Training for Malazan?

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I haven't read these books yet but will eventfully get around to reading them, I like some of you have pointed out in your own posts have trouble remembering what happens in books and if the series is really long it's even worse.

I read most of WoT when I was younger but never finished it, because I just stopped reading. So I don't know if I should start all over again or just carry on from where I left off, bearing in mind this was about ten years ago.

So how do you overcome these issues ?
I know Wheel of Time has chapter summaries, so you could always read those instead of re-reading all of the books. I'd probably recommend that for Crossroads of Twilight first time round as well! Here's one link: http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/.

Not too sure whether MBotF has similar thing- I haven't been able to find any.

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I haven't read these books yet but will eventfully get around to reading them, I like some of you have pointed out in your own posts have trouble remembering what happens in books and if the series is really long it's even worse.

I read most of WoT when I was younger but never finished it, because I just stopped reading. So I don't know if I should start all over again or just carry on from where I left off, bearing in mind this was about ten years ago.

So how do you overcome these issues ?

Wheel of time is worth getting back into. Sometimes when I stop a series and pick it back up years later I will typically Wiki the books I read to get a general understanding of Plot and characters/etc to refresh my mind on what happened. Then sometimes you just have to start over.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know Wheel of Time has chapter summaries, so you could always read those instead of re-reading all of the books. I'd probably recommend that for Crossroads of Twilight first time round as well! Here's one link: http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/.

Not too sure whether MBotF has similar thing- I haven't been able to find any.
There are some for the first few books, which are being added to over time.

If you Google 'malazan reread of the fallen' you'll find them. Think they're on tor.com!

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Currently struggling with Malazan! Nearly finished House of Chains, and barr the first 250 pages, haven't massively enjoyed it. There just seems to be a lot of people wandering around not doing a lot. Not sure if it's just the Seven Cities story lines, Deadhouse Gates wasn't that great for me either. Wondering whether to have a break from the series, or just soldier on .. I'm worried if i stop now for a while, I'll forget what is going on, it's difficult enough at the best of times. Hhhhhmmmmmmm ...
House of Chains is the worst book in the series in my opinion. I would just soldier on. That's what I did and do not regret it. Getting to Midnight Tides, Bonehunters, and Reaper's Gale is well worth the effort - that's where the real meat of the series is.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
House of Chains is a very different book on a reread. Several of the storylines that you wind up loving towards the end of the series start in that book and once you get an idea on where everything is headed you'll enjoy it allot more. I found it fairly off putting on my first read through as I was tossed into several story lines that I found hard to get into, i.e. Karsa's initial journey, on my second read I enjoyed seeing several of my favorite characters coming to the forefront for the first time, i.e. Karsa and his growth from what he started out as into what he becomes.

I count it as one of my favorites in the series, although I'd be hard pressed to tell you which book was my actual favorite in the series, but I didn't like it all that much on my first time through the series, which I can say for several of the books, the more you know about Erickson and Esslemont's Universe, the more you'll like the intricacies you glossed over on your first time through.