Unfinished series

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Yeah, I find the wiki summaries do the trick for me. Plus my memory gets better the farther in I get in a long awaited sequel.

Boreas

Staff member
I have no problem waiting until it's finished, especially if subsequent volumes directly continue the story. I reread both volumes of ASoIaF when the third book came out, and during my wait for the fourth, I swore I'd wait for the whole series to be finished first. I did make the mistake of reading "The Name of the Wind" when it came out (I can't remember if I didn't realise it was going to be part of a trilogy or didn't care). If the books in the series are episodic in nature, like with Dresden Files or most of David Gemmell's books, then it doesn't matter.

João Ribeiro

I'm also in the camp of not minding re-reading a good series like Stormlight Archive. For Dresden I don't really feel the need to.
As for Mr. Rothfuss I know I'll have to re-read everything but since I really liked the first two books it will become more of a pleasure than a burden.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I understand when you know the books are going to be trilogies or mini series or whatever, but withholding something like Stormlight Archives is different.

10 books. You will be waiting a long time to be reading this series then. Minimum another 8 years, but more likely 15.

Boreas

Staff member
Well, I've been waiting since 2002/2003 till now for ASoIaF to finish. That's already around 12 years. I've proved my mettle. I will probably give the first Stormlight Archives book a try sometime in the future to see if I like it, but I'm in no hurry for that either.

João Ribeiro

10 books. You will be waiting a long time to be reading this series then. Minimum another 8 years, but more likely 15.
Yup, I think the plan is to release one book every other year so... 8 books to go 16 years of waiting... Boy I need a Delorean!

kenubrion

Somehow I don't doubt that Sanderson will fulfill his promise to write one every other year until it's finished. Therefore I don't mind waiting. Hell, I pre-ordered WOR the moment Amazon made it available for pre-order and still haven't read it as I keep coming up with new stuff and the group here keeps making good recs. I know it will be great so I'm in no hurry.