Upcoming Releases (Film & TV)

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
What soon-to-be (or newly) released films and aired TV shows have caught your interest?

Ex Machina by Alex Garland. If I were there, I'd have booked my ticket for the panel discussion.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
What soon-to-be (or newly) released films and aired TV shows have caught your interest?

Ex Machina by Alex Garland. If I were there, I'd have booked my ticket for the panel discussion.
Just out of interest, how do you pronounce Machina?

The US voiceover for this series (over here in the UK) pronounces it as 'mash-in-a'

I always thought it was pronounced 'mash-een-a'?

But back on topic - sorry, I really don't watch much TV anymore, and don't have time for films since my little girl joined us.

Boreas

Staff member
I've always pronounced it with a 'k' not a 'sh': ma-ki-na. The a's and the i are equally short.

Boreas

Staff member
Same with the word machinations. I learned it with a 'k'.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
like all the pizza/pasta restaurants in the U.S. selling something they call "broo-sheh-duh" :banghead:

I call that spelling-based pronunciation: you see a word in print for a long time before you ever hear in pronounced, so you get used to a mispronunciation which can then be hard to shake.

Derk of Derkholm

Took me a moment to realize you are talking about broo-skeh-tuh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boreas

Staff member
Holy crap, I just found out that Amazon is doing an adaptation PKD's "Man in the High Castle" and they've already released the pilot episode on Amazon Prime! Looks fantastic. Those of you who've read the novel will probably want to see how well it holds up, but some of those clips show that they seem to have done a great job. The design of the Hakenkreuz itself gets top marks. The love affair that the film industry has developed with PKD's works has yielded many lukewarm results (except for "Blade Runner", a liberal yet sterling adaptation, and "A Scanner Darkly"). It's too bad that none of this happened during PKD's own lifetime, whose situation was utterly destitute (I've read) and, at the worst of times, even had to resort to canine fare.

J P Ashman

Stood on the wall with Druss
Ee by 'eck, I wud pr'nounce i' mash-ee-na, but I'm'a Brit...an' norven, so i don' pr'nounce owt righ'.

Back to typing proppa-like...oops, there I go again. I am sooooo looking forward to the obvious later this year. STAR WARS!

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Did you guys know about this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/
@TomTB @Sir Arthur @Griffin @Derk of Derkholm

Boromir as Mitch. Lol. I liked Mitch a great deal. I like Sean Bean a great deal as well.
They couldn't find an Indian actor to play Venkat Kapoor? So they went with Nigerian. I can already see the producers' conversation: Indian...Nigerian, potato potatoe meh...as long as he is brown >_<
I'm not sure about Matt Damon as Watney. I hope he can do it, he's a great actor. It's just that Watney is very spunky guy who uses irony and humor as a defense mechanism. I don't remember Damon playing anything like that before. I'm thinking he might be too serious for this character. We'll see.
Also Norwegian to play German. Close enough Hollywood. Close enough lol

Derk of Derkholm

Yes, pretty much what I thought.
Nevertheless, in one of the discussions I followed on this issue, somebody really commented "Hey, you do not know what you are talking about. Some Indians are very dark-skinned". Reeeeallly?

Best regards,
Andy

Alucard

Staff member
"Hey, you do not know what you are talking about. Some Indians are very dark-skinned". Reeeeallly?
Lol, some people.
If Robert Downey Jr was younger he'd be perfect Watney. Or Ed Norton, he has that sexy geeky side to him and he's funny :D But both of them are too old. Matt Damon is too old. Remember Watney is in his 20s.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep I did know about this - very much looking forward to it. I think Matt Damon is a good call, I actually quite like him as an actor, and he comes across like he's got a good sense of humour in interviews.

Hopefully the humour of the book will be apparent in the film, and it won't just be about suspense suspense suspense!

Derk of Derkholm

Matt Damon is a good actor.

But.he.is.not.funny.
And for me, that is the most imporant feature of Mark Watney, the very thing that kept me reading on and on.
If you get further in the book, you learn that one of the important factors why Mark Watney was selected for his participation, was that he is a seriously likable person, one who can make a group of people stick together better. Matt Damon? Hah!

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

Matt Damon is too old. Remember Watney is in his 20s.
That's quite interesting. Mark Watney never struck me as particularly young, on the contrary, he comes across as settled and mature to me (so my impression of him was that he would be in his thirties).

Also, the author Andy Weir (who admitted that the book is quite autobiographical) has not been in his 20's for quite some time, if I venture a guess, as he does not give his age anywhere :)

But, which Mid-20's person remembers the REAL (the original) Star Wars episodes?

Alucard

Staff member

Griffin

I'm wit @Derk of Derkholm on this one. Matt Damon is a good actor, but I don't think he's a good fit for this role. Also, I'm glad they are making this movie, but I hope the writers keep the depth in the story. Ridley Scott is a real fine director, but he needs good source material. So I hope the writers don't change to much.

Boreas

Staff member
"The Expanse" trailer. I stopped watching within the first few seconds because I want to read the books first. Looks good and I'm looking forward to it.