Upcoming Releases (Film & TV)

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
I was kinda looking forward to "Jupiter Ascending" by the brothers Wachowskis when I heard about it last year. I just saw the trailer and I am no longer looking forward to it.

João Ribeiro

I was kinda looking forward to "Jupiter Ascending" by the brothers Wachowskis when I heard about it last year. I just saw the trailer and I am no longer looking forward to it.
I think it suffered from the "The next Matrix" hype even before the trailer was out. Now it's suffering the "Not the next Matrix" effect. Still I'm hoping it will turn out entertaining. Worst case scenario we get Mila Kunis on screen ;)

Griffin

I really wish they would have used other actors (Kunis, Tatum), because the actually setting of the story looks rather good. Another one of those movies where I'll wait until I can watch it through the telly box.

João Ribeiro

Tatum has been improving and has started to prove himself as a versatile actor. In Foxcatcher for example he puts out a great performance.

sopranosfan

@sopranosfan I don't know if you know of this, but since you're the only one who read this around here, I figure you'd be interested.
Wayward Pines
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/
That was actually one of my deciding factors on reading the series. I was looking for a relatively small trilogy that wouldn't cost me much if anything and I found it on Amazon Unlimited and there was a sticker about it being a TV event on the cover. I figured if they were making a series about it that it couldn't be too bad.

João Ribeiro

By the way, just found this article about upcoming book adaptations.

ReguIa

It seems Jupiter Ascending is just flat out horrible according to some friends of mine that went to see it. So happy I decided on Kingsman instead.

Here are a few movies I'm excited for this year, in release order:
1. Chappie directed by Neill Blomkamp. Elysium was kind of a miss for me but I'm still hoping for another District 9.
2. Furious 7 directed by James Wan. God I'm gonna be heartbroken when I see Paul Walker :(
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron directed by Joss Whedon. I'm having a little problem with the Marvel movies. Sure throw a couple jokes if it fits but they are seriously over doing it in their movies. The first Avengers had just the right amount though, and Whedon is great with characters so I'm hoping for a good sequel.
4. Tomorrowland directed by Brad Bird. I have no idea what this is about. But when I saw that it's the same guy that did The Iron Giant I didn't need to know anything more.
5. Insidious: Chapter 3 directed by Leigh Whannell. As a kid used to love watching horror movies (I still get uncomfortable when I see a clown. Can you guess the movie?) but now I almost never watch any. It's too much blood and gore in them now and I only find that disgusting, not scary. It was just a happy accident that I watched the first Insidious some years back and I really liked it. Felt original and quite creepy.
6. Jurassic World directed by Colin Trevorrow. Come on who isn't gonna watch it ;)
7. Fantastic 4 directed by Josh Trank. Just like Neill Blomkamp Josh Trank came out of nowhere with a very good and original film (Chronicle). I'm gonna watch this unless it gets really, really bad reviews.
8. The Martian directed by Ridley Scott. I want to go into this without having watched a single trailer.
9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens directed by J.J. Abrams. I liked the Star Trek movies and the pressure here must have been a hell of a lot greater. I'm hoping there is more focus on the story this time and not only special effects. Fingers crossed.

A few others I might go see depending on the reviews:
Cinderella
Terminator Genisys
Ant-Man
Poltergeist
The Jungle Book
Mission Impossible 5
Spectre

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
It seems Jupiter Ascending is just flat out horrible according to some friends of mine that went to see it. So happy I decided on Kingsman instead.

1. Chappie directed by Neill Blomkamp. Elysium was kind of a miss for me but I'm still hoping for another District 9.
2. Furious 7 directed by James Wan. God I'm gonna be heartbroken when I see Paul Walker :(
3. Avengers: Age of Ultron directed by Joss Whedon. I'm having a little problem with the Marvel movies. Sure throw a couple jokes if it fits but they are seriously over doing it in their movies. The first Avengers had just the right amount though, and Whedon is great with characters so I'm hoping for a good sequel.
4. Tomorrowland directed by Brad Bird. I have no idea what this is about. But when I saw that it's the same guy that did The Iron Giant I didn't need to know anything more.
5. Insidious: Chapter 3 directed by Leigh Whannell. As a kid used to love watching horror movies (I still get uncomfortable when I see a clown. Can you guess the movie?) but now I almost never watch any. It's too much blood and gore in them now and I only find that disgusting, not scary. It was just a happy accident that I watched the first Insidious some years back and I really liked it. Felt original and quite creepy.
6. Jurassic World directed by Colin Trevorrow. Come on who isn't gonna watch it ;)
7. Fantastic 4 directed by Josh Trank. Just like Neill Blomkamp Josh Trank came out of nowhere with a very good and original film (Chronicle). I'm gonna watch this unless it gets really, really bad reviews.
8. The Martian directed by Ridley Scott. I want to go into this without having watched a single trailer.
9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens directed by J.J. Abrams. I liked the Star Trek movies and the pressure here must have been a hell of a lot greater. I'm hoping there is more focus on the story this time and not only special effects. Fingers crossed.

Cinderella
Terminator Genisys
Ant-Man
Poltergeist
The Jungle Book
Mission Impossible 5
Spectre
That's quite a list. I think I go to the movies about once a year. Last one was Hobbit #3. Next one will probably be Spectre...

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
The only two movies I'm supper duper excited for will not come out in 2015.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017), because I want more of this awesomeness :D

And Deadpool (2016) for different kind of awesomeness which you can see here. I hope they make it R rated, because Deadpool.

Boreas

Staff member

Cinderella
Terminator Genisys
Ant-Man
Poltergeist
The Jungle Book
Mission Impossible 5
Spectre
Wow. Like @Sneaky Burrito, I almost never go to the cinema anymore. I will go for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and maybe "Spectre".

Also, "Chronicle" was great. I really didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. If rumors of Blomkamp's Alien film turns out to be true, then hell yeah! Last two movies I saw at the theater were "Prometheus" and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" - both stupendous disappointments.

ReguIa

I've not heard about Blomkamp directing an Alien film but that would be awsome. As for Star Trek: Into Darkness I think the main reason I liked it was because of Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Boreas

Staff member
Yes!!!! Cannot wait! I would go see this at the theatre.

"If you can hear them, but you can't shoot them, you can probably grenade them." Wise words from Sharlto Copley.

wakarimasen

I thought that would be awful. I can't stand shaky cam films (it's just a contrivance to cover up for lack of budget).... but actually... that was quite enjoyable. A level of video game gore that made me chuckle - loving the fella who gets bounced up into the air with a grenade.

ofer

Lol this is awesome! Is this a joke or is this for real?
Watching this was totally like playing an old-fashioned FPS, down to picking up dead enemies' guns and spare ammo, and sprinting 10 meters without cover in order to surprise a guard from the back.
The only thing missing is the character finding a medi-pack which will instantly restore health.

Boreas

Staff member
Lol this is awesome! Is this a joke or is this for real?
Watching this was totally like playing an old-fashioned FPS, down to picking up dead enemies' guns and spare ammo, and sprinting 10 meters without cover in order to surprise a guard from the back.
The only thing missing is the character finding a medi-pack which will instantly restore health.
It's real. It's supposed to be released sometime this year, but there's no release date as of yet. Directed by Ilya Naishuller.

Two music videos directed by Naishuller for the band "Biting Elbows" with a similar first person point of view character. One story over the two videos and the real action starts in the 2nd video:

And some behind the scene vidoes of "Hardcore":

and

Boreas

Staff member
Because there's nothing better than a robot trying to be a suave South African Zef ghetto gangster. Blomkamp's Chappie, coming out in March. Die Antwoord's Ninja being in the film makes it even better.

I've not heard about Blomkamp directing an Alien film but that would be awsome.
It's been confirmed. He's doing an Alien film.

Last edited:

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Looking forward to Star Wars and The Martian..but knowing me,get wrapped up in something else and have to catch it on DVD but going to try. Chappie um yes,as a South African,I detest Die antwoord(for sooo many reasons),don't think I can sit through that,even if there is a robot. I heard there was a Shannara series but not sure,i'll wait for Game of thrones season 5 and see whats good

Boreas

Staff member
I detest Die antwoord(for sooo many reasons),don't think I can sit through that,even if there is a robot.
Ha, their music sucks, but I'm going to enjoy watching them on screen because they're all total freaks. Both the robot and Ninja look like aliens to me. Over the last couple of years, I've watched a few of their videos and each time I go "Lord, forgive me for what I've just seen". Their song/video "Cookie Thumper" is a perfect such example.

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Ha, their music sucks, but I'm going to enjoy watching them on screen because they're all total freaks. Both the robot and Ninja look like aliens to me. Over the last couple of years, I've watched a few of their videos and each time I go "Lord, forgive me for what I've just seen". Their song/video "Cookie Thumper" is a perfect such example.
I get that. I have that thing,where I always watch their videos just too complain,maybe a sick fascination. I will give the film the benefit of the doubt,there is a robot..love robots. Cant wait when there will be a feature length film with just robots..wait transformers..well not that one.