Want a Book Suggestion on Horror Story

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Have you read It by Stephen King? It's a great horror story with some fantasy elements.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
The Terror by Dan Simmons fits this description too!
You just had to do it, didn't you? Want to bankrupt me? Now I have to buy another book... After the Hyperion Cantos I developed a serious bromance for Simmons and his work.

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
I'm looking, too! October is my month to scare the shit out of myself! What's good beyond King, Ketchum, Barker, Straub, etc? (All of whom I've read already)
As was already mentioned in this thread, Dan Simmons books are highly recommended (whether horror or sci-fi). The Terror was also my favorite horror book by him.
A relatively new name is Joe Hill - who is actually Stephen King's son. I quite liked NOS4A2.

Other then the names you mentioned, a few well-known names of horror writers are Dean Koontz, John Saul and Robert McCammon.

Suril Pandya

A farm boy with a sword
Hey,
I would like to suggest you to read "The Portrait of a Lady - Volume 2" by Henry James. This horror story novels brings in a gust of adrenaline with fear which often feels good.

craig

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
I am not much of a horror reader but I read a few at the end of last year.

The best I read was John dies at the end which is a comedy horror but really good in my opinion.

I read two of his books in a couple of weeks before I got addicted to fantasy.

an example of the humour which I found funny - his 2nd book is called 'this book is full of spiders' and the tagline is

'warning - you may have a giant invisible spider living in your head ... this is not a metaphor'

alicia

Warded demons with Arlen
I like comedy Horror, but find more of it in movies than books.

Horns turned out to be just so-so, but the Austin Crawley book was good enough that I've pre-ordered his next one.

I think I read a sample of John Dies At the End and didn't feel the urge to continue.

TheBloodyNine85

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I'm with Craig on this one. John Dies At The End was incredible. Combining horror and humor is extremely hard. I'm talking about real horror, as in things get really dark, not just throwing a monster into a funny story. Usually when this is attempted it is like reading two different books, the one where something unsettling is occurring and the other where something funny is said. It is jarring and removes you from the flow of the story. David Wong, the author, takes a genuinely disturbing narrative and brought tears to my eyes. The sequel is just as good if not better. Highly recommended.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm with Craig on this one. John Dies At The End was incredible. Combining horror and humor is extremely hard. I'm talking about real horror, as in things get really dark, not just throwing a monster into a funny story. Usually when this is attempted it is like reading two different books, the one where something unsettling is occurring and the other where something funny is said. It is jarring and removes you from the flow of the story. David Wong, the author, takes a genuinely disturbing narrative and brought tears to my eyes. The sequel is just as good if not better. Highly recommended.
Doesn't David write for the Cracked website?

TheBloodyNine85

Got in a fistfight with Dresden