Sir Readalot
Staff member
Jurassic World: 1 more week!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Martian's trailer is out!
A. That made me smile.
B. That sent shivers down my spine with pure excitement.
C. Got a bit 'goose-bumpy'.
D. "Let's science the shit out of this" - So Watney!
E. Pleased to see a massive budget has evidently been thrown at this. It's one of the best books I've read.
F. I NEED TO WATCH THIS NOW!
G. I tend to get over-excited.

Ser Pounce

Journeyed there and back again
Won't lie, that trailer looks real promising. I don't watch many movies in the theaters but The Martian is looking very much like the exception.

Griffin

That thriller exceeds my expectations, but I've been let down before by promising trailers. I'll await the first reviews. Matt Damon does bother me much, and visually stunning, but I didn't expect any less with such a high budget.

ReguIa

They sure seem to have added some stuff to flesh it out a bit more, but other than that it looks to be following the book quite closely.

I hope they don't get the idea that they need to change too much. IMO that's the big problem with book adaptations nowadays. Take a well received book that has become a big hit and try to make a movie out of it. If you cut out 1/3 or more out of the story it most likely WILL NOT work on the big screen.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
A. That made me smile.
B. That sent shivers down my spine with pure excitement.
C. Got a bit 'goose-bumpy'.
D. "Let's science the shit out of this" - So Watney!
E. Pleased to see a massive budget has evidently been thrown at this. It's one of the best books I've read.
F. I NEED TO WATCH THIS NOW!
G. I tend to get over-excited.
Great Tom, now I have to go buy the book. :p

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
It's a minor thing but someone remind me did Mark Watney had a wife and a kid or was he single? I can't remember. It seems they put the family in for bigger drama, but I'm thinking he was single or possibly dating someone in the book? I'm not sure.

Trailer looks great, I usually don't watch the trailers, but since I know what's gonna happen, there's nothing to spoil the movie for me. I just hope Matt Damon will know how to pull sarcastic funny and wont be too serious.

Alucard

Staff member
Great Tom, now I have to go buy the book. :p
The book is so much fun. If you haven't already you should go an get it for sure.
It's 1 of 2 books I gave 5 stars out of the 26 I've read so far this year. To me this is the best read so far.

Alucard

Staff member
As far as I know he was single, or else he didn't think about his partner/wife/child in over 450 days making him a jackass.
Agree. Aww they're discriminating against the single people. Why can't they be protagonists. They do the same thing with old people. I can't remember the last time I watched a drama (movie) with a granny or a granddad as main characters.

It's like only people with families and kids can act out that human drama.

Griffin

Film studios do this all the time and it's immensely annoying. How can trying to survive on Mars not create enough human drama. It's beyond me that the studios and writers think that and so they lazily add a woman/child into the mix and think 'well, that's fixed'.

Alucard

Staff member
Film studios do this all the time and it's immensely annoying. How can trying to survive on Mars not create enough human drama. It's beyond me that the studios and writers think that and so they lazily add a woman/child into the mix and think 'well, that's fixed'.
I know right. It's like a single guy wouldn't have enough drive and willpower to get off the fuckin' Mars if he didn't have a wife and kids waiting on Earth. Get out of here with that bs!

Ok...I'm ranting. I don't wanna rant anymore.

Ser Pounce

Didn't see it posted yet so figured I'd do it. Pretty fun video for The Martian, especially for people that have read the novel.

Astronaut Mark Watney introduces the Ares 3 crew before their mission launch.

Anti_Quated

I know right. It's like a single guy wouldn't have enough drive and willpower to get off the fuckin' Mars if he didn't have a wife and kids waiting on Earth. Get out of here with that bs!
The juvenile part of me is pretty sure the single guy would be busy trying to find DAYUM! Fiiiiine!!! extra-terrestrial chicks to seduce, ala Kirk, or failing that, exploiting zero-gravity masturbation as a way to pass the time. Only once he's cleaned his pipes will he have the resolute focus and necessary gumption to get the job done.;)

Having not read The Martian I can only fathom how my cheap joke will have appalled some of you. Apologies. It's Friday, and I'm still somewhat reeling from a vivid, fever-esque dream only to awaken in a discombobulated and nigh-mawkish, thoroughly warranted state of lamentation, threnody on the tip of my lips, because of Sir Christopher Lee's passing.

So I suspect today will be full of boner jokes and other childish attempts at mindless mirth to elevate my mood. Damn shame. I should find a more suitable way of acknowledging the passing of such a fine actor and talent (plus he was a British Commando and made some kick-arse heavy metal music - the man earned a lot of kudos in my books).

ReguIa

Anyone care to recommend some movies that have been released on dvd/blu ray in the past year or so?
No idea what you usually like so I'll just mention a few that I enjoyed.

My favorite is probably Edge of Tomorrow. Still sad I didn't go see it at the cinema. It was just brilliant!

Kingsman: The Secret Service
Interstellar
Gone Girl
The Imitation Game
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Nightcrawler
Edge of Tomorrow
X-Men Days of Future Past

And of course this one!

Griffin

Went to see Jurassic World, it's not a good movie (plotholes, dialogues, stupidity of characters, unrealistic behaviour by dinosaurs), but it was a fun nonetheless. Before you watch it, turn on stupid-mode and enjoy this dinofest!