Unexpected Game of Thrones Fans?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
My parents (ages 63 and 64) were in town over the weekend. I was quite surprised to learn that my mother has read (and enjoyed) all five volumes of A Song of Ice and Fire, and that my both my parents have watched the first season of the Game of Thrones HBO series. Apparently my younger brother (29 and white and an off-and-on fantasy reader for probably 2 decades and just the kind of stereotypical fantasy fan we talked about in Danica's thread a couple of weeks ago) lent the books to my mother, and the interest in the HBO series came later.

I was just surprised that my mom liked the books. I wouldn't have pegged her as a GRRM fan. I just can't picture her reading about flayings and beheadings and rape and incest. The only fantasy she's read prior to this, to my knowledge, is Harry Potter (several volumes of which I gave to her as gifts, thinking she would enjoy them -- which she did). Her usual reading fare is more along the lines of bestseller thrillers and mysteries and emotional stuff like Jodi Picoult.

Anyway, after learning this, I had a conversation with my parents -- lasting several minutes -- about why GRRM is so slow to come out with new books (apparently, she keeps asking my brother if the next one is out yet). Never would have guessed that would happen.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you had run into other people who'd read ASoIaF who you wouldn't have expected to be fans of GRRM's books?

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Not read GRRM but my Dad and his wife both watch the HBO show and think it's great. I did laugh though when he complained about
Melisandre gave birth to the Shadow and he couldn't get his head around it. I had to remind him it was a fantasy series and shit like this happens in fantasy books!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Not read GRRM but my Dad and his wife both watch the HBO show and think it's great. I did laugh though when he complained about
Melisandre gave birth to the Shadow and he couldn't get his head around it. I had to remind him it was a fantasy series and shit like this happens in fantasy books!
I can see why that might be a bit odd to some people. Though it's fantasy, GRRM's series is kind of low on the magic. I mean, in the first season of the TV series there are dragons and white walkers, but other than that, not so much. So the event that Antoxx has hidden behind spoiler tags does come as a bit of a surprise.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
My mother-in-law, who I love to death. It's funny because she was not a reader until recently. Actually, my partner's family used to tease me because I always had my head in a book, but a few years ago she read Twilight (yech...), and then asked me to recommend some more books in the genre. Gradually I introduced her to other kinds of fantasy and now she's a big fan. She's read all the ASOIAF books - twice - and she calls me up each week to discuss what happened in this week's episode. I love her so much and think it's so awesome that she went from not really reading to becoming a fantasy buff in her fifties. It's also nice to have someone to talk to about the books we are reading, as everyone else thinks we're nuts for being into fantasy. lol

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taking inspiration from this thread, I've just persuaded my mother into giving Game of Thrones a shot. She reads a lot (mainly mainstream fiction), but I know she loved LoTR and is interested in Arthurian legends, so she seemed willing to give it a go. Will let you know what she thinks!

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
My sister and her husband watch the show:) was quite a surprise, they're quite religious so I didn't expect them to enjoy it as much as they do.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
People that watch the show and haven't read the books amuse me. The reaction videos to the red wedding on youtube were outstanding.