Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
They DARE to disparage High Overlord Goodkind?! UNREADY, THE LOT OF THEM*.

*top kek

Davis Ashura

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I genuinely liked the first two, maybe even three books. I've read Wizard's First Rule probably 3-4 times. However, I didn't like the fourth one nearly as much as the earlier volumes, and the fifth one just wasn't my cup of tea. But what really turned me off was when he slagged off the entire fantasy genre. His critiques were nonsensical, arrogant, self-righteous, and self-serving. They were also incoherent and illogical. I know that years later, he's attempted to apologize for what he said, but the apology struck me as half-hearted and, once again, self-serving.
Edited because I screwed up the title of his first book.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I agree with Davis. This is one of the very few authors whom I detest because of the comments he has made during interviews. It is so bad that it just doesn't make me want to read any more books after I had read his first one (which wasn't too bad in my opinion).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The problem is that you won't see a lot of the idiocy in the early books.

And of course not mentioned (because it's not funny) is the blatant racism, like calling some primitive dark-skinned folks "Mud People" and having them be OK with it. And the lazy-ass writing (like using the same exact plot device in the first book and near the end of the series) and repeated infodumping (like, you are told in EVERY SINGLE BOOK how Richard and Kahlan met and later these speeches get longer and devolve into discussions of their philosophies of life).

In short, it's not worth your brain cells.

Fisterra

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I have never read Goodkind, so I really someone to confirm me something. Richard is the "Hero" and this (and many other things listed):
  • In one book, Goodkind creates a nation of pacifists (led by a small boy) as a strawman argument to display why Pacifism is Wrong. The pacifists stage a peaceful demostration to stop Richard from going to war; Richard slaughters the protestors, who are "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity." Richard also kills unarmed council members.
Is actually something that happens? It isn't one of the parodies mentioned in the post?!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have never read Goodkind, so I really someone to confirm me something. Richard is the "Hero" and this (and many other things listed):
  • In one book, Goodkind creates a nation of pacifists (led by a small boy) as a strawman argument to display why Pacifism is Wrong. The pacifists stage a peaceful demostration to stop Richard from going to war; Richard slaughters the protestors, who are "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity." Richard also kills unarmed council members.
Is actually something that happens? It isn't one of the parodies mentioned in the post?!
The list of bullet points is just quick plot summary points so the parodies (linked below the list of bullet points) will make sense. I seem to have blocked this particular bit from memory but it does seem right in line with the rest of Goodkind's nonsense. I do remember enough of the bullet points in the books to feel confident about saying that.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I read Wizards First Rule (the first book of SOT). For me

The good:
1. The plot was pretty good
2. There were some scenes in there (mostly graphic) that I will never ever forget.
3. I thought the Darken Rahl character was done well. Evil evil evil. Some of the other characters were interesting too (but not the two star good guys (Richard and his girlfriend...borrrring).

The bad
1. Some things just never made sense to me.
2. The S & M stuff. Why? It added nothing other than showing us his own sexual fantasies.
3. It literally took me 6 months to complete.
The trick with the shell game boxes at the end. I tried working it out and it never ended up like he said it did.
5. Maybe I'm wrong but there were no grey characters. They were either purely good or purely evil.
The sadist in red starts out purely evil but then thanks to purely good Richard she transforms to purely good too.

I had no desire to read book 2 but a certified psychopath (I was a parole hearing officer) told me about it. It sounded ludicrous to me but he said it was the best series he read in his life. Which should tell us something...then again, in fairness, who really knows how a psychopath interprets things?

If you're really that curious take the plunge and read it. You'll never get those hours back in your life that you wasted reading it. I mean I would still definitely recommend reading it.*

*but only to someone I disliked...a whole lot.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
I read the first half of 'Wizard's First Rule' a few years ago...it was atrocious. I'm baffled at how this garbage ever caught on. If someone said to me, "You have to read the entire 'Sword of Truth' series before you can ever read another book."...I'd quit reading for good.

Last edited: