Upward price creep for Kindle fantasy novels

David Sims

Warded demons with Arlen
Several years ago, I said that the prices of fantasy novels could be approximately predicted by the number of years we are into the 21st century.

It's 2019, and here's a Kindle fantasy novel priced at (about) $19.

Dark Magic: The Godwars 2,
by Angus Wells
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00338074K/

Now, granted, this is the upper limit (as far as I know) for fantasy novels this year. But there are lots of Kindle fantasy novels that are almost up there, too. Indeed, $15 seems to have become pretty standard as the price when a new novel is released. George RR Martin's Fire & Blood presently sells for $16 in Kindle format. The Vindication of Man by John C. Wright and Siege of Stone: Sister of Darkness: The Nicci Chronicles, Volume III by Terry Goodkind are both selling for $17.

I've acquired the habit of waiting three years, and longer if necessary, for the price of a book to fall to something acceptable. What that is, I won't say here. And it isn't the same upper limit for all books anyway.

ExTended

Journeyed there and back again
The minimum wage in my country currently is around 300$/month.

The current price for paperback of Book of Dust( 2017 ) in my country is 15.00$ and the e-book is 8.00$, so approximately 5% and 2.1% of the minimum monthly wage.

Amazon Kindle e-book in US of the same book is 9.50$ and paperback is again around 15.00$. So not that big of a difference, except that the minimum wage in US is 300$ per week, so the same book is basically 4 times cheaper for a US citizen( because you can buy 410-420% more books with your monthly salary).

I'm not saying that book prices aren't astronomically high, but there are places in the world where it's even worse than US and in small countries like mine - reading is a luxury, same as being a smoker is.

ExTended

Well, it's neither here nor there.

The sad truth is that no matter how much you pay, the most that ever gets to the author is 10%, or 15% in very rare cases. Printing the book costs another 5-10% of the total price and you're left with 30% for the publisher and 50% for the bookstore.

We are not paying so much for the paper and for the author's time, but for the book's marketing, the publisher's profits and for the bookstore's rent.

It's even worse for the e-book versions of those same books where the cost of warehousing/printing/formatting/editing/distributing is so close to 0 it practically is 0.

Last edited:

Matticus Primal

You're preaching to the choir there. But the self publishing option is stealing away some talent, as demonstrated by Michael Sullivan (albeit being aware he started as self published) saying he's going self published from here on out. He's of a mind that the next crop of fantasy authors are going to forego trad publishing for a bigger slice of the pie, which will soon start pulling away some of the trad published authors.