Training for Malazan?

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Amaryllis I agree with you around the whole recommending First Law thing. There was a period where someone would write in and say they loved urban fantasy with aliens who breath fire with some vampires thrown in for good measure and ask what other recommendations people had and someone would suggest reading The First Law. OK, maybe not that pronounced but there certainly wasn't much reading or thought going into what the previous poster was after. I put it down to the afterglow of having finished a great series as it has certainly died down now.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Well, I'll come in here and be Mary quite contrary, the First Law Trilogy is awesome, as are the rest of Abercrombie's books, he's one of the best authors out there, read his books, yeah there is allot of Malazan discussion, but we're talking about the #2 rated series on the main site, I'd recommend it over ASoIaF, if the discussion tends towards folks getting into the series for the first time, so be it. It's an incredible series of books and deserves discussion.

If anyone wants to discuss the finer points of ASoIaF or the WoT I'll be all ears because I have allot to say about both series, but the Malazan series requires allot of chatter.

moonspawn

I'm almost done with Malazan. Only a couple books to go although I don't know how soon I'll be buying them. I like to take breaks in between. Once I'm finished with it I'll write a blog post reminiscing over the series and critiquing it as a whole, discussing it's strong points and many flaws (there are a lot of flaws despite what some rabid fans - myself included - might tell you). I'm still a long way from being an adept connoisseur, but I'm working on it.

moonspawn

I'd rather read other authors. I shouldn't have to read Esselmont's inferior work to fully enjoy Steven Erickson's Malazan books. Maybe I will read Esslemont at some point. I don't know.

Sir Arthur

That's cool. On the Malazan website they make Esselmonts books sound mandatory, interesting to hear another opinion.

I've come to trust the opinions of the people on this forum.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've only read one of ICE's books, but i absolutely bloody loved it. Really looking forward to his other ones, but I'm waiting til i reach certain points of the series before picking them up.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is sort of what I'm using to know when to go for the ICE books .. well this and another thread on here on malazan reading order...

Attachments

Antoxx

This is sort of what I'm using to know when to go for the ICE books .. well this and another thread on here on malazan reading order...
I like the attachment, it very much appeals to my desire for orderliness! Still couldn't bring myself to read in an order different than that which the author wrote though (and to complete one author's offerings beforemstarting anothers).

Antoxx

Having just finished Esselmont's series last night, I can say it's not exactly mandatory. I could have left it at the end of Erikson's series and been done with Malazan forever, and been perfectly happy with that. However, having gone on to read Esselmont, I'd say, if you liked Erikson's Malazan, you probably should also read Esselmont's Malazan. Esselmont does explain a lot of things better than Erikson does in his books and he also explains things that Erikson never really explained at all. He is also the most similar author to Erikson that I've encountered, which probably shouldn't be surprising given the co-creator, co-author status he has, though he obviously isn't the same author, so yes there will be some differences.

Overall, I did enjoy Erikson's books more, however Esselmont's books are only slightly less enjoyable than the worst of Erikson's books - that is, much more enjoyable than some of the crap I've encountered in the genre before. In the end I rate Esselmont's books with 2/3/4/4/4 stars, whereas for Erikson, I won't rate them all here, but only 4 of them get 5 stars individually. So yeah, Esselmont never achieved a 5 from me, but it's not like you'd be reading garbage either, (moonspawn) which the "inferior work" comment seems to indicate you believe.

The books are much shorter too, so it shouldn't take you as long, with book 1 being less than 300 pages, book 2 topping 700 and the rest all around 550 pages or so.
Thanks epf, you've convinced me to definitely read ICE's offerings and also provided some good context. Might read Night of Knives after I finish Knife of Dreams, which I'm currently reading. One knife to follow another......

moonspawn

I had heard some negative reader reactions to Esslemont's work so was under the perception that he was a mediocre author. I most certainly didn't think his novels would be crap.

moonspawn

I meant mediocre in general. I have no idea! I guess I'll read his work at some point. Maybe on the re-read of the fallen.... LOL at your hatred of Robert Jordan. That's what I call passion! I guess I shouldn't feel bad in my refusal to read his work. I took a silent oath. My main reason for not wanting to read the WoT is because it's very long and I've heard so much about it. I honestly feel like I've read it already. I'm also reluctant to read the first law despite how much praise it receives for the latter reason.

Antoxx

I started Crossroads of Twilight after I finished Blood and Bone, and within a few pages, still in the prologue, I was already regretting it, wishing I had not picked Jordan up so soon after my last foray into WoT (in which I read books 6-9 in 2012, and for the record, my previous foray I'd read the prequel through book 5 in 2005 then had to take a little bit of a break from that nightmare).

I hate Wheel of Time. I hate Jordan. I will do my public service duty until the day I die, letting everyone know they should never pick up a single book of The Wheel of Time.

I wish I'd never started reading this crap, but now I'm so close to the end of his writing, I can taste it. I just want to get it over with ASAP, and never touch anything with his name on it ever again - well, technically his name is on the last 3 novels written by Sanderson, but - you know what I mean, I'll never have to read another line written by Jordan, thankfully...

Mediocre compared to? Erikson? Wouldn't that be every other author on the planet? LOL :confused:
Love it. I had exactly the same experience with Crossroads of Twilight a month or so ago. However, I seem to be enjoying Knife of Dreams a lot more. Like you, I know I'll finish it off, although I'm nowhere having the same bad experience as you. CoT wasn't enjoyable and a couple before that seemed to be revisiting the same ground but overall it's been a very positive experience for me. Keep going, hopefully you'll find KoD an improvement (I'm about quarter of the way through so far).

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
To be honest, Sanderson saves the series, from TGS until AmoL were damn near the best books in the series, , favorite is still the Shadow Rising, Mat FTW. Robert Jordan painted himself into a corner and Brandon, etc all of team Jordan..., were able to get the books out of it and put it all to bed, and I still love the ending to one of the greatest series of books ever. I read them for 20 years, obviously I was fairly interested to see how this would end, and in my opinion it didn't disappoint.