Way of Kings confusion...

GhostWarrior

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
I was just given a £10 Amazon voucher and decided to purchase Way of Kings. I noticed that it was split into two separate parts due to its apparent size but when I read the reviews there are quite a few 1 or 2 star reviews stating that the second part is the exact same as the last quarter of the first book. One also stated that it was a condensed version of the entire first book. Yet another called it an unnecessary companion book. Seems really strange to me. Am I missing something?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I was just given a £10 Amazon voucher and decided to purchase Way of Kings. I noticed that it was split into two separate parts due to its apparent size but when I read the reviews there are quite a few 1 or 2 star reviews stating that the second part is the exact same as the last quarter of the first book. One also stated that it was a condensed version of the entire first book. Yet another called it an unnecessary companion book. Seems really strange to me. Am I missing something?
Well, I guess you will have to wait for a UK forum member to answer. I went to the Amazon UK site and tried searching the "Look Inside" feature (of both volumes) for stuff near the very end of my hardcover (US) copy (chapter 75 and epilogue and appendix material). Unfortunately, most of the book is not part of the "Look Inside" preview and my searches were therefore unsuccessful.

I tried...

GhostWarrior

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
Well, I guess you will have to wait for a UK forum member to answer. I went to the Amazon UK site and tried searching the "Look Inside" feature (of both volumes) for stuff near the very end of my hardcover (US) copy (chapter 75 and epilogue and appendix material). Unfortunately, most of the book is not part of the "Look Inside" preview and my searches were therefore unsuccessful. I tried...
Heh, thanks anyway ;)

From what I can make out of the review comments the book has been released not only in two parts but also as an omnibus edition. Amazon has apparently been fulfilling part one orders with the omnibus edition. This doesn't explain the review stating that part two is nothing more than a condensed version of the supposed part one though so I think I'm going to try tracking down the 1k+ page edition elsewhere to make sure I get what I'm looking for.

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I didn't even know they were releasing Way of Kings in parts. The american edition has always been just 1 giant 1k+page book.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whenever I've seen them in Waterstones they've always been in 'parts' .. I thought it was going down the ASOIAF route where the books are split into two parts to rake in more cash!

Not read it myself though. Not a big fan of starting unfinished series, although saying that, I probably will at some point!!!

Zarien

I can say its definitely worth the read. It's a bit of a slow start, but it picks up and leaves you wanting more. I think the next book comes out a year from now. Maybe sooner, I forget.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Way of Kings is massive, Jordan would be proud, if it's split it's no surprise to me honestly.

There are some repetitive parts in the book but over all it's one of the best new fantasy series to date and the opening volume was EPIC. Kallan's stuff can get a little old, but where it goes is all awesome. You can still get the book for less than ten bucks though if I recall correctly, which is about a cent a page considering how long the book is.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
The Way of Kings is the most perfect book I've read. 99% of all books are at least a little bit repetitive.

Zarien

Way of Kings is massive, Jordan would be proud, if it's split it's no surprise to me honestly.

There are some repetitive parts in the book but over all it's one of the best new fantasy series to date and the opening volume was EPIC. Kallan's stuff can get a little old, but where it goes is all awesome. You can still get the book for less than ten bucks though if I recall correctly, which is about a cent a page considering how long the book is.

The ebook version goes on sale a lot, right now its 7 bucks on kindle.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I read it as one whole thing as an ebook. But in Aus is in two parts in the book stores. I have no idea what that reviewer was talking about. Might be a stylistic issue they had with it, rather than they are actually saying it was exactly the same.

Zarien

thats crazy they break it up into two books in other countries. Especially since it was released as one whole book. Are the two books combined costing more?

Amaryllis

I don't think it was anywhere close to the most perfect book, but you know what they say about opinions.

It's especially weird that somebody would bash the second 'book' of it, when, assuming they didn't mess with the chronology, the second part was where all the action happened. The first book was where Shallan had entirely too many PoVs and Kaladin couldn't stop flashbacking to being a child.

Zarien

I don't think it was anywhere close to the most perfect book, but you know what they say about opinions.

It's especially weird that somebody would bash the second 'book' of it, when, assuming they didn't mess with the chronology, the second part was where all the action happened. The first book was where Shallan had entirely too many PoVs and Kaladin couldn't stop flashbacking to being a child.

I don't know where the second book started, but I can definitely say that the in the whole copy edition of the book that the second half of the book was way more interesting. I didn't hate the first half, it just took a long time to ramp up to the good stuff. But after dealing with steven erikson I can handle any amount of slow beginnings thrown at me now.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
But after dealing with steven erikson I can handle any amount of slow beginnings thrown at me now.
Ha! Too true! :)

I cut my fantasy tooth with Wheel of Time, so have learnt to tolerate slowly moving story lines!

Hand of Fear

Looking at the prices it's about £6 per book in the U.K so not sure how much that will be for different countries.

Slightly off topic but I haven't bought these yet but will get around to buying them, but I'm confused over the book order.

Is the Stormlight Archives different from the Mistborn books, and what is the correct order they should be read.

Hoping one of the Forum members can help.

Thanks

Sir Arthur

Looking at the prices it's about £6 per book in the U.K so not sure how much that will be for different countries.

Slightly off topic but I haven't bought these yet but will get around to buying them, but I'm confused over the book order.

Is the Stormlight Archives different from the Mistborn books, and what is the correct order they should be read.

Thanks
Stormlight is a whole new series, only the first of ten planed books has been published. "The Way of Kings" is the title of the first book.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
The Mistborn books, Warbreaker, the Elantris' world books, and the Stormlight Archive, which is just starting with Way of Kings, are all part of Sanderson's shared Universe and are all interconnected by characters and themes.

Zarien

Thanks
On my iPad or I would type it out but here is the order for mistborn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn_series

Elantris and war breaker are stand alone novels of his. Good reads, but separate from mistborn or stormlight, like the others said, Way of Kings is book 1 of an entire new series Sanderson is writing and book 2 is slated to be released in January. I would read the mistborn series first. They're a solid series and some of sandersons best early work. Will give you a feel for his writing before you work up to way of the kings. Plus, if you save way of the kings till after mistborn, it will be a little fresher in your head for when the second book, words of radiance, releases in January.

If you're on a budget, save elantris and war breaker for a rainy day. They're good, but not THAT good, and there are certainly better reads for the same price. You can also likely pick those two up at a used book store for a dollar or two if you look hard enough.

If you have to choose between mistborn and Way of kings price wise, go with way of kings. It might start off slow, but it ramps up and has the potential to reach the same levels of epic fantasy as wheel of time if the series continues to perform as well as the first novel.