Also, the scripts, dialogue and acting after the first two were horrible all the way around. The only good actors were the actors who portrayed Snape and Professor McGonagall. The first Dumbledore did a pretty good job I will admit. I havent watched any of the movies in full (other than a few scenes here and there) past Goblet of Fire.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I'll chime in. My list is not in order.

1- Drizzt. I read the first 9 or so of his series and couldn't put them down. When Wulfgar turned into a whiny obese alcoholic jackass after he came back from the dead, I got really bored with the series and stopped. But Drizzt... Drizzt was always a blast to read. His dual-wielding swordsmanship was really fun to read.

2- Logen "The Bloody Nine" Ninefingers. What hasn't been said about the guy already in the thread? He's one of fantasy literature's most nasty badasses.

3- Mat Cauthon. My favorite character from WoT. He's a lot more fun to read than anyone else in the series and has a great smartass attitude (and an awesome weapon).

4- Raven. The Black Company got infinitely more interesting while he was around. Another one of those badass guys that would stab you in the throat as soon as look at you.

5-Pug. Lamest name of any main character in any fantasy book I've read, but the ~8 books set in Midkemia by Feist that I have read have all involved him and I've been unable to put them down.

6- Beldin. A somewhat minor character from Belgariad/Mallorean. Nasty gnarled old hunchback mage, I just liked his attitude.

7- Arya. Her story along with #8 are my two favorite POVs in ASOIAF. While immature, I loved her progression when she met and learned with Syrio and her later thirst to pursue the life of a killer.

8- Daenerys Targaryen. She shows leadership beyond her age but still exhibits the maturity of a young woman. She brought back the dragons and I'm really looking forward to the development of her tale. To me, Dany is one of the two characters that the series relies on as sticking around.

9- Fitz. Yeah, he can get whiny and depressing, but he's a compelling character and I loved reading the series.

10- Locke Lamorra. Really entertaining, creative, intelligent, and irreverent. Quality guy.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
[/quote]
6- Beldin. A somewhat minor character from Belgariad/Mallorean. Nasty gnarled old hunchback mage, I just liked his attitude.
[/quote]
He is/was so cool. i really liked the ending for him in the Mallorean.

mine are not in order but they ar my top ten.

- Silk - Belgariad and Mallorean. i wanted a big brother just like him, to teach me the finger language, how to fight, by a spy and pick pockets haha. (Ce'Nedra comes in here to because she is too much like me for her not to get a mention)
- Arlen - The warded man. He is so cool, a little innocent boy turned padarse protector! whats not to love?
- Durzo - Night Angel trilogy. such a big softy but such and awesome character with a rich backstory. (i'd read a spin off book about him)
- Nighteyes- The assasins apprentice. Such a loyal lovable friend!!!! it was so sad when he....
- Drzzit - his books. He has such a moral compass for a dark elf. He was so in love with Catti-Brie (i HATE that name, in my head its cattle).
- Glotka - first law trilogy. Soo intriging! i felt sorry for him, but he became a sneaky spy not to be messed with!
- Logan - first law trilogy. Just a big bad hero.
- Locke - only in Lies of Locke. I have a thing for theives and spies. Oh and the theatrical elemennt to his heists = brilliant
- Martin and Arutha - riftwar. i feel this characters have a great potential for growth and although the are minor charcters in this series they are really great characters in the Riftwar legacy
- Dresden - Dreden files. funny as hell!!!

Eliot Wild said:
1. Gandalf the Gray, aka Gandalf the White, aka Mithrandir (LoTR) - Okay, so sue me, this is a bit cliche but I loved the character. He was supposedly this powerful Wizard who was the wisest of his kind and waged a personal battle with the Dark Lord Sauron, but if he had his way he'd just hang out drinking ale, shooting off fireworks and laughing with hobbits. Come on, that's simply too cool.

2. Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit) - I read this story when I was very young and it left an indelible impression. I always cherished Bilbo and wished he had a larger role in the trilogy. But it was cool the way Tolkien let him go out somewhat gracefully.

3. Tasslehoff Burrfoot (DragonLance) - Again, sue me. So the original DragonLance series was a bit cheesy and formulaic. But I read this too when I was younger and I couldn't get enough of the irrepressable Kender.

4. Aragorn, aka Strider (LoTR) - He was a King who didn't mind gettin' his hands dirty and was willing to give his life to insure the safety of some small, insignificant Hobbits. Because of his honor, heroism and loyalty, this Lord among men should probably be at the top of my list, and would be if he'd just told a joke or two sometimes.

5. Eowyn, Lady of Rohan (LoTR) - Ahhh, the first maiden to make the list. But she should never be underestimated as her brother, her King and the Witch King Lord of the Nazgul found out. The scene where she defends her dying uncle against the Witch King as seen through Merry's point of view still gives me chills to this day.

My screen is doing that shaking thing, driving me nuts, so I'll post my next five later.
Nobody wants to sue you ><, everyone got their own opinions...